Facial Recognition Testing

_caleb

It might be more reliable if you are a white, young to middle-aged man. Across the board facial recognition systems generally have a problem with anyone else by several orders of magnitude.
I've been wondering how Disney plans to handle this! I'd love to know which technology/technologies Disney is going to use for this, because there several different kinds of facial recognition. Some use 3D scans of faces, but many intentionally convert images to 2D so that they can be more readily compared to online images/databases (FBI wanted lists, social media, etc.) Several systems are notoriously bad at recognizing faces with darker skin tones. I'm sure Disney will have secondary screening for anyone the system cannot recognize, but it is not acceptable for anyone with darker skin to have to go through additional screening.

But didn't the signage indicate that guests who opted IN to the facial recognition test were to leave their face masks on? To me, this would indicate a more advanced system that could still identify someone even wearing a mask, glasses, prosthetic. Is this is the case, I'm hopeful Disney is using something that would be at least as fast, accurate, and smarter than a consumer smart phone.

Did anyone see any additional infrastructure (backdrops, lighting, etc.)? These could help with a solid initial scan upon entry to the parks.

GimpYancIent

Please forgive me if I’m missing something, but what is this facial recognition used for? And what was the fingerprint scanning used for before that? You use your ticket or MagicBand to get into the park, right?
Maybe the development of a database of various facial features to be able to print out facial masks (more life like) for AA's. The catching shop lifters excuse is lame.

DCBaker

Premium Member
But didn't the signage indicate that guests who opted IN to the facial recognition test were to leave their face masks on? To me, this would indicate a more advanced system that could still identify someone even wearing a mask, glasses, prosthetic. Is this is the case, I'm hopeful Disney is using something that would be at least as fast, accurate, and smarter than a consumer smart phone.

Did anyone see any additional infrastructure (backdrops, lighting, etc.)? These could help with a solid initial scan upon entry to the parks.

We went through the facial recognition line yesterday and the entry lane area didn't look any different to us, besides the digital display box.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
It’s so you can’t give your ticket or magic band to other folks to gain entrance to the park.

Disney requires that each ticket be tied to a specific park guest. The biometric information is used to make sure whoever tries to use a park ticket is the person that ticket was purchased for. This prevents someone from using another person's Annual or Multi-day Pass, adults from using kids tickets, and makes sure people don't pass park-hopper tickets through the gates to get friends into other parks.

Now, they want to have cameras help determine this, rather than the finger scan (or just a CM comparing your photo to what they have on file). The biggest reason for this seems to be keeping people who have been banned from the parks out. Other applications have been mentioned upthread.
Ah. That makes sense. Thank you!

Walt d

It’s so you can’t give your ticket or magic band to other folks to gain entrance to the park.
And what are they doing with my kisser? I hate Bobby i leave all ready. Before everything is all changed.. we dont need your psycho ideas! Your bad news bobby. Aren’t you too old now.?

TikibirdLand

Here's a good video on how to defeat facial recognition. They were using OpenCV. Also, a good discussion from HAK5 on the trend of banning facial recognition.

Disney fingerprinting data is pretty sparse; nowhere near the level of detail held by the DMV, for example. if they did, they wouldn't be able to process it as quickly as they do. I'm betting the facial recognition will be similarly low-res, mainly for speed.

ETA: I don't know what system Disney is using. But, in the video, you'll see there's lots of ways to confuse these things!

_caleb

Here's a good video on how to defeat facial recognition. They were using OpenCV. Also, a good discussion from HAK5 on the trend of banning facial recognition.

Disney fingerprinting data is pretty sparse; nowhere near the level of detail held by the DMV, for example. if they did, they wouldn't be able to process it as quickly as they do. I'm betting the facial recognition will be similarly low-res, mainly for speed.

ETA: I don't know what system Disney is using. But, in the video, you'll see there's lots of ways to confuse these things!
Great links! Thanks for sharing.

It seems to me that Disney would want to implement a system with higher accuracy if they’re going to use it beyond just matching faces to tickets (Photopass, etc.). My understanding is that systems that look at facial features (geometry, shape) are more accurate than those that simply look at appearance (which can be more easily fooled), but you’re right, the simpler would be faster.

That’s why I asked if there are any other changes to the checkpoint area. Color-keyed backdrops, better lighting, or multiple-camera arrays would help improve accuracy and speed of recognition. But they could also have a negative impact on guest experience.

EPCOTCenterLover

Hmmm...
Disney has decided to use facial recognition software in a test at Walt Disney World? Sure, it seems innocent enough, but if you take a look at China and their use of it there, this is just opening the door to a growing lack of personal freedoms in our country. Of course, evil is always packaged as good so the masses will accept it. Are we in the US on the road to follow them? Check this out:

Freedom House, an organization focused on preserving freedom for all people, publishes an annual report that ranks each country based on a series of issues. Their 2020 report shows China near the bottom of the rankings of countries where its citizens and information are free. Traditional news agencies are controlled by the government. Social media networks and other applications and platforms are monitored by the government and regularly made unavailable during specific times of the day or altogether inoperable during times of protest and political unrest. Number of children is limited. The ability to travel or purchase freely varies. Facial recognition technology is now in use in China's public transportation and continues to be rolled out with even more applications throughout the country.

It all begins somewhere. Let's hope Disney abandons this idea.

_caleb

Hmmm...
Disney has decided to use facial recognition software in a test at Walt Disney World? Sure, it seems innocent enough, but if you take a look at China and their use of it there, this is just opening the door to a growing lack of personal freedoms in our country. Of course, evil is always packaged as good so the masses will accept it. Are we in the US on the road to follow them? Check this out:

Freedom House, an organization focused on preserving freedom for all people, publishes an annual report that ranks each country based on a series of issues. Their 2020 report shows China near the bottom of the rankings of countries where its citizens and information are free. Traditional news agencies are controlled by the government. Social media networks and other applications and platforms are monitored by the government and regularly made unavailable during specific times of the day or altogether inoperable during times of protest and political unrest. Number of children is limited. The ability to travel or purchase freely varies. Facial recognition technology is now in use in China's public transportation and continues to be rolled out with even more applications throughout the country.

I do not believe Disney taking your picture is the beginning of Communist totalitarianism.

Also, this post may have been appropriate 15, 20 years ago, but facial recognition has been around for a long time now. Consumer level point-and-shoot digital cameras were able to detect faces way back in 2008. Facebook starting asking users to “tag” the faces its algorithm recognized back in 2010. Traffic cameras, toll booths, security cameras, ATMs, Point of Sale systems, etc. all take our photos all the time, and many systems store them in a database for later reference.

I understand your concern, but the ship has sailed on face recognition.

EPCOTCenterLover

I do not believe Disney taking your picture is the beginning of Communist totalitarianism.

Also, this post may have been appropriate 15, 20 years ago, but facial recognition has been around for a long time now. Consumer level point-and-shoot digital cameras were able to detect faces way back in 2008. Facebook starting asking users to “tag” the faces its algorithm recognized back in 2010. Traffic cameras, toll booths, security cameras, ATMs, Point of Sale systems, etc. all take our photos all the time, and many systems store them in a database for later reference.

I understand your concern, but the ship has sailed on face recognition.
I'd recommend you investigate the FreedomHouse.org site. You might change your mind.

_caleb

I'd recommend you investigate the FreedomHouse.org site. You might change your mind.
Oh I read it. Here’s link for anyone who’d like to check it out.

I understand that some governments use facial recognition to find and arrest dissidents. As we’ve mentioned, the technology isn’t perfect. But the article you shared repeatedly equated FRT with “tracking.” These are not necessarily the same thing. For example, this quote:

“If the government can track everyone who goes to a place of worship, attends a political rally, or seeks healthcare for reproductive health or substance use, we lose our freedom to speak our minds, freely criticize the government, pray to the god we want, and access healthcare in private.”

The government knows where I go to church whether they use facial recognition or not. But they’re not the only ones—Ford, Apple, PayPal, Visa, and my bank my local law enforcement, Facebook, Twitter, and the Bible App developers all know when and where I go to church. This does not limit my freedom in any way.

The article also mentioned that law enforcement “turning to FRT” to identify participants in the Capitol riots earlier this year. But the FBI does not rely SOLELY on FRT to identify suspects. They also use people, who look with their eyes to determine who might have been at the scene.

I completely agree that this technology (and pretty much all technology) can be used by a government against citizens to limit their freedom in some way (where’s the freedomhouse.org letter to Congress about remotely disabling my car?). But in my opinion, Disney taking your picture when you enter their parks is nowhere near that slippery slope.

GimpYancIent

I understand that some governments use facial recognition to find and arrest dissidents. As we’ve mentioned, the technology isn’t perfect. But the article you shared repeatedly equated FRT with “tracking.” These are not necessarily the same thing. For example, this quote:

“If the government can track everyone who goes to a place of worship, attends a political rally, or seeks healthcare for reproductive health or substance use, we lose our freedom to speak our minds, freely criticize the government, pray to the god we want, and access healthcare in private.”

The government knows where I go to church whether they use facial recognition or not. But they’re not the only ones—Ford, Apple, PayPal, Visa, and my bank my local law enforcement, Facebook, Twitter, and the Bible App developers all know when and where I go to church. This does not limit my freedom in any way.

The article also mentioned that law enforcement “turning to FRT” to identify participants in the Capitol riots earlier this year. But the FBI does not rely SOLELY on FRT to identify suspects. They also use people, who look with their eyes to determine who might have been at the scene.

I completely agree that this technology (and pretty much all technology) can be used by a government against citizens to limit their freedom in some way (where’s the freedomhouse.org letter to Congress about remotely disabling my car?). But in my opinion, Disney taking your picture when you enter their parks is nowhere near that slippery slope.
Fair! Still FRT is a bit beyond simply taking a picture of your face. For Disney's purposes Meh!.

EPCOTCenterLover

Thank you for taking the time to read it and to respond.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And what are they doing with my kisser? I hate Bobby i leave all ready. Before everything is all changed.. we dont need your psycho ideas! Your bad news bobby. Aren’t you too old now.?
I wonder what they'd do if a sizeable number of guests started showing up wearing a standard pattern of facepaint...
1616756600570.png

Disstevefan1

Poor Bobby.... I also am not a fan of Mr. Chapek, but I think this facial rec. stuff was in the works for a long time.

As for Bobby, as we all can see, he is coming in as the leader at what could be considered the worst time in the history of the theme parks at least.

I think we all know, IF the economy stays in good shape, TWDC will naturally bounce back; the theme parks and the entire company will be as successful as ever and maybe more successful, and Bobby will get the credit.

IF the economy goes bad, all bets are off, and Bobby will get the blame. This really does not matter to Bobby, could you imagine the separation package Bobby will get if he is fired? Millions and Millions $$$$

Its all about the economy. And for the US, that’s on Joey. Let’s see what happens.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Hmmm...

OK, you do understand that Disney is NOT storing your picture anywhere, right? Just like the fingerprint scanners never saved your actual fingerprint, these make a digital number that is stored in a database. When you enter the park, your scan your MB, the cameras look at you, and compare the number created with the one in the database. Nothing more.

The amount of misinformation in this thread is quite astounding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom