Facial Recognition Testing

raymusiccity

One body part at a time.
Or, please move down to the line all the way over to the left: It's a very simple procedure! :oops:

265776_web--swab-poster.gif

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Looks like Disney is finally testing the facial recognition tech they’ve been working on. Test happening at MK for a month, easy to opt out. I’ve been hinting at it for a while, but glad to finally see some progress on it.

More details:

Magic Kingdom now testing facial recognition for theme park entrance in place of finger scanners​

MyMagicPlus_Full_41446.jpg
Step #1 - have a face :). It's going to very hard for the BEST facial recognition tech, to deal with this 😅

Attachments

• adult-gorilla-sublimated-face-mask.jpg
    adult-gorilla-sublimated-face-mask.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 54

solidyne

Never said perceived value to guests but the value Disney gets out of it. Disney has already mentioned the images will not be retained beyond 30 days, how will that enhance security tracking long term i.e. people that are banned?
Maybe the 30-day limit is only for this trial run. Once implemented for real, maybe the system will retain the info forever.

Lilofan

Maybe the 30-day limit is only for this trial run. Once implemented for real, maybe the system will retain the info forever.
If a guest is caught shoplifting , felony, assault etc the facial recognition should be able to catch the guest if the person tries to enter the park again. Curious if law enforcement gets involved looking for bad guys through facial recognition.

JoeCamel

If a guest is caught shoplifting , felony, assault etc the facial recognition should be able to catch the guest if the person tries to enter the park again. Curious if law enforcement gets involved looking for bad guys through facial recognition.
For a $50 mickey t-shirt? Their markup is so high 1/2 of another shirt sold will cover it so less than half again the cost to them.

GimpYancIent

For a $50 mickey t-shirt? Their markup is so high 1/2 of another shirt sold will cover it so less than half again the cost to them.
Facial recognition tech is used as we speak for a number of law enforcement applications, that said, shoplifting is really low on the list for its potential use. The retention of honest, law abiding, innocent guests data w Disney unable to give 100% assurance others can not access and abuse the information concerns me. Old tech like credit cards is a good example how data can be corrupted, stolen, falsified and abused despite passwords, codes and other checks.

_caleb

Is Disney a theme park or the government/airport.

Next they will want to put chips in us. Oh wait, some people already want that.
“Chips?” What do you think a MagicBand is? Or your mobile phone? Your credit card?

And the point of facial recognition technology is to not need a “chip” on your person. The info is stored in a database and tied to your biometric identification (in this case, the distance between your eyes, the depth of your eye sockets, the distance from forehead to chin, the shape of your cheekbones, and the contour of the lips, ears, and chin.)

Disney already has a profile on you. The profile already includes your photograph. This new technology connects that profile to the measurements of your face so they can add data about your appearance and behavior to that profile.

I understand why some would want to opt out of this. But don’t think for a moment that Disney doesn’t already know quite a bit about you.

_caleb

The bigger concern is the chipping away of everyone's personal privacy. This stuff never happens overnight, its slow and methodical.
Our lives are FAR less private than most people think. When millions of people use cameras, carry always-tracking devices, and install always-listening microphones, use credit cards and the internet, there’s little you can do that is truly “private.”

Disney’s already been doing this stuff. I think the only reason they’re notifying guests about this latest initiative is to gauge public response and to stay ahead of Europe’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

EDIT: I think privacy is important and that consumers should own their personal information.

solidyne

You're just unaware that facial recognition software is already present in lots of public places. Being public, there's no assumption of privacy.
View attachment 541927
The technology is no more acceptable simply because it is ubiquitous.

Actually, since Disney private property, I am actually less concerned with it in the MK than in public places. Unless, of course, all the data is shared anyway, which it undoubtedly is.

GimpYancIent

“Chips?” What do you think a MagicBand is? Or your mobile phone? Your credit card?

And the point of facial recognition technology is to not need a “chip” on your person. The info is stored in a database and tied to your biometric identification (in this case, the distance between your eyes, the depth of your eye sockets, the distance from forehead to chin, the shape of your cheekbones, and the contour of the lips, ears, and chin.)

Disney already has a profile on you. The profile already includes your photograph. This new technology connects that profile to the measurements of your face so they can add data about your appearance and behavior to that profile.

I understand why some would want to opt out of this. But don’t think for a moment that Disney doesn’t already know quite a bit about you.
The difference is a chip ON you, as in worn vs a chip IN you, as in implanted. The idea of tattooed bar codes is not appealing either. There is a point where all this becomes overly invasive and not acceptable. To have some data / information on file about someone is one thing to look at it from the aspect of how to control people's behavior to what the corporation wants. No! My view is simple I am not here for the corporation the corporation is here for me and my fellow guests.

GimpYancIent

The technology is no more acceptable simply because it is ubiquitous.

Actually, since Disney private property, I am actually less concerned with it in the MK than in public places. Unless, of course, all the data is shared anyway, which it undoubtedly is.
The Disney legal department will probably be sending you a notice disputing your allegation of personal data sharing w third parties. That said there is no 100% guarantee of data security.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The Disney legal department will probably be sending you a notice disputing your allegation of personal data sharing w third parties. That said there is no 100% guarantee of data security.
So because the facial recognition system only saves a numeric representation of your face, NOT an actual picture of you, then what are any third party companies going to do with that number??????? What is a hacker going to do with it? Hack their system so that they can tie their face to a Disney park ticket instead of the owner of the ticket?

It is absolutely no different than the old fingerprint scanners which did the exact same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom