Extra Magic Hours At Night

Indy95

TRITON4ME said:
I mean will they do the wristband thing that they do with E-Ride Nights?

Yep. Same process. Though, how do they expect people to stay 3 extra hours at AK when they can't even keep them until dinner?

Oooooo I can see it now...M:S, Test Track, Soarin, ToT, RnRC...NO LINES!!!

surfsupdon

Indy95 said:
Yep. Same process. Though, how do they expect people to stay 3 extra hours at AK when they can't even keep them until dinner?

Oooooo I can see it now...M:S, Test Track, Soarin, ToT, RnRC...NO LINES!!!

We always went to AK around 6 for extra magic and stayed till 8. That is a very neat park to be in after dark. Remember you don't ahve to be at the same park ALL day.

And as for the Evening Extra Magic at MGM, it was not as effective as the other parks' festivities. Because everyone has the same idea--to ride ToT and RnRC over and over--the lines for them were still kind of lengthy. The other parks contain a spread of attractions open, yet at MGM everyone seemed to stay on Sunset Blvd. (At least it was like this for the week I was there early Jan.) Tower had a 40 mins wait and the Coaster was at 30 I believe. Of course, for the last hour, the waits were under 20 mins.

TRITON4ME

Account Suspended
surfsupdon said:
We always went to AK around 6 for extra magic and stayed till 8. That is a very neat park to be in after dark. Remember you don't ahve to be at the same park ALL day.

And as for the Evening Extra Magic at MGM, it was not as effective as the other parks' festivities. Because everyone has the same idea--to ride ToT and RnRC over and over--the lines for them were still kind of lengthy. The other parks contain a spread of attractions open, yet at MGM everyone seemed to stay on Sunset Blvd. (At least it was like this for the week I was there early Jan.) Tower had a 40 mins wait and the Coaster was at 30 I believe. Of course, for the last hour, the waits were under 20 mins.

Well, I don't think Tot and Rockn would be too crowded! I mean if they have two Fantasmic showings that will severely downsize the crowds! But after Fantasmic lets out all bets are off! I guess that the extra-magic hours would be best for attractions like TGMR, ST, and so on. I mean MGM isn't that well set up for these nights seeing that all the good rides are in the same general area.

But I think for parks like Epcot it will be perfect seeing that Soaring is pretty spaced out from M:S and Test Track.

Kevin

I'd love to hear more stories from people that have done this. I was there last spring 2004 when they did extra magic nights for just a couple weeks on a trial basis to see if they liked the idea. I was afraid when it didn't come back that I'd lost the AWESOME benefit. I did tell them they should keep it.

For me, there is nothing better. I'm not a morning person and would NEVER do the extra magic hour morning. For me, that was worthless. But, staying up late is right up my alley. And, the added benefit of being in the parks really late (after most people have left) and when it has that great night atmosphere is a huge perk. For me, this is the thing I'm most looking forward to on my trips in 2005.

When I did the Epcot extra magic night last year during the trial, the park closed at 9p.m. as always but all resort guests could get a wristband and stay in the park until midnight. There were still plenty of people (long lines for dinner at 10p.m. at the fastfood Mexico and Future World burger places) but all the attractions (maybe except Test Track) had very short lines. Most everything was open and you were free to walk anywhere you wanted and soak up the night atmosphere for 3 extra hours.

When I was there during the trial period last year people without wristbands could still shop, eat and wonder around but just couldn't ride any attractions (attractions hosts were the only one's checking for wristbands). They may have tightened up things and be more aggressive on making people leave now that the official program has started?

Indy95

I doubt that, even after Fantasmic, RnRC and ToT would be crowded, because Fastpass is no longer in use, and without Fastpass the lines will move unbelievably fast.

DisneyFreak529

I might be confussied so this might be a stupid question but, When I went in 2002 they would not let us in early. They said that the park didn't let people who stayed at the resorts in early anymore. I said to them, well then some one should update the people in the hotels who take the reservations because I stayed at the "All star Sports" in 2002 and the hotel told us we could get in the park an hour early. THen we we got to the park they said no that wasn't true any more. What is going on with early admistion?? Is that what your talking about just a different name.

Sorry if this question is stupid!

Raven66

DisneyFreak529 said:
I might be confussied so this might be a stupid question but, When I went in 2002 they would not let us in early. They said that the park didn't let people who stayed at the resorts in early anymore. I said to them, well then some one should update the people in the hotels who take the reservations because I stayed at the "All star Sports" in 2002 and the hotel told us we could get in the park an hour early. THen we we got to the park they said no that wasn't true any more. What is going on with early admistion?? Is that what your talking about just a different name.

Sorry if this question is stupid!

Early Entry is an hour in the morning and Extra Magic Hour is about 3 hours at night. When we were there last year they were doing the early entry. I hope I cleared it up some for you. :wave:

TRITON4ME

Account Suspended
Indy95 said:
I doubt that, even after Fantasmic, RnRC and ToT would be crowded, because Fastpass is no longer in use, and without Fastpass the lines will move unbelievably fast.

Oh yeah!:sohappy: I forgot bout that!! Wow that is going to awesome! Wow that is going to be a really late night! But then I definately want to wake up the next morning @ 7:15 for early entry! There is no 'being tired' on a WDW vacation!

Dopey Dave

There was a time that early entry was discontinued and instead they would send bus loads of characters out to the disney hotels. Disney thought this was a plus but they were the only ones!

Robert O

Reeeeaally late night
Evening Extra Magic Hours sees their latest night yet since they were made permanent on January 2 when peak season hits for Presidents' Week. On Wednesday, February 23, the Magic Kingdom park closes to day guests at midnight, and the Extra Magic Hours keeps the park open for resort guests until 3:00 a.m. With the park opening at 9:00 the next morning, that gives the overnight crew less than six hours to get the park ship-shape. Let's hope that the late night guests don't make too much of a mess.

The above is from mouseplanet.com. so it appears that parks will stay open till 300am.

nibblesandbits

wow...that's really late...my question is just how many people would actually stay in the parks until 3 in the morning? That's late even for me as a night owl! They might still get to do some work seeing as how I don't think a heck of a lot of people would stay in the parks that late.

surfsupdon

nibblesandbits said:
wow...that's really late...my question is just how many people would actually stay in the parks until 3 in the morning? That's late even for me as a night owl! They might still get to do some work seeing as how I don't think a heck of a lot of people would stay in the parks that late.

I'd hope this would also apply during Christmas and Easter weeks. I'd adjust my sleeping patterns to be up at night to ride the rides for Eveneing Extra Magic. It is so frustrating during the day, even though I have so much fun.

True, maybe 3 is too late for me, but I could see staying till 2am, lol.

Lynx04

nibblesandbits said:
wow...that's really late...my question is just how many people would actually stay in the parks until 3 in the morning?

I would, although I wouldn't show up untill 23:00 or 24:00.

I wonder how much Disney is spending on keeping a park open that late.

I.M.Fearless

Okay, from someone who's experienced the Extra Magic Hours.... Each park has one early opening and one late closing each week. However, the days that the extra hours occur vary, so that, if one park opens early on Tuesday on one week, it could open early on Wednesday (or any other day) the next week. This staggering of times should prevent the hours from getting overly late, as the Magic Kingdom hours would imply. Also, the attractions open early differ from the ones closed late. In most cases the evening attractions consist of the morning attractions plus several more attractions (I think Pangani Forest and Maharajah Jungle in Animal Kingdom are the only attractions open during early mornings but not late evenings). Not only are several rides open during extra hours, but some shows will add extra showtimes if their parks are open late. As for the Tower of Terror and Rock'n'Roller Coaster "problem", these lines are considerably shorter during the extra hours, partly due to no fastpasses during extra hours. There are other attractions open during the extra hours, however: StarTours, Muppet*Vision 4D, and The Great Movie Ride. If all the hype is true, I would expect Lights, Motors, Action! to also be an extra hours attraction as well, and would therefore decrease the crowds on Sunset Boulevard. And the extra evening hours at Animal Kingdom has Dinoland U.S.A. and the Festival of the Lion King show open, not Africa or Asia (but maybe Kali River Rapids, I'm not sure). Expedition Everest probably will also be open late, when it does open. However, I do have one slight complaint with the Animal Kingdom hours: I expected to see plenty more carnival lights at the Dino-Rama section, not just bright normal lights.

Tom

Beta Return
So, with this, have they done away with E-Ride night, I presume? I LOVED E-Night because it was limited to 5 or 6,000 people, which really isn't that many, and it seemed like you had the whole park to yourself. I have a feeling that since ALL resort guests can do these nights for free, they will be more crowded.

Also, as someone asked, how do they really monitor it? I can't imagine that they give every single resort guest a wristband every night, do they? I would presume that they check for your RESORT ID rather than a wristband - am I right?

Someone asked how much Disney spends to do this. A lot! E-Ride may have broken even or made a few dollars over or under their costs each night, since they actually charged for it. However, since this is "built in" to your ticket and/or resort rates, they may actually take a hit - but I doubt it in the long term, since they probably make it up by people paying for the Park Hopper or No Expiration features, which seem REALLY high priced compared to the old tickets and what they used to come with by default.

nibblesandbits

edwardtc said:
Someone asked how much Disney spends to do this. A lot! E-Ride may have broken even or made a few dollars over or under their costs each night, since they actually charged for it. However, since this is "built in" to your ticket and/or resort rates, they may actually take a hit - but I doubt it in the long term, since they probably make it up by people paying for the Park Hopper or No Expiration features, which seem REALLY high priced compared to the old tickets and what they used to come with by default.

Actually I think they are making money by people staying in the parks to buy food and merchandise. You get enough people in the parks to buy that stuffed Mickey at $15 a pop or a meal for $10, you make some sort of profit. And the later you are open, the more likely people will continue to spend. That's the way I presume the company was thinking. I could be wrong though.

Tom

Beta Return
nibblesandbits said:
Actually I think they are making money by people staying in the parks to buy food and merchandise. You get enough people in the parks to buy that stuffed Mickey at $15 a pop or a meal for $10, you make some sort of profit. And the later you are open, the more likely people will continue to spend. That's the way I presume the company was thinking. I could be wrong though.

Makes sense. I know, deep down, that the company would never venture into anything that would actually LOSE them money - that's for sure. I just wasn't sure if they actually came out ahead or just broke even on this venture. You make a valid point about food and merchandise sales. However, they still might just break even with this aspect since you could do both of those when you paid for E-Ride night too. It could just be a MAJOR perk to get people to stay in the resorts, since attendance is up in general anyway. Who knows. I just hope they keep it up at least through June 2006!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom