Hot or Cold?

• Hot

Votes: 78 60.9%
  • Cold

Votes: 50 39.1%

• Total voters

Yert3

Original Poster
People say that one of the reasons WDW was built in Florida was because of the weather. While this is true, it’s not impossible that it could have been built somewhere further north. Evident by the fact that it snows at Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland and the parks remain open when it does.

So my question is, would you have preferred milder summers, with snow in the winter? Or do you like the way things are now? Or even if you prefer the heat, maybe you wanted a state that’s still hot, but not as south, like Georgia or Tennessee for example.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
People say that one of the reasons WDW was built in Florida was because of the weather. While this is true, it’s not impossible that it could have been built somewhere further north. Evident by the fact that it snows at Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland and the parks remain open when it does.

So my question is, would you have preferred milder summers, with snow in the winter? Or do you like the way things are now? Or even if you prefer the heat, maybe you wanted a state that’s still hot, but not as south, like Georgia or Tennessee for example.

Climate has more to it than Lattitude.

JIMINYCR

Psssh, you call that heavy snow? Here in Maine we get buried and barely get a spring & summer. Then its back into the cold. I'm voting HEAT. Its so nice traveling to WDW in the winter for a break in the ice & snow. Though I wouldnt mind a Disney in a more northern state so I could cut back on the driving time and be at Disney sooner. Maybe I could even visit more often.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

To be fair it doesn't snow very much in Paris and Tokyo. (both average a few inches per year with the rare higher amount).
Walt originally wanted WDW to be in my backyard which I would have welcomed in Niagara County NY.
As you may know WNY is known for snow especially for lake effect snow.
I personally would not mind if Disney were closer to home even if it meant going while it was cold and snowy.
The key for me is that at home I'd be prpared for that type of weather.
Last December I planned for pants and a light jacket but one day it only hit 60 and it was only for 5 minutes and there was a raw breeze and in the evening it was in the lower 40's with a wind chill in the 30's.
I was not prepared and was freezing and it was difficult to enjoy while I was shivering.
Right now its about 90 and feels like 100 and I'm dying hot but I'm still excited for my Disney trip in a couple week because I'm prepared for the heat and am packing for it.
Next time I go in potentially chilly weather I'll be bringing a heavier jacket at least.
So basically as long as I'm prepared I'm fine with hot or cold and would love Disney World to have been built where Walt intended it.

Heppenheimer

Fun fact, one of the locations that Walt considered for his second park was the Greater Toronto Area... then someone reminded him how cold Ontario can get in the winter, although it doesn't get as much snow as other locations around the Great Lakes.

It would be interesting if the Disney Company considered opening a ski resort again. The original location Walt wanted (Mineral King) is now part of a national park, so that's out, but there's plenty of other options.

BTW, Paris rarely gets very cold. Temperatures mostly stay above freezing during the winter.

And I vote for cold, for the reason expressed above. You can dress for cold weather, but there's only so much clothing you can remove in hot weather.

PUSH

Heat. No brainer. Living in one of the snowiest states around where we had -55 degree windchills for a week straight this past winter, WDW in cold climates doesn't make sense. It's common during the winter to have -20 degree windchills, and it's not recommended that you be outside for more than a couple minutes at a time. Ice on the ground would be hazardous to guests, and a major liability for Disney. Outdoor attractions would routinely be covered in snow, which would totally ruin the themes of rides like Big Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, etc. And my guess is the Jungle Cruise would not be a very exciting boat ride during the winter.

JusticeDisney

There are no rides which would close or would be unable to operate due to heat.

However, there are numerous rides which would close because of snow or would simply be undoable when it got too cold (like, for example, every single water ride).

Adding to all of that, last time I checked it isn’t as difficult to walk around on hot ground as it is on ground covered with snow and ice.

Also, the idea about simply adding layers when it’s cold only works to a certain degree. That is, sometimes there aren’t enough layers in the world that can keep you warm enough. In addition, enjoy cramming yourself into the Space Mountain or RnR vehicles when you are dressed like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Heat over cold in a landslide, IMHO.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Both options have their challenges! I'm lucky to live in a place where we enjoy great weather (mid 70s), most of the year.
If I had to choose, I guess it would be hot weather (less packing!).

donaldtoo

Heat, all the way.
We’ve only ever lived in Texas, Alabama, California, and back to Texas again. The vast majority in Texas, so we’re used to the heat and humidididididity...!!! ;)
Plus, it’s, mostly, a lot easier to walk and drive through heat than it is through ice or snow...!!! :)

Tom Morrow

Florida summer heat is pure misery. But the answer is neither. WDW should have been built in a slightly more moderate climate. Too late now, though!

Ariel1986

They might stay open, but half the rides and restaurants don't! I was in Paris in February 2018 and whilst the snow was pretty, most of Frontierland was closed and you couldn't walk in some places as they didn't clear the paths. We had fun still, but I'd take that Florida sunshine and blue skies when at Disney anytime!

Ag11gani

It would be stupid to pretend that Paris and Tokyo don't get hot summers. In Tokyo you can get up to 30° with very high humidity, and with the amount of European heatwaves lately Paris can probably exceed 30°.

Snow isn't very common for Tokyo to get, and therefore most rides will shut down, however it is much more common in Paris, and the park will be almost be operating normally once everything is cleared.

But the cold is really much better, there is nothing worse than wearing thin clothing and still feeling hot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom