News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

photomatt

Whoa now. Sunday just got juicy!!

Some facts:
1. I was Al's co-founder on MiceAge - I had a front row seat, so I know whereof I speak below.
2. It is true that Al has Parkinson's
3. I haven't written for MiceChat in a long time. Last I looked, they were using the name "MiceAge Update" rather than Al's name directly; there was something of a retirement more or less for Al. Could he still be writing occasional articles? Yes, sure. Especially if someone helped him.
4. The very idea that Al didn't write for MiceAge during the SaveDisney years is laughable. That was definitely him. Sure, he had sources, and I suppose they could have included folks in the Iger/Mucha camp. But don't you remember him ridiculing the way Zenia's name was pronounced? Definitely his own voice in those years, so the central premise of the article is wrong.

Since Mr. Synder outed several real names, I suppose it does no harm to reveal he is, in fact, Spirit of 74. Several of you picked up on the tone before I could confirm it.

Knowing that Spirit is the author of that article should change several things for readers. He was frequently a critic of Al, and with Al now sidelined by disease, this feels like a hit piece designed to "win the argument" several years later, and take Al's reputation down a notch.

It was all Al during those SaveDisney years, and he was nowhere close to co-opted by corporate. As noted above, his sources could have included Iger, sure. He could have promoted Iger over others, sure. But nowhere close to what you see with Influencers these days taking handouts and writing "reviews." Al was never comped into anything.
Since posts on MiceChat are being shared here, can I share your post on MiceChat?

flynnibus

Premium Member
This may be a stupid question, but what was/is Gary Snyder's role with TWDC? A quick google search showed no results. I may have just missed it in the article but would appreciate an answer if someone has it.

He's not part of Disney. Reportedly he's part of the extended Redstone family. A long standing media family (originally from the movie chains) whose current patriarch Sumner Redstone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumner_Redstone bought them into the movie studio business and ultimately were big players in CBS, Viacom, Paramount during all those buyouts, etc. Basically... big rich media family with hollywood connections for decades.

Supposedly Gary Snyder is part of that family tree... and Michael Snyder, his brother, is/was wdw1974 here... a long standing critic of Iger and Iger's people.

wdw1974 has suggested he's had insider access to Disney leadership since the 1990s. If he's part of the redstone family.. that makes perfect sense. I assumed for years he was a reporter covering media in the early days... but sounds like family connections is more like it.

DDLand

Fascinating stuff.

It also seems increasingly likely that Gary is Spirit, especially in the way it has been written.

Spirit knew George.

Most remarkably, this one:
As someone who has known George personally since his days as EPCOT VP (1995-2000) ... as someone who once took me to dinner (I am sure 31.6% of people here won't believe this, but I don't care ... the truth is the truth) to discuss 'neutralizing' Al ... as someone who was taught quite a lot about being Internet/fanboi savvy by a certain Spirit, I can tell you that I am 99.9% sure that George is leaking whatever he wants through his own channels (not directly, I'm sure).

He is a smart guy and since his first tenure in Anaheim was a disaster that almost cost him his career with Disney (Al Weiss created an opening for him at WDW when Cyn fired him -- and wouldn't even let him show up to the one-year anniversary press conference that announced Bug's Land and ToT were coming) due in no small part to Al's constant criticism of TDA online ... well, he learned his lesson.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME ANECDOTE AS IN THE ARTICLE. @WDW1974 is Gary Snyder...

Stripes

He's not part of Disney. Reportedly he's part of the extended Redstone family. A long standing media family (originally from the movie chains) whose current patriarch Sumner Redstone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumner_Redstone bought them into the movie studio business and ultimately were big players in CBS, Viacom, Paramount during all those buyouts, etc. Basically... big rich media family with hollywood connections for decades.

Supposedly Gary Snyder is part of that family tree... and Michael Snyder, his brother, is/was wdw1974 here... a long standing critic of Iger and Iger's people.
Kevin implied that Gary is 74, not his brother. Unless, I missed something.

Edit: Kevin has clarified it is indeed Michael.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Spirit knew George.

Most remarkably, this one:

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME ANECDOTE AS IN THE ARTICLE. @WDW1974 is Gary Snyder...

*mind implodes*

TrojanUSC

I believe that Al Lutz is a fake, but SaveDisney probably didn't have that much impact of Eisner getting fired and the writer definately has an axe to grind for Iger. Still if any of this is true, the next few weeks will be very interesting.

What? It had a huge impact. After the Save Disney campaign was at its peak, he suffered a humiliating no confidence vote and resigned as Chairman. He later resigned as CEO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom