Eyeware in WDW?

Magicalan

Original Poster
Hello. This is a thread for anyone that has bad eyesight (short sighted, long sighted) and enjoys seeing things in focus on holiday.

Do you wear glasses or contact lenses?

How do you cope with the intense sunlight? If you wear glasses, are they prescription sunglasses, or perhaps photochromatics?

How do you cope with going from the very dim interiors, to the intense outdoor sunlight? Do you keep switching glasses?

tigsmom

I wear glasses (progressives) and use sunglasses that fit over them....they are easier to deal with than prescription sunglasses.

Magicalan

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. I really would like everyone who this thread applies to, to respond.

I myself am short sighted, and wear clear prescription glasses. The last time I was in WDW, I was really blinded by the sunlight and wished I had some kind of protection. I don't recall seeing many people in clear prescription glasses.

1/4 of the Adult population in America is Myopic. You see a lot of people at WDW wearing designer sunglasses. But 1 in 4 of them must be short sighted. Perhaps a lot of them are secretly wearing contact lenses underneath?

brertigger

I wear glasses. I tried contacts once and just did not like them.

For my glasses, I found a pair of snap on sunglasses at the glasses store awhile back for about $20. On the last two trips, I haven't messed with using them. After a few days, I get tired of putting them on and taking them off for attractions.

The main issue I have with them is that sometimes when I go outside after being in the cold hotel room or attraction, the fog up from the humidity and sudden temperature change. Luckily, they clear within a few seconds usually.

mechurchlady

I have astigmatism pretty bad. I wear glasses and the best thing you can do is get clip on shades also check prescription sunglasses for your trips. If the sun is too strong you may be able to find wrap around sunglasses.

Southern Californian so sun not bother me. I did once lose my glasses on a ride, lol. I was lucky to have a spare.

barnum42

I have been to The World with various combinations.

The last few trips have been with prescription glasses that have reactolite lenses. Never really had a problem when going indoors from outdoors, well maybe a couple of seconds to adjust to Haunted Mansion. I think the plastic lenses do not go as dark as the glass ones.

I have in the past had prescription sunglasses which I would have to swop for regulars when entering attractions and I have also had reactolite clip-ons. I could keep them on, but they were made of glass and just a little too heavy.

Contacts I don't wear for everyday use - my eyes get tired too quickly.

Yellow Shoes

Right now I have prescription sunglasses.

They are kind of a pain when you go into a dark attraction because you have to change. For some reason this seemed more irksome at Epcot -- or perhaps I just noticed it more.

Hats are always recommended at WDW, and for some people that little bit of shade the brim provides might be enough sun protection.

I have a new Rx for glasses and would like my next pair to have clip-on sunglasses that are made specifically for the frames. No time to go shopping this week, though.

wdwhoneymooner

I wear both and switch off as I feel it necessary. Although I'd prefer contacts to the parks, I've found the need to frequently use moisturizing eye drops during my visits. It's strange only because I don't need to do this anywhere else. When it gets bright, I simply need to put on a pair of sunglasses and I'm good to go.

When wearing glasses, I use a sunglass clip-on. The problem I have then is I need to reach into my pocket to retrieve the clip-on and put them over the frame. It's often a two handed job and I need to keep an eye on my children (holding hands, pushing strollers, etc.).

Tweedle Adie

Lens crafters sells desinger sunglasses with your persciption in them. I don't wear glasses but my Mom changes back and forth from glasses to sunglasses.

tigsmom

Thanks for your reply. I really would like everyone who this thread applies to, to respond.

I myself am short sighted, and wear clear prescription glasses. The last time I was in WDW, I was really blinded by the sunlight and wished I had some kind of protection. I don't recall seeing many people in clear prescription glasses.

1/4 of the Adult population in America is Myopic. You see a lot of people at WDW wearing designer sunglasses. But 1 in 4 of them must be short sighted. Perhaps a lot of them are secretly wearing contact lenses underneath?

I wore contacts for years, but no longer do. Glasses are easier for me than contacts and reading glasses. :lol:

Uponastar

I wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses. I couldn't imagine walking around WDW without my sunglasses! It can be a pain switching back and forth, but I made it as easy as possible by wearing a lanyard and attaching an easy to open eyeglass case to it. It works well for me!

tigsmom

Right now I have prescription sunglasses.

They are kind of a pain when you go into a dark attraction because you have to change. For some reason this seemed more irksome at Epcot -- or perhaps I just noticed it more.

Hats are always recommended at WDW, and for some people that little bit of shade the brim provides might be enough sun protection.

I have a new Rx for glasses and would like my next pair to have clip-on sunglasses that are made specifically for the frames. No time to go shopping this week, though.

Look for the ones that have magnets on the hinges. I had 2 pair of these (the sunglasses are included in the price of the frame) and they worked very well, even stayed on on the rides! :wave:

Magicalan

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies.

A lot of you have mentioned clip-ons, but how do you get a clip-on to match the frame shape of your prescription glasses? Also, don't the clip-ons scratch your prescription lenses where they attach?

As for contact lenses, wdwhoneymooner, do you really need to use eye drops if you have daily disposable contacts?

Another option is to get large sunglasses that you can wear over your prescription glasses. You may have seen these used by old people, but quite a few modern designs are now available. Here's an example:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/whatsnew/img_sunwear/live-cocoons-wideline.htm

tigsmom

Thanks for all your replies.

A lot of you have mentioned clip-ons, but how do you get a clip-on to match the frame shape of your prescription glasses? Also, don't the clip-ons scratch your prescription lenses where they attach?

As for contact lenses, wdwhoneymooner, do you really need to use eye drops if you have daily disposable contacts?

Another option is to get large sunglasses that you can wear over your prescription glasses. You may have seen these used by old people, but quite a few modern designs are now available. Here's an example:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/whatsnew/img_sunwear/live-cocoons-wideline.htm

Thats what I use. These are the ones I have and I keep them on a "leash" so the hang around my neck in the dark attractions...

Click Here

SallyShine

Up until May I was a contact lense wearer. I had PRK in May and would suggest it to anyone. I was still in my lenses when we were there in April. I wore my contacts and sunglasses. I also carried some refreshing drops with me in case my eyes got dry.

Wow, what a great thread. I am an optometrist and also a Disney "freak". I deal with these questions all day but never directly with the Disney parks. There are several really good questions here concerning glasses, sunglasses, contact lenses, etc.

One suggestion I can give you about prescription glasses. Clips or magnetized sunglasses are great if you don't mind taking them off and on. Another option is to go with Transition lenses (photochromic) that change when you go from dark to light. (I have a lot of patients in these and they love them). However, the most popular way would probably be, contact lenses with a great pair of non-RX sunglasses over them, that is, if you can wear contacts, and most people usually can!

If you have anymore questions, fire away!:wave:

wdwhoneymooner

To be honest, I've never used daily disposables. I still use 2-week versions. Now that I've given some thought to my initial reply, I think my frequent use of eye moistruizing drops could be due to my exposure to new "allergens" in the Orlando/Kissimmee area.

4friends4ever

As the years have gone by I now need glasses to see close and far away.

I just wear my clear glass bifocals. I just squint alot when coming out of a dark building into the light. I'm too lazy to keep switching from my glasses to sunglasses. I have had the same problem with them fogging up when you leave a nice cool building into the Florida heat and humidity. But I don't have to carry the attached shades or my separate pair of prescription sunglasses.

GatorDi

I wear contacts with sunglasses I take on and off. I have had occasion to have to wear glasses. I bought the clip-ons that stretch to fit over your glasses. I got them at the Wal-Mart vision center for less than $10.00, but I'm sure that any eyewear store could tell you where to get them. They make all different shapes and sizes to fit most glasses. My husband wears contacts with the sunglasses built in, but has never worn them to WDW. I thing you would run into the same problem of not being able to see indoors. Good luck and have a great time.

Magicalan

Original Poster
SallyShine, ah yes, PRK (PhotoRefractive Keratectomy) is a very solid solution. Not all of us are brave enough to have the front of our eyes sliced off with a knife, though.

Buzz Lightyear, great to have a knowledgable optometrist here on the Forum. I've tried photochromic lenses but wasn't too impressed with their speed. For example, on an attraction such as Expedtion Everest, you probably would never see the Yeti, because the glasses wouldn't clear quickly enough. When will INSTANT photochromic lenses be invented? A 1-second transformation period would be much better :)

Contact lenses with a pair of non-RX sunglasses over them sounds like the ultimate solution, because you can simply take the one pair off and on. Plus, if your sunglasses are non-prescription, they can be really cheap, so you don't have to worry about damaging them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom