Facemask for 2 Year Old

arich35

First, I don't understand why Disney is requiring a two year old to be in a facemask, it is crazy to me.

Second, has anyone had luck finding a facemask their toddler will actually wear? And how did you get them to keep it on?

We are going in May and our daughter will be 26 months old and at this rate I don't see any way she will keep a mask on. She won't even keep a hat or sunglasses on, she hates it.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

People are advising the OP to "teach" the child to wear face masks, which is actually dangerous for the child, who is well under the age of two. So nothing can be done now except to wait for several months. There may be a dramatic change in the number of cases or a widely used vaccine. I don't know every bit as much about this as you don't know.

Also, requirements based on age are arbitrary, as is apparent from the fact that other businesses do not require face masks at such a young age. In the next 8 months, if Disney finds itself at a disadvantage vis a vis other amusement parks, it may raise the age requirement. The course of the virus may change, vaccines could be developed, more information about how the virus is transmitted may be discovered, rapid COVID tests may be developed, etc., any of which could provoke a change in the mask requirements.

In the meantime, @arich35, email Disney and let them know your thoughts about requiring face masks for 2-year-olds.

I wasn't suggesting anything one way or the other in terms of when to introduce mask wearing to a child.

I was only responding to the notion that conditions could change. Based on Disney's approach and reports on vaccine timing, my best guess is that the conditions in May will match the conditions now.

Therefore, any planning, strictly in my opinion, should be based on the assumption that a mask will be required.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
I wasn't suggesting anything one way or the other in terms of when to introduce mask wearing to a child.

I was only responding to the notion that conditions could change. Based on Disney's approach and reports on vaccine timing, my best guess is that the conditions in May will match the conditions now.

Therefore, any planning, strictly in my opinion, should be based on the assumption that a mask will be required.
My best guess is that conditions will change by May and that planning for COVID precautions for a 2-year-old eight months before the trip is a wasted effort. This is counterintuitive to anyone who has experienced WDW in the past several years, but right now the best you can do is work on being flexible. No one knows generally what the conditions will be like in May or specifically whether face masks will still be required for very young children.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

If the mask rule is still in place 5 or 6 months from now (and frankly I think it will be) I would start training your child then. Kids change so fast when they are that young. Something that is a problem now may or may not be a problem then. Also remember that I believe all the major airlines are also requiring masks for ages 2 and up, if you are flying.

I've heard of people having success by having their kids get masks that have characters/colors/patterns they like. Using an ear saver is helpful for some kids too. There are a lot of shops on Etsy that have masks for varying ages.

Upvote 0

teenie0140

I dont have advice, but just wanted to sympathize with you. I have 27 month old twins and they REFUSE to even have a mask near them. One of them left a mask on for 30 seconds, once. We've been trying since they turned 2 with no luck. If you figure out how, let me know, as I'm at a loss as well! Good luck!!
(And we've tried different types of masks)

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

As an OT who has had to work with kids wearing burn garments and doing things that were painful and that they absolutely didn't want to do, there are great suggestions by other posters about using rewards and staying consistent. I absolutely agree with displaying the attitude you want your son to have around the masks--kids totally take their cues from the parent.

Start slow! You may only get a few seconds here or there. But keep at it. Some other tips you might try with the reward chart--have your son wear the mask during screen time (if you do that at that age; we always had Sesame St. before nap time). Use sticker/M&M as a reward. If reading, see if he can keep the mask on the whole time and then reward (definitely put your mask on at the same time). If your son has a favorite teddy/Mickey, have him put a mask on that toy as well. Use your phone's timer and make it a game. Use the reward system when out shopping as he progresses to challenge him to wear it the whole time at grocery store (if he goes out). Do "test runs" by going to a local zoo, etc to see if he can keep mask on.

If you know someone who sews, getting some reusable masks with characters on them might be fun. Etsy has a ton of shops with kids masks. Not sure how the pre-made cloth ones are but measure your son's face across from ear to ear and from bridge of nose to under chin to get a general sense of size. Here's an example of masks for 2-5. y.o from amazon that are disposable.

https://www.amazon.com/Paw-Patrol-C...fix=children's+face+mask+age+2,aps,238&sr=8-7

Hopefully, as others have mentioned, masks may be relaxed. But be prepared to go, wear a mask and have a good time. Take lots of breaks. But know that Disney is getting more serious with the wearing of masks...And, if all else fails when you get to WDW, you don't have to have a mask at the pool! 😉 Wish you guys luck!

1603525052631.png

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
As an OT who has had to work with kids wearing burn garments and doing things that were painful and that they absolutely didn't want to do, there are great suggestions by other posters about using rewards and staying consistent. I absolutely agree with displaying the attitude you want your son to have around the masks--kids totally take their cues from the parent.

Start slow! You may only get a few seconds here or there. But keep at it. Some other tips you might try with the reward chart--have your son wear the mask during screen time (if you do that at that age; we always had Sesame St. before nap time). Use sticker/M&M as a reward. If reading, see if he can keep the mask on the whole time and then reward (definitely put your mask on at the same time). If your son has a favorite teddy/Mickey, have him put a mask on that toy as well. Use your phone's timer and make it a game. Use the reward system when out shopping as he progresses to challenge him to wear it the whole time at grocery store (if he goes out). Do "test runs" by going to a local zoo, etc to see if he can keep mask on.

If you know someone who sews, getting some reusable masks with characters on them might be fun. Etsy has a ton of shops with kids masks. Not sure how the pre-made cloth ones are but measure your son's face across from ear to ear and from bridge of nose to under chin to get a general sense of size. Here's an example of masks for 2-5. y.o from amazon that are disposable.

https://www.amazon.com/Paw-Patrol-Childrens-Assorted-Designs/dp/B08DLK5DG2/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2NYAJ7COPWFG&dchild=1&keywords=childrens+disposable+face+mask+age+2-4&qid=1603524008&sprefix=children's+face+mask+age+2,aps,238&sr=8-7

Hopefully, as others have mentioned, masks may be relaxed. But be prepared to go, wear a mask and have a good time. Take lots of breaks. But know that Disney is getting more serious with the wearing of masks...And, if all else fails when you get to WDW, you don't have to have a mask at the pool! 😉 Wish you guys luck!

View attachment 508127
Thank you for the advice! I think earlier in the new year we will start trying to get her use to the mask and hopefully by May she will be wearing one with ease!

Upvote 0

Figmentfam

I would resheadule my trip. It is not safe for toddlers to wear mask it is not worth putting your childs health at risk. I work in the medical field and speaking with a respitory therapist at Cook Childrens hopital he said face masks are dangerous for anyone under the age of 10.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I work in the medical field and speaking with a respitory therapist at Cook Childrens hopital he said face masks are dangerous for anyone under the age of 10.
That flies in the face of other information available, which is pretty much unanimous that kids 2 and older who are otherwise healthy shouldn't have any problems associated with wearing a mask. Whether or not they'll do it willingly is an entirely separate issue...

Upvote 0

BWDVCkidsince96

First, I don't understand why Disney is requiring a two year old to be in a facemask, it is crazy to me.

Second, has anyone had luck finding a facemask their toddler will actually wear? And how did you get them to keep it on?

We are going in May and our daughter will be 26 months old and at this rate I don't see any way she will keep a mask on. She won't even keep a hat or sunglasses on, she hates it.
I haven't read all of the replies, but I have a 3 year old and have gone to Disney 3 times now since reopening (2 days in July, 3 in August, and 9 days in December), so I have a fair share of experience with this. I should first say that my 3 year old is a champion mask wearer as far as toddlers go. He is in pre school (just 1 hour per day) and has to wear his mask. We also live in a state where mask wearing has been required since April, so he has understood that in order to go out anywhere, we need masks. He actually makes a comment like "mommy, we forgot my mask!!" if I forget to put it on him ever (which is crazy and weird, but life is weird now). That being said, in the Disney heat in July and August, he frequently took his mask off when we were outdoors and he was in the stroller. He's not accustomed to being required to wear masks outside. It was not crowded AT ALL at the time, and we were able to maintain distance, so no cast members ever commented. He got a lot of smiles and waves. Literally 0 comments ever from cast members asking him to put on his mask if he was in the stroller outside and took it off briefly (he is a large 3 year old....about 41" and I don't know how many pounds at this point). Worst case scenario, we handed him his popcorn bucket, or a snack in his stroller tray, or his sip cup, and no one ever had a problem at all. It was 100+ degrees when we went in the summer. He ALWAYS wore his mask to enter the park, to wait in lines for rides, and to actually go on the rides. He also always wore it indoors. This past trip (December), he had no problem keeping it on all the time, indoors and out, which was good because it was much more crowded walking through the parks. We saw cast members with signs reminding people to put on their masks, but even when his was removed to eat popcorn in his stroller, those cast members specifically tasked with commenting on mask wearing did not comment. I think everyone is fairly reasonable. As long as you are trying, you understand why your child should be in a mask, you agree with the mask wearing policy and aren't disputing it, everyone wears a mask to enter the park and when distancing isn't possible, they aren't going to be completely difficult about a 2 year old in their stroller taking it off occasionally. That being said, everyone else in your family better be wearing their masks perfectly at all times, or else you will come across as a family who is anti-masks and they will swoop in right away.

Upvote 0

BWDVCkidsince96

side note - my son (the pro mask wearer) won't wear a hat or sunglasses either. ever. he is very difficult with things on his head typically. we wear the disney masks. they are pretty comfy. he likes that they have fun characters. by the time your daughter is 2 that might apply, right now she is super super young.

Upvote 0

Jsancmont

Hi! I never post on these things but I scoured the internet before my Disney trip looking for answers on this. Hopefully this can help someone else! We just got back and I am happy to report that NO one at Disney springs, magic kingdom or Animal kingdom said anything about my 2 year old not wearing a mask. She is 26 months, and quite tall for a 2 year old, but she stayed in the stroller upon entry and they didn’t even check her temperature or bother her about not having a mask. I was prepared just in case, but I am grateful she didn’t have to wear it because it was HOT! Southwest Airlines is a little more strict, so I made her wear it on the flight; however, no one said anything when I took it off to let her have a comfort bottle on take off, or to take a nap. A couple of weeks before the flight, we would make her wear it every time we went out. We got her the kind that go behind your head and not your ears, and got her some cute Minnie Mouse masks from Etsy. I also got her a matching mask for one of her dolls which she loved. She thought we were all dressing up and didn’t mind at all. I was also nervous, because she had never worn one before, but with a little practice, it wasn’t too hard. Thank goodness the flight wasn’t very long!

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
Hi! I never post on these things but I scoured the internet before my Disney trip looking for answers on this. Hopefully this can help someone else! We just got back and I am happy to report that NO one at Disney springs, magic kingdom or Animal kingdom said anything about my 2 year old not wearing a mask. She is 26 months, and quite tall for a 2 year old, but she stayed in the stroller upon entry and they didn’t even check her temperature or bother her about not having a mask. I was prepared just in case, but I am grateful she didn’t have to wear it because it was HOT! Southwest Airlines is a little more strict, so I made her wear it on the flight; however, no one said anything when I took it off to let her have a comfort bottle on take off, or to take a nap. A couple of weeks before the flight, we would make her wear it every time we went out. We got her the kind that go behind your head and not your ears, and got her some cute Minnie Mouse masks from Etsy. I also got her a matching mask for one of her dolls which she loved. She thought we were all dressing up and didn’t mind at all. I was also nervous, because she had never worn one before, but with a little practice, it wasn’t too hard. Thank goodness the flight wasn’t very long!
Thank you for this. Our two year old will be just over 25 months and she is very tall for her age, we have plenty of masks for her just in case but we were really hoping she wouldn't be bothered about it in the parks. We are also flying Southwest, we have talked with her a lot about flying and how she will have to wear her mask, we are hoping the distraction of a tablet and other stuff will keep her from taking off her mask. We figured at take off and descent she could take it off and be able to drink and eat. Did you experience the flight attendants being understanding if she took off her mask or didn't put it on right away?

Upvote 0

pj4963

I have a 4r old grandson and he has worn a mask since required. Not saying this is you but some parents just give into a child not wanting to wear one. Its easier
Start them out slowly and explain this is the rules. I have been surprised how good our grandson has been if you just take and effort to explain things

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Thank you for this. Our two year old will be just over 25 months and she is very tall for her age, we have plenty of masks for her just in case but we were really hoping she wouldn't be bothered about it in the parks. We are also flying Southwest, we have talked with her a lot about flying and how she will have to wear her mask, we are hoping the distraction of a tablet and other stuff will keep her from taking off her mask. We figured at take off and descent she could take it off and be able to drink and eat. Did you experience the flight attendants being understanding if she took off her mask or didn't put it on right away?

My daughter is quite a bit older, but I started getting the disposable masks from Amazon for a couple reasons. Kids are disgusting, and it's so much easier to throw away a mask when it's encrusted with snot or food or whatever other filth. But also they don't take great care of where they put it, so it gets wet or sat on or dropped on the ground or whatever. On the airline I also liked that we could just switch out masks whenever we did anything questionable like use the restroom or buy something from the shop.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

I have a 4r old grandson and he has worn a mask since required. Not saying this is you but some parents just give into a child not wanting to wear one. Its easier
Start them out slowly and explain this is the rules. I have been surprised how good our grandson has been if you just take and effort to explain things
Eh, kids are all different. And a 4 year old is very different from a 2 year old. Even a 3 year old is very different from a 2 year old. Some 2 year olds don't even like to keep their pants on. How about a little empathy? I'm so thrilled I don't have kids that age.

Upvote 0

arich35

Original Poster
A kid that just turned 2 is a lot different than a 4 year old who is in pre-school, not sure how you can compare them

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom