Exploring AKL

Betsyboo

Original Poster
My husband and I will be visiting in February without our son. We are trying to hit a few resorts and explore while we are there alone. I've made an ADR for Boma and hoped some of you could give us advice on exploring the resort. I've heard that there are night vision binoculars for viewing animals etc. Is it worth the trip to the Lodge just to explore?

Mukta

I love visiting AKL just to explore. I get a drink at Victoria Falls Lounge, sit and relax in the lobby, and go outside to see the animals. Lots of times, there are CMs out in the Savannah who will talk to you about the animals.

luv

If it is something you really want to see, then it is worth a trip! If not, No, it isn't worth taking time away from the parks just to go see a hotel. The AKL is my favorite Disney hotel. I like the feel there and love to check out all the art displays.

You might want to schedule a Boma dinner and arrive 30-45 minutes early and look around before you check in.

Kidani village has nice artwork scattered around, too. Also little African proverbs. :) They have Sanaa, which gets great reviews, but which I've never been adventurous enough to try.

Yes definitely, we have stayed at this resort many times. We never get tired of it. You can sit by the camp fire out back you need to take the staircase at the end of the lobby area to get to it. The animals there usually come out around 5pm or so for dinner time and stick around. It's quiet, peaceful and the store there is really nice also as well as the restaurants. I doubt you will be upset you made the trip to check out this resort.
Enjoy your trip in February, it's a great time to go. :happy:

Darkzeid25

We're visiting there in February as well. I wanted to try lunch at Sanaa so my son could try and see some of the animals up close while we ate.

omurice

There are little walking trails with different views on the savannahs, behind Jambo house. You can ask for a map of the whole resort at the reception desk, but I just walked around the trails for an hour one lazy afternoon. Not long before dusk is good because it's feeding time!

Csmith041177

Animal Kindgom Lodge is by far my family's favorite resort. We have stayed in several different places in the kingdom..but we always come back to AKL. There is a warmth and comfort there that I cannot explain. The lobby itself is breathtaking (especially at Christmas time), and the savannas are incredible. I also love dining at Boma (which is great food and casual) and Jiko (which is my wife's favorite restaurant in all of WDW). Have fun!

scoobygirl39541

Animal Kindgom Lodge is by far my family's favorite resort. We have stayed in several different places in the kingdom..but we always come back to AKL. There is a warmth and comfort there that I cannot explain. The lobby itself is breathtaking (especially at Christmas time), and the savannas are incredible. I also love dining at Boma (which is great food and casual) and Jiko (which is my wife's favorite restaurant in all of WDW). Have fun!

This is basically exactly what I typed! haha I agree with everything. AKL is hands down our favorite resort too. Stayed there several times and never get tired of it! The lobby is breathtaking but not overwhelmingly huge (ie grand floridian). The smells, the sounds, and overall "feel" is so unique and homey! Warmth and comfort are 2 words I would definitely use when describing the resort as a whole.

Redhawk

Glad I found this thread! I'm doing a solo trip soon and plan to go to AKL the afternoon I arrive. I've never been there and want to spend my whole evening exploring it, from about 4 pm to 8 pm.

I need help planning transportation. I'll be staying at the Dolphin, and AK closes that day at 5 pm. Is the best plan to go, by Disney's shuttle bus, from the Dolphin to AK and then take another bus to AKL? (I don't plan to go into AK.) Then for the return trip, take the bus from AKL to the TTC (or Downtown Disney) and then back to the Dolphin? Is it perhaps easier and quicker to take a taxi from AKL back to the Dolphin that evening? Any approximate idea what the fare might be?

DABIGCHEEZ

This one of my favorite resorts and yes there are many activities to do. Another reason I like it, is that after a busy day at the bustling parks... one can unwind as it is a very relaxing resort(unlike some of the others that always have a high-energy around them.)

The whole "night-vision" goggle thing is... meh. We did this last time and while there is no charge and we just walked up to one of the overlooks where it was taking place, most animals were way in the back once the dark sets in, so the viewing wasn't anything special.

One thing I will recommend, is checking the schedule for presentations in the library. We enjoyed on given by 2 CMs from South Africa. It was very well done and informative as they presented all aspects of their home country(Native customs and cultures, foods, sports, wildlife, tourism, etc.). We have never tried the safari around the different savanahs as we feel we get great looks from the many overlooks and balconies throughout the resort and Kilimanjaro Safaris over at AK provides the same thing without having to cough up more $$.

Boma is one of my favorite restaurants as well, but in recent trips I have been out-voted for other dining locations.:(

Last edited:

Glasgow

Dont forget the roasted marshmallows at the campfire! Its adjacent to the savannah behind the main pool.. they also have the googles there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom