experimental entry system @ Epcot

Phonedave

But will there be a Fastpass for this new interactive installation?:lol:

OF course there will be. But to get the Fastpass you have to go through a turnstile.

I think things would go a lot faster if they hung up signs that said "ATTENTION GUESTS, PUSHING DOWN HARDER ON THE PRINT SCANNER DOES NOT MAKE IT GO FASTER". Some people use it like they are pushing a button - fingertip bent back and turning white from the effort.

-dave

MissM

I am pretty sure that WDW has bar code readers on the turnstiles now but the are on accessibly by the cast. My ticket AP was giving me issues on my last trip and the CM scanned the back with what appeared to be a bar code reader.
Yup, they definitely do have the bar code readers on the CM side. In fact, a year ago when one of the tickets went bad, they told us to make sure they gave us one of the newer styles to replace it that had the barcode on it. Said it helps speed things up in case of problems with the magnetic strip.

Last Saturday there was a card read error on Love's ticket and the CM just took it, scanned it and waved him through.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I got a couple quick videos of this today.

http://socialcam.com/v/CT9WM3Qz

http://socialcam.com/v/e2HTDu7v

Most guests were confused by it, some even complained to the survey person it was "too hard".

I think they are just not used to it. My concern watching it is how will they ever keep an eye on every person coming through to know who did and didn't scan in already?
Agreed. This thing would be pure chaos in the morning at opening. About the only thing I could see it working for is a stroller only lane or possible AP holders.

Jerm

So instead of 1 cast member dealing with 2 turnstiles of guest not knowing what they were doing they now have to deal with 4 people walking right past them as they are trying to help someone else......but then again it could be better then the past tests. I can remember how hard it was for people just to put the card in the slot (heck us California people could never figure it out!)

PhilharMagician

How about manning all of the turnsiles in the morning instead of 1/2 of them? That would help reduce the the mess in the morning. I drives me insane standing there waiting in long lines when many turnstiles are not even used.

Getting rid of the unreliable magnetic strip would also be good. It can be frustrating having to rerun your card multiple times when your ticket/pass does not register. Fortunately it seems that more often now the CM's are either using the barcode or simply pressing their all mighty by-pass button to get guests in quicker during the morning rush.

This flying "V" configuration looks like a disaster waiting to happen! Can you imagine you are using one of the middle scanners and you are blocked in by the outer rows? I can see elbows flying along with some other things. On top of that, I can see people simply walking through without scanning just because of the confusion.

MickeyMind

I dont think the turnstyles were the issue here.. In my experience, the thing that holds up the line is having only 2 or 3 machines running when there is a whole row full of them not being used.

Another thing that causes a delay is bag check. I understand for the safety of guests bag checks are needed, but its always such a hassle to go through those things, they only have 2 security guards looking through the bags of 100+ people at a time. Maybe if they were to just station more cms at bag check and the turnstyles they wouldnt need to try "fix" this.

bugsbunny

Unless you have CMs riding herd right there at the choke points left and right, you've basically made a 4 lines into 1 bottleneck.

Who hasn't tried to go through and you get a scooter and/or their entire entourage half way through....but the rest of the party can't work their tickets? What do they do? The half that made it through STOPS at their turnstile to observe or goes through just enough to turn it...and then turns around to wait for the rest of their group to get it together.

You will now have the groups hanging in this choke point while the rest of their group holds up the line behind them. This is also right up there with the people that put their ticket in, have it come out, and then proceed to collect them all and put them in their wallet/purse...and THEN go through the turnstile.

So as I said, unless the CMs are riding herd to make sure you can't hang out at the choke point, its really not going to improve the bottleneck, just move it 8-10 feet. :ROFLOL:

MissM

About the only thing I could see it working for is a stroller only lane or possible AP holders.
Yes! Let's please, please, please open a lane just for people who actually know how to use the scanners! :lol: I swear, you'd think it was rocket science for as confused as people are by what to do with the whole process!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes! Let's please, please, please open a lane just for people who actually know how to use the scanners! :lol: I swear, you'd think it was rocket science for as confused as people are by what to do with the whole process!

The problem with that is that guests won't see the sign for "AP holders only" and will wait in line, then get upset when they're turned away to go to another line.

I haven't previously considered a faster way of letting guests through, but it would be interesting to figure out....hmm...

TTATraveler

A simple solution would be to get rid of the biometrics scanner and magnetic strip readers. Have a CM at each turnstile scanning ticket bar codes just like Disneyland and Sea World do. That will speed things up tremendously. Separate lines dedicated for AP holders and people traveling with strollers and wheel chairs would be a plus, but I can see people totally disregarding those signs.

askmike1

Oh my goodness, you people here are crazy. What we have to base things on here is one picture and the phrase "experimental" entry system. And of course where does that logically take the discussion..... "this is a horrible change and Disney is crazy for trying something new." Seriously, I think sometimes that is all you guys think here. A change is made and it is automatically bad. Let's give it a chance, shall we. Disney is a leader when it comes to organization and people management, they know the obstacles this will bring and will make ways to fix it.

And for goodness sake this is "experimental".... meaning they are trying something new and seeing if it will work. Let's see where this takes us. If this improves things, all the better. If not, it won't be implemented. And as for the bar-code vs strip debate... based purely on what I've seen at Universal (bar-codes) and Disney (magnetic strip), the strip usually goes faster as it does not matter which way you enter it.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I don't understand the reason they're in a "flying V." It seems like it would be very easy for people to sneak on by, especially in the morning when it's a mob scene.

This has disaster written all over it.

Millionaire2K

To save time for me and other guest at the turnstile I scan my ticket myself via the bar code b4 even trying the magnetic strip. I just reach over the finger scanner and scan the ticket where you see the red laser around where your ticket pops out. It’s quicker than the magnetic strip and it works 100 percent of the time.

A few times cast members would comment about how I’m “a pro at that” or “you learn that from working here?”. So they don’t care. They like not having to help :p.

rct247

Having worked Disney turnstiles, I don't see this working out in a crowded situation. The amount of labor wouldn't and shouldn't change. My guess is that there will still have to be at least 4 cast members for 8 turnstiles. 2 at the consoles and 2 manning the openings. Based on the photo, I don't see a way to "lock" guests out if their ticket doesn't scan, if the park is closed, etc. I even looks more confusing.

I see where this design and set up may be a benefit to families and those with strollers and wheelchairs, but it WILL NOT be a benefit for cast members who will have to work harder with tourists who don't understand the system, why will just want to get in, and will try to find ways to sneak past.

toolsnspools

C'mon folks. The current "V" setup is only for the test. One of the silver stations on the "V" would be at each turnstyle for a real implementation. :veryconfu

SeasonPass2

RFID may be part of this entry system

Could this be the RFID entry system that's been rumored for so long???

As a season pass holder, I am REALLY looking forward to doing away with my paper ticket and moving on to the 21st century. Just give me a bracelet, necklace or pin (I don't care), and I'll be able to glide into the park, get fast passes and identify myself when making purchases without juggling my ID, season pass and credit card at the counter.

Bring it on, Disney!!!:sohappy:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not so sure....the alternate text for the photo says 'Experimental Entry Configuration at Epcot'

"Configuration" suggests that that is the way they will set it up. :shrug:

TRONorail10

Having had experience working at Magic Kingdom turnstiles... this system would be a logistical nightmare! A rotating turnstile is the only thing that prevents a guest from wandering into the park without a valid ticket scan! Undercover security are lazy and useless. Those turnstile cast members are the first and last line of defense for valid park entry. As pointed out, it is hard enough dealing with guests at 2 turnstiles not knowing what they are doing, let alone 4. Either way, the cast member still has to provide assistance to one guest at a time. If there is no turnstile or gate the CM is monitoring, WHAT IS GOING TO STOP SOMEBODY FROM WALKING STRAIGHT INTO THE PARK WHEN A CM IS OCCUPIED BY AN IDIOT WHO CAN'T FIGURE OUT THE MACHINE???!!! Seriously? Am i really seeing this? They would need a security guard at every entry! It's an open invitation for disaster. The magnetic strips are something that could be realistically eliminated because the barcode reader works faster and more accurately, ALL of the time. You can't eliminate the biometrics scan (not a fingerprint by the way) because then people could just pass off tickets to whomever they want. The biometrics scan eliminates ticket fraud! It is a GOOD thing! I know somebody else touched on this before, and it is especially true at Magic Kingdom, if you want a shorter line... move 10-20 feet to your left or right depending on which side you enter. Guest always walk in a straight line and head to the turnstiles closest to the center. If you simply take a few steps to the side, you can usually get a much shorter line because MK typically keeps most of their turnstiles open for a good portion of the day for entry. Final thought - this is EXPERIMENTAL, and i will personally go over to EPCOT to evaluate myself. That is all.

THE TRONorail

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom