Extreme Rumors of massive WDI Layoffs...

NeXuS1000

Although I truly think it is managements fault when they lower the budget to unreasonable levels, it is still the job of the Imagineers to deliver a quality product. Time and time again shows that no matter how money you got, you can deliver either a really bad or a really good product. A great Imagineer would be able, using his or hers creativity, to deliver a great ride even with the smallest budget. So if these lay-offs mean, that the really great and valuable employees will be kept and cutting of the less succesful ones, then it's ok. If you can't deliver, don't expect to keep your job!

Centrifugeer

Tom Dunlap is leaving WDI. Imagineers were notified of this yesterday via email.

As far as WDI Florida, many here work not only on Florida projects, but also DP and HKDL. Soarin' is staffed primarily with Imagineers from WDI California who fly back and forth frequently. iow, your home base has little meaning in WDI.

As far as WDI being cost-prohibitive...well...you get what you pay for. Sure WDi isn't cheap. But the parks often want champagne on a beer budget. Instead of the old days where money was pretty much no object, now the screws are being turned in all directions to reduce costs. Bean counters are now making the decisions instead of people with imagination and vision, and that's what's killing them.

Lee

Adventurer
Indy95 said:
Calling anyone who knows anything about EE:

Will EE have the rumored super-themed queue ala Indy at DL (where you walk past scenes with elaborate theming, etc.) or will it just be Tom Fitzgerald-esque "slap a TV monitor around every corner and call it a queue?"

It will compare with other queues at AK, like Kali and Safaris. Not an Indy queue, to be sure, but nice none the less.

L

General Grizz

Scooter said:
Personally, I think posting unverified rumors on personal websites is a bad idea.

It just upsets people.
We did not post the information when we were first given it. After sifting through research and finding more evidence, we posted it, ensuring that our readers know it is only RUMOR.

And, from what I read here about Mr. Dunlap, it seems that the source may be on track.

NeXuS1000

Centrifugeer said:
As far as WDI being cost-prohibitive...well...you get what you pay for. Sure WDi isn't cheap. But the parks often want champagne on a beer budget. Instead of the old days where money was pretty much no object, now the screws are being turned in all directions to reduce costs. Bean counters are now making the decisions instead of people with imagination and vision, and that's what's killing them.

Yes, I do understand this problem, but no matter what you work with today in the creative industry, you just can't deny the fact that everything has a budget. It's sad, but very real.

Therefor the real quality people will shine through, when they actually DO turn beer into champagne...

General Grizz

NeXuS1000 said:
Yes, I do understand this problem, but no matter what you work with today in the creative industry, you just can't deny the fact that everything has a budget. It's sad, but very real.

Therefor the real quality people will shine through, when they actually DO turn beer into champagne...
I await that day. :D

imagineer boy

I say we perform an exorcism on the walt disney company to ban the deamon called "Eisner"

The power of magic compells you!

The power of magic compells you!

NeXuS1000

General Grizz said:
I await that day. :D

Hehe...

Yeah well, it is basically what an employer constantly is looking for. I know it's unfair to blaime WDI because of the project budget cuts, but the poor rides are still an excuse for the lay-offs, especially if it means that Disney want to find some more suitable and practically people.

Even with the budget they had, I'm sure Stitch could have been done better. It's all about being creative. You can put it like this: it's much easier to be creative with a truckload of money, but it's when you have nothing but a cardboard to work with, that your real skills and creativity will show.

speck76

NeXuS1000 said:
Hehe...

Yeah well, it is basically what an employer constantly is looking for. I know it's unfair to blaime WDI because of the project budget cuts, but the poor rides are still an excuse for the lay-offs, especially if it means that Disney want to find some more suitable and practically people.

Even with the budget they had, I'm sure Stitch could have been done better. It's all about being creative. You can put it like this: it's much easier to be creative with a truckload of money, but it's when you have nothing but a cardboard to work with, that your real skills and creativity will show.

I could not agree more.

A good story, with a complete storyline, is not expensive.

The effects are there and paid for. Could a better story be told with the exact same effects that were put in for SGE....YES

mraw

CTXRover said:
Perhaps its not a bad thing to "clean house" after some problems with recent efforts from WDI Florida. Does anyone here know exactly what WDI Florida worked on by itself? Seems like SGE and the new Tiki room might be there's. How about the Figment re-dos? I imagine the bigger guns like Mission:Space and Everest were from the Burbank offices, no? Perhaps there is a trend here that could be fixed by leaving some folks go? As for SGE, $10 million might have bought some better effects that could helped to tell a "different" story, but it still doesn't account for just plain bad story-telling.

I found the quote from the "unidentified" source that compares Dunlap's potential leave to that of Pressler leaving interesting, especially when you look at all the good that has come since Pressler left and Rasulo took over...especially over at DL when Rasulo chose Oiumet who essentially cleaned house at DL which is now getting the love and care it always deserved but never got from the Pressler/Harriss era. Who knows what could happen under new/different leadership in WDI Florida.

Perhaps all of the complaining here and other places and the "letters" people write to Disney over recent projects is taking its toll and somebody, somewhere is listening, even if layoffs of those working on those projects wasn't our intention. (?)

Nothing is worked on solely by WDI-Florida. Everything that ever breaks ground in the theme parks is spearheaded by the group in Glendale (this includes concept and development). Yes, many Imagineers from Florida work on the project, but the Show Producer (the guy that calls all of the shots on the development of an attraction) and the guys from Ride and Show Engineering are brought over from California, where they live in Orlando for the duration of the project's development and are sent home shortly after the attraction has been tested with guests via the soft opening.

Indy95

NeXuS1000 said:
You can put it like this: it's much easier to be creative with a truckload of money, but it's when you have nothing but a cardboard to work with, that your real skills and creativity will show.
But nobody pays $60 and travels thousands of miles to see cardboard. Cardboard doesn't convince someone from Nowheresville, Iowa to finally take that WDW vacation. How does Disney convince people to visit an attraction that was built on an obviously shoestring budget? What if you were Epcot's PR director and had to convince people to ride Journey Into YOUR Imagination? Word-of-mouth certainly won't cut it, it's too unpredictable, especially for an attraction made of "cardboard." And can you imagine how much an advertising campaign would cost for something like this? This would easily affect both revenue and costs, not to mention the $$$ it would take to update it, and then inevitably close it after 5 years after poor performance and replace it with something else. Wouldn't it be so much better to have an attraction that speaks for itself? You don't need to advertise Pirates of the Caribbean, because eveyone knows what it is, and they will inevitably visit the attraction during their vacation. POTC is one of the most profitable attractions ever, and all Disney has to do is clean it, paint it, and put the merchandise on the shelves, because all the money was spent making the attraction the best possible. The point: people know quality. They don't care what the budget is, they don't care what pressure you were under from execs, they don't care how much money you're saving. They paid $60 to get in, and they want to be entertained NOW. Cardboard doesn't exactly cut it.

TP2000

Considering the technology available to any decently funded business in the year 2005, I'm surprised WDI still maintains a workforce out in Orlando anyway. They could easily get away with closing up the permanent WDI offices out in Orlando, laying off a bunch of people and slashing all sorts of related expenses, shipping a handful of the best and brightest back to Southern California, and contracting out the work to Orlando from the SoCal offices on an as needed basis.

With the types of communication technology available now, you don't really need permanent staffs 3,000 miles from the home office. Certainly when a project begins coming out of the ground you would want a core group of folks on the actual site to project manage the process, and you could house those folks in a Vacation Club condo for 8 months or longer while they actively work on a specific project. But the rest of the organization should be focused back at Company headquarters, in this instance at the big WDI campus in Glendale, just 10 minutes down the Ventura Freeway from Disney corporate headquarters in Burbank.

It's not like it's 1970 when the only thing that connected the swamps outside of Orlando and Disney's home office in SoCal was the US Mail service and a scratchy Bell System long distance phone line. It's 2005 and WDI has cell phones offering instant verbal communication with anyone anywhere, instant email, instant faxes, 18 hour FedEx deliveries coast-to-coast, and corporate T1 Internet connections that routinely handle video-conferences and the instant downloads of huge amounts of any type of information imagineable.

Use those 21st century resources to get the job done, and downsize the satelite team of Imagineers out in Orlando. Bring them back to the headquarters in SoCal where those labor costs can be more efficiently managed without a noticeable decrease in quality thanks to modern technology.

It's just good business sense.

NeXuS1000

speck76 said:
I could not agree more.

A good story, with a complete storyline, is not expensive.

The effects are there and paid for. Could a better story be told with the exact same effects that were put in for SGE....YES

But even the effects and such. With the right intellect and creative mind, you can do so much with so little money. It's all about finding new ways and although the end product might be better if you have a higher budget, doing a low-bugdet ride really shows what people are destined to become Imagineers and who are not!

Indy 95 --> I don't think you understand. Nothing at WDW is real (except some tree, animals in AK etc.). When visitors come, all they really see is an illusion. The fake mountains, trees, characters etc. all look so real, but yet it isn't. That is because the Imagineers created some new and really awesome technology that could fool people (in the good way, in the way they want to be fooled). Now it's easy for an Imagineer with a big budget just to re-use the same, perhaps expensive material and tech, but if a ride calls for a low-budget, only then will his or hers true face show.

Besides doing new "unbelieveable" rides, breaking tech barriers, the other real challenge for an Imagineer will always be to work with low-budget rides, because it will require them to find new ways. Lots of things can be done with a cardboard and with the right creative mind, you will be able to continue to keep the illusion...

Dayma

All I can say is that you can have all the newest technology and without story you still have NOTHING. It all starts with story and this is what is lacking imo.

Yen_Sid1

Indy95 said:
But nobody pays $60 and travels thousands of miles to see cardboard. Cardboard doesn't convince someone from Nowheresville, Iowa to finally take that WDW vacation. How does Disney convince people to visit an attraction that was built on an obviously shoestring budget? What if you were Epcot's PR director and had to convince people to ride Journey Into YOUR Imagination? Word-of-mouth certainly won't cut it, it's too unpredictable, especially for an attraction made of "cardboard." And can you imagine how much an advertising campaign would cost for something like this? This would easily affect both revenue and costs, not to mention the $$$ it would take to update it, and then inevitably close it after 5 years after poor performance and replace it with something else. Wouldn't it be so much better to have an attraction that speaks for itself? You don't need to advertise Pirates of the Caribbean, because eveyone knows what it is, and they will inevitably visit the attraction during their vacation. POTC is one of the most profitable attractions ever, and all Disney has to do is clean it, paint it, and put the merchandise on the shelves, because all the money was spent making the attraction the best possible. The point: people know quality. They don't care what the budget is, they don't care what pressure you were under from execs, they don't care how much money you're saving. They paid $60 to get in, and they want to be entertained NOW. Cardboard doesn't exactly cut it.

Cardboard? That sounds like Food Rocks..wait...They tore out Food Rocks to replace with a queue line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom