Facial Recognition Testing

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
what if you dye your hair or wear a toupee/wig? 1st argument in favor of continued mask wearing?
Depends. Are you also wearing lizard-eyes contact lenses? Botoxing out all your forehead wrinkles? Shaving your eyebrows and redrawing them back in with a different shape? Taping back the skin on your temples to change the distance of your eyes from each other? Stuffing tissues way up your nose to make it more bulbous?

GimpYancIent

Too much. I am curious however since the objective is to get an identifiable image of the guests as the park is entered, now work with me here. Why not simply install a photopass camera at each entry point use your magic band or electronic device to electronically I.D. yourself, remove your headgear, glasses and smile at the unblinking camera lense, when the light or background turns green move along. Disney will have a file image, corroborated who you are and authorized to enter. I think cheaper and less hassle than all this tech ware. Oh yea, it can be part of your photopass Disney experience album too.

Last edited:

homerdance

Sorry to spoil it for all of you who are concerned about the implications of this, but Disney has been doing facial recognition at WDW park entrances for many years. This is just an additional, guest facing eye level camera that will replace the biometric scanner interaction with ticket media.
And at the airport when you arrive, and as you leave, along with thousands of other places.

Too much. I am curious however since the objective is to get an identifiable image of the guests as the park is entered, now work with me here. Why not simply install a photopass camera at each entry point use your magic band or electronic device to electronically I.D. yourself, remove your headgear, glasses and smile at the unblinking camera lense, when the light or background turns green move along. Disney will have a file image, corroborated who you are and authorized to enter. I think cheaper and less hassle than all this tech ware. Oh yea, it can be part of your photopass Disney experience album too.

How would a photopass be any cheapter than the automated system? The math just doesn't work.

GimpYancIent

And at the airport when you arrive, and as you leave, along with thousands of other places.

How would a photopass be any cheapter than the automated system? The math just doesn't work.
This whole imaging concept for Disney's purposes is over kill, an irritation to the guests and at a time to pay attention to $$$$$ a waste. Is Disney going to build its own nuclear power plant? (actually Disney legally can) then yea talk about detailed security tech such as facial imaging. For current stated purposes photopass will do.

homerdance

This whole imaging concept for Disney's purposes is over kill, an irritation to the guests and at a time to pay attention to $$$$$ a waste. Is Disney going to build its own nuclear power plant? (actually Disney legally can) then yea talk about detailed security tech such as facial imaging. For current stated purposes photopass will do.
What? How does a photo pass save any money or make any of it easier? Facial recognition is already used in WDW, the infrastructure is already there. It would actually cost way more money to have a photopass person take every guests picture, then do a stare and compare when they re-enter.

TrainsOfDisney

Why not simply install a photopass camera at each entry point use your magic band or electronic device to electronically I.D. yourself, remove your headgear, glasses and smile at the unblinking camera lense, when the light or background turns green move along.
Disneyland used PhotoPass for the Pass Photographs for a while. It was in between the annual pass center operation (now jolly holiday cafe) and the all Front Gate CM’s have an iPhone to photograph you system.

It was my favorite solution “anytime today before you leave the park have your photo taken by any PhotoPass photographer” - simple and easy and welcoming!

raymusiccity

That will never happen my state 2066 new cases in one day. Welcome to forever masking!
All vaccines are 100% effective preventing any complications leading to hospitalization and/or death. Masking will be voluntary for those not taking a vaccine......or, until the next election. 😊

erasure fan1

Call me untrusting, but this is a bit too Big Brother-ish for my tastes currently.

And apparently the market for “unauthorized ticket usage” is massive for Disney to want to spend money on facial recognition. Gotta make sure all the blood squeezed out of guests goes into their bucket, right? 😉
Hey, no loss is ever to small to care about at Disney. Just ask the chips on the soda cups. I was reading they are thinking of integrating the facial technology into the ketchup and mustard pumps. Apparently too many people are taking extra condiments and it's costing them 10s of dollars. :p

Amidala

We're all internet users so I think the ship has probably sailed on preventing surveillance. On balance, I'm more worried about social media data mining, targeted advertisement, etc. than I am about Disney using facial recognition. Agree that retinal scans could be more efficient for this specific purpose but obviously facial recognition has a wider range of potential applications (and would be more affordable, as others have pointed out). I'm fine with taking a wait and see approach here, definitely wondering how "seamless" the process has been for the test subjects so far.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
Please forgive me if I’m missing something, but what is this facial recognition used for? And what was the fingerprint scanning used for before that? You use your ticket or MagicBand to get into the park, right?

_caleb

Please forgive me if I’m missing something, but what is this facial recognition used for? And what was the fingerprint scanning used for before that? You use your ticket or MagicBand to get into the park, right?
Disney requires that each ticket be tied to a specific park guest. The biometric information is used to make sure whoever tries to use a park ticket is the person that ticket was purchased for. This prevents someone from using another person's Annual or Multi-day Pass, adults from using kids tickets, and makes sure people don't pass park-hopper tickets through the gates to get friends into other parks.

Now, they want to have cameras help determine this, rather than the finger scan (or just a CM comparing your photo to what they have on file). The biggest reason for this seems to be keeping people who have been banned from the parks out. Other applications have been mentioned upthread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom