Extreme Rumors of massive WDI Layoffs...

Indy95

NeXuS1000 said:
Indy 95 --> I don't think you understand. Nothing at WDW is real (except some tree, animals in AK etc.). When visitors come, all they really see is an illusion. The fake mountains, trees, characters etc. all look so real, but yet it isn't. That is because the Imagineers created some new and really awesome technology that could fool people (in the good way, in the way they want to be fooled). Now it's easy for an Imagineer with a big budget just to re-use the same, perhaps expensive material and tech, but if a ride calls for a low-budget, only then will his or hers true face show.

Besides doing new "unbelieveable" rides, breaking tech barriers, the other real challenge for an Imagineer will always be to work with low-budget rides, because it will require them to find new ways. Lots of things can be done with a cardboard and with the right creative mind, you will be able to continue to keep the illusion...
Hmmm...you're right. I don't understand. What exactly is your point here? That writers are shown their true colors with a low budget? Um, okay, so how does that relate to Stitch? The Imagineers were given creative restraints for SGE, there really wasn't much room for creativity, just some better technical writing. My point is people don't travel to WDW to see a low-budget attraction, no matter how good the writing is.

Another thing: are you talking about show writing or show design? Because you can't say that writing well with a high budget is easier, or less creative. In fact, it's much harder. The mythology is so much deeper, and the backstory is immense. Ask the Imagineers who wrote the story for Temple of the Forbidden Eye how "easy" it was to create. It's certainly easier for me as a writer to write a story around something like "create a story about Stitch that involves the same AE showroom and technology" rather than "create an Indiana Jones story, use whatever technology you want" because I already know what tools I'm using. And show design is also much harder with something like ToT rather than Stitch. All the nuances, filmmaking techniques, effects, atmosphere, etc. are so much more grand and extensive.

And about everything in WDW "not being real," and everything being an illusion...that doesn't make sense. So, what's Spaceship Earth an illusion of? A "real" geosphere? Because it looks pretty real to me. Or the Monorail? What's that an illusion of? A "real" monorail? Because it looks real to me. Or the Comtemporary, that looks like a "real" hotel to me.

NeXus1000 said:
The fake mountains, trees, characters etc. all look so real, but yet it isn't. That is because the Imagineers created some new and really awesome technology that could fool people (in the good way, in the way they want to be fooled).
I wouldn't exactly call concrete and fiberglass "new and awesome technologies" when creating mountains and trees.

NeXus1000 said:
Now it's easy for an Imagineer with a big budget just to re-use the same, perhaps expensive material and tech, but if a ride calls for a low-budget, only then will his or hers true face show.
Okay, this is what really gets me. Shouldn't it be the other way around? An Imagineer with a big budget has the freedom to create NEW and exciting technologies, an Imagineer with a small budget finds it easier to re-use existing technologies because it's cheaper. Creating new technologies with a $100 million budget is certainly more creative than creating new technologies with a $5 million budget.

Now, I respect your opinion on this matter, but PLEASE make your point clearer. I just don't understand what you're trying to say here.

NeXuS1000

What I'm trying so say is simple: imagine you have an unlimited budget and you could remake WDW. Damm, you could do so much. Every Imagineer could. But when faced against a true challenge, when you have a very low budget, a very short production time, etc., you will really need to show off your true skills. I doubt that I could ever do a good job if I were an Imagineer working on Stich, but damn, some can do it! Some of the WDI veterans have not been fired for a reason: they can do their job!

I mean, yes the monorail is real and such, but much of WDW and Disneyland etc. is based on an illusion. An illusion that seems very real, yes, but it's not like Matterhorn is a real mountain or anything. So it is when the Imagineers discover new ways to create this illusion they really shine through.

Yes, they can do more and can do better with a bigger budget, but it still is the low-budget project that will show which Imagineer can turn stone to gold and which can not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom