News Exploratory geotechnical borings for new Epcot retention pond suggest new projects are in the works

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know why I haven't thought to ask the following before, given that I knew about the difference in water levels:
1. How much is the difference in water levels? 10 feet? More?
2. Given that World Showcase Lagoon is above the natural level of lakes and waterways in the area, how is the level of the lake maintained? Is it natural? Is the bottom of the lake (above the natural level) lined to prevent infiltration of the water down to the level of the water table? I guess a more general question is how is the level of the lagoon (and Crescent Lake) maintained?

BTW, as a crazy idea they could always build a lock to transfer boats from one level to the other! That would be quite exciting for some people! Well, maybe just me. (but it might not be so good for the boat schedule - it would be faster to get out and transfer) Or they could use the boats from PotC and have them hauled up one way and take a plunge down in the other direction! haha!
There is a variety of different ways to build and maintain the water level in both natural and artificial lakes. I am not sure exactly what Disney uses, but odds are they are similar to the methods below.

Artificial lakes can be designed to be either wet or dry lakes. In the simplest terms, what is put at the bottom makes the difference. Sand drains much better than rocks. If you want a lake bed that drains as fast as possible you basically remove the rocks and add sand. To get a wet lake you do the opposite. In some cases, liners can be added to increase the water retention.

Probably the most common thing you will see to control the water level is an overflow valve. This is generally nothing more than a large pipe set a little below the max level of the lake. When the water level gets too high, it simply flows into another area which is usually either a spill off or a dry retention pond.

fig8.gif

images

For most retention ponds, overflow protection is all they will have as "empty" is often an acceptable option.

With something like the lake and waterways at Epcot where a minimum depth must be maintained, there are several other methods for raising the water level.

The most direct way is to pump it in from another lake, reservoir, tank or even ground. They can also install systems that can divert more or less storm runoff into the lake.

Lastly, just because one body of water is a few feet higher than the other does not mean the water table in the lower area is still not high enough to support it. It just means that connecting the two becomes a little more complicated and will most likely involve a lock or two.

lock-animation-300-vid.gif

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

Close to zero. Though, according to @marni1971, it was once considered. Problem is that the bodies of water from World Showcase to Crescent Lake to DHS are elevated and separate from all the surrounding canals. In fact, the canal leading out of WS to CL is a water bridge -- literally a bridge of water -- that crosses over a canal!

So, to extend that water way to other resorts, there'd be massive grading and berming and more water bridges and more vehicular bridges.

The gondola was the alternative. With the money spent on that, extending the ferries is dead dead.

This water bridge is the most complicated on property. It moves 4 different modes of traffic.

One lane of guest vehicle traffic, canal piped under, backstage epcot vehicle traffic, all underneath world showcase to crescent lake canal traffic.

Pretty amazing.

1534438710354.png

P_Radden

This water bridge is the most complicated on property. It moves 4 different modes of traffic.

One lane of guest vehicle traffic, canal piped under, backstage epcot vehicle traffic, all underneath world showcase to crescent lake canal traffic.

Pretty amazing.

View attachment 304315
This one and the one between Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon have always intrigued me, and IMO, have only added to the wonder that is WDW. I love the engineering involved in things like this, the railroad going through Splash, or Garden Grille overlooking LwtL and of course the monorail traveling through the Contemporary.. Heck, even the Astro Orbiter/People Mover TTA/Quick Service all in one structure... Combo purpose engineering is always interesting especially as seen around WDW.

MaximumEd

This one and the one between Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon have always intrigued me, and IMO, have only added to the wonder that is WDW. I love the engineering involved in things like this, the railroad going through Splash, or Garden Grille overlooking LwtL and of course the monorail traveling through the Contemporary.. Heck, even the Astro Orbiter/People Mover TTA/Quick Service all in one structure... Combo purpose engineering is always interesting especially as seen around WDW.

Same. As a science, engineering, technology geek, the way the place was designed and continues to run keeps me coming back as much as the rides and entertainment. It truly fascinates me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Expansion around GotG or Future World general?

There were proposals for new resorts at or near Epcot's main entrance. GotG and these proposed resorts led to a reconfiguration of the canals with new retention ponds and areas for development. The resorts, however, are now on hold. And apart from GotG's 'gravity building' and the Space Restaurant, nothing new is currently in the works to be built in the Future World area.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There were proposals for new resorts at or near Epcot's main entrance. GotG and these proposed resorts led to a reconfiguration of the canals with new retention ponds and areas for development. The resorts, however, are now on hold. And apart from GotG's 'gravity building' and the Space Restaurant, nothing new is currently in the works to be built in the Future World area.
There’s.... stuff. Not greenlit yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom