Explain the appeal of Test Track

Nansafan

Like many ride/attractions what you personally take into them adds to the adventure. We tend to travel in a group of 6 or more. When we are at TT, we fill the whole car. We talk to each other, we talk to the testing people when they say things about the anti-lock breaks, and talk to them when they talk about the barrier test, "barrier test, what barrier test?" or "did he say berium test?" Disney, like life is what you put into it. Sing along with Splash Mountain, ride BTMRR with your head turned backwards, dance in line at Space.

Huck

Original Poster
Grizz, that is hysterical!

I love that it is worth your time to do that to bring humor to the post.
I'm a little sensitive these days since I got torched for posting that bogus article on SGE in the News/Rumors forum.

Anyway, thanks for making me laugh!

KaliSplash

The appeal of Test Track is that it is a 'thrill' ride without big drops, or loops. The 65 mph outside gives it the thrill aspect in a way that's more 'comforting' for people than RNRC or Tower of Terror or M:S or SM etc.

General Grizz

Huck said:
Grizz, that is hysterical!

I love that it is worth your time to do that to bring humor to the post.
I'm a little sensitive these days since I got torched for posting that bogus article on SGE in the News/Rumors forum.

Anyway, thanks for making me laugh!
My pleasure. :D

BRER STITCH

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
Which is why it says on the back of my T-Shirt
"0-60 in 2.8 seconds" :hammer:

Silly CAPTAIN!

That's how fast most people run to the bathroom AFTER the ride!!!

:hurl: :lol: :lookaroun

scottvicki

Test track is nothing more than a roller coaster with no hills. It's predecessor was way better. Most of the rides at EPCOT have been slowly going away to make room for faster rides that draw in more people.

wdwjmp239

Test Track Opinion

Here's my opinion on Test Track:

Test Track, in my opinion, is a fun ride. I'm not much of a roller coaster/thrill-ride person, but this meets my "thrill ride" needs. The first time I went on Test Track with my parents back in November 1999, they enjoyed the ride as well. I especially remember the entertainment in the queue area outside. Anyone remember "Lumpy The Crash Test Dummy?" Cheesy? Yes. Cute? Yes. Did it pass the time? Yes. Or, what about the huge beach balls the cast members would throw out into the crowd so they can be volleyed between guests. That was fun, too. Now, Test Track is one of those rides that you just get a FastPass, get in line, and ride. I don't find anything wrong with Test Track except that they still need to stop the ride from time to time for whatever reason.

I do remember when I went to Disney this past weekend, there was this one guy with his girlfriend who stepped out of line, turned around, and walked past everyone complaining how he wasn't going to wait an hour just to drive a car. My g/f and I thought his snippiness towards the people in line was quite funny. My comment to him as he was walking by was, "It's worth the wait." :)

For the record, that's the longest I'll ever wait on line (without fast pass) is an hour. Any longer (expect Soarin' which was 95 mins and the FastPass times were to return at 3-3:15pm), it would warrant a FastPass. :)

wdwjmp239

Expo_Seeker40 said:
I still hum "It's fun to be free" when I'm entering the former Motion pavilion. :p

HAHAHAH!! Remember that song?!?? I love it! I still can't believe the Test Track Pavilion was the former World Of Motion Pavilion. :)

wdwjmp239

CaptJackSparrow said:
dave2822 said:
Though it is the fastest ride on WDW property

Actually...the fastest is the Monorail! It is capable of reaching top speeds that beat any other ride at WDW.

:eek:

Test Track goes "64.8 MPH" (unless that's just a graphic to make you think you're going that fast), how fast is the monorail capable of going?

peter11435

CaptJackSparrow said:
dave2822 said:
Though it is the fastest ride on WDW property

Actually...the fastest is the Monorail! It is capable of reaching top speeds that beat any other ride at WDW.

:eek:
That is no longer true. That was what disney said before TT or RnRC were built. Both of these now beat out the monorail. While TT is the fastest ride on Disney property.

KevinPage

I like Test Track mainly becuase it's a fun ride. It's also somethnig different that you can't ride anywhere else except Disney. :D

I.M.Fearless

Test Track is sorta half-n-half thrill ride and roller coaster. Part of its thrill is that it can do things that roller coasters can't. And in the process, it teaches you something (kids, wear your seat belts)! Plus, with Mission: SPACE now open, the lines have gotten shorter, and it seems they are finally figuring out how to keep it from stopping (though I hear it still has problems in the rain). So all in all it is one of Epcot's best rides, being mostly scary enough to be an exciting experience but not too scary for some people who do not like roller coasters.

P.S. RollerCoaster Tycoon desperately needs a Test Track style ride. (I thought I would just add that to get people's thoughts.)

casualrdt

Test Track is pretty cool in my book. It has the right amount of everything, themeing and thrills. I would say those who don't get the idea behind it just are not drawn to that style attraction.

psuchad

I don’t know how much more Test Track could be about transportation. You are moved around the attraction in a car for crying out load. Yes, the World of Motion showed different modes of transportation and the whole creation of the wheel thing, but Test Track can’t be faulted because it focuses on one form of transportation.

Another thing everybody seems to realize is that these attractions thrive with sponsorship. Just look at Wonders of Life. No sponsor and the attraction is dead. GM wanted to do something special with what they know. They know cars and what goes into them. If GM wants to build an attraction such as Test Track, they are the sponsor and can use their money to pull in their favor.

For those that don’t understand the concept of Test Track and why it belongs in a former World of Motion building. 1) They are cars and they move. 2) They are the most common form of motion people currently use as opposed to walking possibly. 3) GM focuses on a more educational line than WOM did. Instead of comical scenes with horse carriage accidents, they focus on the testing and safety features that go into modern cars. 4) This isn’t the 80’s anymore. While you might not like change, you can’t stop it. People just are not wowed by animatronics anymore. The things are everywhere and are getting very tired. Today people want thrills. If Epcot does not change to incorporate what people want then they will eventually have to close the gates.

You can’t always get what you want and when it comes to a business’s (which Disney is) bottom line, sometime you have to do something you don’t agree with to survive.

Stepping off soapbox and blending into the crowd.

GSpiff

I personally love Test Track, go on it everytime I'm down there. My fiancee is one who doesn't see the appeal. Personally I think that it's a genetic thing. On some genetic level, there must be a Test Track chromosome, like there is for people who can roll their tounges. Either you like Test Track or you don't.

My big question is that I went down in December of 2004, and while I was there, the wait for Test Track was unreal. It was 2 hours in the standby line and the Fastpass return was about three hours for a return. Yet, I was able to go on Mission:Space three times back to back with no wait (Well, except a couple minutes to make sure I wasn't revisited by my dinner) through the standby line. Is this to say that Test Track is actually more popular than Mission:Space?? Or could it be that more people were afraid to ride Mission:Space? Any theories on this one?

Chape19714

GSpiff said:
I personally love Test Track, go on it everytime I'm down there. My fiancee is one who doesn't see the appeal. Personally I think that it's a genetic thing. On some genetic level, there must be a Test Track chromosome, like there is for people who can roll their tounges. Either you like Test Track or you don't.

My big question is that I went down in December of 2004, and while I was there, the wait for Test Track was unreal. It was 2 hours in the standby line and the Fastpass return was about three hours for a return. Yet, I was able to go on Mission:Space three times back to back with no wait (Well, except a couple minutes to make sure I wasn't revisited by my dinner) through the standby line. Is this to say that Test Track is actually more popular than Mission:Space?? Or could it be that more people were afraid to ride Mission:Space? Any theories on this one?
Well, a CM once explained this to me, so here it is! Why TT is more popular than M:S!

1-TT is more accessable. Anyone from the height requirement to age 80 would enjoy it.

2-Although many are facinated with space, cars seem to be a more popular subject, especially with 13-35 year old men. An Auto magizine has always sold more copies than a space magizine.

3-Due to the thrill factor, M:S is one of those rides that some people will only do "once in a lifetime", therefore, after the morning crowds cease, the lines are lowered. TT is a ride that people experance over and over again.

4-The restrictions on M:S, this fits in with number 1, but still worth mentioning. M:S has many restrictions TT does not have.

So there you have it, 4 reasons. If i think of more, i'll post 'em

GSpiff

Those are all really good reasons, and it also kind of explains why Disney tends to shy away from doing too many thrill rides, in particular, the fact that most people will do it "once in a lifetime". Logic would seem to dictate if that's true, then Disney would want rides that people are bound to go on over and over, ones that have a more timeless quality.

Thanks for the insight!

jreuben

If i had to scrape the barrel for a reason why Test Track is awesome it would be that it allows you to do things on cars which are otherwise normally prohibited by law. i.e. go really fast and go on really fast, sharp turns.
Umm. You can go 65 in a car. On turns to with the right car. Just probably not a Chevy, which is ironic. (Calm down 'muh Vette' owners, your car sucks).

But that aside - I still like TT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom