Expedition Everest stopped

BrerFrog

Wow! 5 trains! :eek:

That seems almost dangerous!

It is not that crazy. Number one at load, number two on the first series of lifts and drops, number 3 on the top of the hill ready to go backwards, number 4 watching the Yeti video and number 5 on unload.

Did I get it right?! :D

Horizonstta

The refurb/AK problem is common sense combined with what I've read across the internet about the dilemma the park is in.

Well, I don't know about common sense, but you had some pretty big claims in your post. I'm not sure how you can make these claims, but if you're getting information from the internet, that may explain things.

Expedition Everest is only supposed to operate with four trains, and five trains should only be used in times of high attendance.

If five trains are sufficient in times of "high attendance," what's the problem with using five during less peak times? Are you saying Disney runs five trains year round, no matter what? If so, how do you know that?

Unfortunately, efficiency beat out over show, and five trains are now used extensively, disrupting the show and apparently putting the ride under greater strain.

How does an extra train impact the overall show? Can't being efficient be helpful to the show? Are you saying running five trains is dangerous to guests, since the ride is under "greater strain?" If so, how do you know this?

Expedition Everest has so much wrong with it at this point, and only a refurb will be able to fix it.

Apart from the Yeti, which you see of all about a second of the attraction, what other things impact your enjoyment on the attraction? Your description makes it sound like the attraction is falling apart. Don't get me wrong, I'd like the Yeti to be fixed, but, to be honest, my family and I enjoy the attraction as much as always.

This is the giant elephant in the room that management is ignoring, and reflects on management's choice to not add any more rides to take the pressure off of the park's major E-tickets.

How do you know what TDO's plans are for this? How do you know the "problems" are being ignored? Have you sat in on management meetings? Have you seen internal documents? Why do you think this somehow reflects on managements decisions to add new attractions?

SeaCastle

Well, I don't know about common sense, but you had some pretty big claims in your post. I'm not sure how you can make these claims, but if you're getting information from the internet, that may explain things.

In retrospect they were claims that I shouldn't have made that I read on the internet, which I know isn't known for being reliable.

If five trains are sufficient in times of "high attendance," what's the problem with using five during less peak times? Are you saying Disney runs five trains year round, no matter what? If so, how do you know that?

It was my understanding that the ride was most optimal to have four trains running, not five. I don't know how management runs their trains.

How does an extra train impact the overall show? Can't being efficient be helpful to the show? Are you saying running five trains is dangerous to guests, since the ride is under "greater strain?" If so, how do you know this?

I don't know the specifics of what the extra train affects, just that it has the potential to affect the show. The "greater strain" was BS on my part, as I've come to realize most of my post was pretty baseless in fact.

Apart from the Yeti, which you see of all about a second of the attraction, what other things impact your enjoyment on the attraction? Your description makes it sound like the attraction is falling apart. Don't get me wrong, I'd like the Yeti to be fixed, but, to be honest, my family and I enjoy the attraction as much as always.

I didn't say my enjoyment of the attraction was impeded, but that effects like waterfalls, misters, birds on sticks, the Yeti (which yes, is only seen for a fleeting second) are either broken or turned off and have been for numerous years. Regardless, I enjoy the attraction just as much as I always have, but like a jumping Brer Rabbit, crash test barrier in Test Track, or fireworks in Muppet Vision 3D, they are not necessary for my enjoyment of the attraction but it's nice to see those effects working.

How do you know what TDO's plans are for this? How do you know the "problems" are being ignored? Have you sit in on management meetings? Have you seen internal documents? Why do you think this somehow reflects on managements decisions to add new attractions?

I'm simply repeating what I've seen credible posters like Lee said. I don't have any documents or have sat it on management meetings, so it wasn't right for me to make such grandiose claims.

P.S. This is the thread I read (three years ago, no wonder I don't know what I'm talking about.) http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=162472

DisneyLeo18

Why? If there are enough separate break zones, there is nothing wrong with it. The CM's have to be a little more one the spot on load, because the trains come in faster. If they are slow, then you get a pause coming into unload.

I don't see how 5 cars sacrifices show, or causes additional stress aside from increasing the number of guests that cycle the ride.

-dave

I'm pretty sure adding the 5th train messes up the show because while you are riding you can see the other trains on the track. That is why they are only supposed to resort to the 5th train to handle high attendance.

Again I can be completely wrong. :wave:

IlikeDW

In retrospect they were claims that I shouldn't have made that I read on the internet, which I know isn't known for being reliable.

It was my understanding that the ride was most optimal to have four trains running, not five. I don't know how management runs their trains.

I don't know the specifics of what the extra train affects, just that it has the potential to affect the show. The "greater strain" was BS on my part, as I've come to realize most of my post was pretty baseless in fact.

I didn't say my enjoyment of the attraction was impeded, but that effects like waterfalls, misters, birds on sticks, the Yeti (which yes, is only seen for a fleeting second) are either broken or turned off and have been for numerous years. Regardless, I enjoy the attraction just as much as I always have, but like a jumping Brer Rabbit, crash test barrier in Test Track, or fireworks in Muppet Vision 3D, they are not necessary for my enjoyment of the attraction but it's nice to see those effects working.

I'm simply repeating what I've seen credible posters like Lee said. I don't have any documents or have sat it on management meetings, so it wasn't right for me to make such grandiose claims.

P.S. This is the thread I read (three years ago, no wonder I don't know what I'm talking about.) http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=162472

I remember the discussion you are referring to. The statement was made that 5 trains create an issue with the timing of the Yeti and it's ability to get ready to move in time for next train, it was also theorized that the extra cycles contributed to the failure. I do not remember who posted but that is what I remember.

Space Mountain

I would chime in here with quotes, but its too much of a hastle...

5 trains does cause problems if the blocks ahead cause a cascade.

Ride is designed for 5 train operation, recommended to use 4 trains, unless in high capacity (as stated above)

--How So for causing strain? Pinch Breaks (Safety Breaks) are supposed to be used to hold a train when the block ahead is occupied. In 5 Train Op, if the crew is not quick enough, trains begin to cascade and the ride system activates these brakes. They are technically not made for continuous every day use.

-Yeti is not directly related, but can be related as sensors do trigger the show movement. Move sensor flags = more show movement.

-The End-

Testtrack321

First of all, it has been reported on these boards a lot about 5 train operation from people who know. It's older material and kinda boring, but that's not the point.

EE is designed to run 4 trains. This allows for smooth transitions and a better "show."

Ever get hung up before going backwards? Or stuck in the Yeti shadow cave? Or even just parked outside of unload. That's because of 5 train operation. During 4 train operation you don't see any other trains while on the ride (you can see one on the lift hill during 5), the scenes don't transition as well, and the show loses flow.

Everest can safely be run at 5, but preferable to have 4.

SMRT-1

I wish the Orlando Slantinel would just go bankrupt and cease operations.:fork: I certainly would not miss having a newspaper in Orlando. Between these "non-newsworthy stories" and their writers feeling the constant need to start a sentence with the word "and", I cannot stomach reading this newspaper.

so don't read it? :shrug:

Phonedave

First of all, it has been reported on these boards a lot about 5 train operation from people who know. It's older material and kinda boring, but that's not the point.

EE is designed to run 4 trains. This allows for smooth transitions and a better "show."

Ever get hung up before going backwards? Or stuck in the Yeti shadow cave? Or even just parked outside of unload. That's because of 5 train operation. During 4 train operation you don't see any other trains while on the ride (you can see one on the lift hill during 5), the scenes don't transition as well, and the show loses flow.

Everest can safely be run at 5, but preferable to have 4.

OK I can see block cascades happening and that causing show to suffer. But that is a case of something going wrong (slow load/unload) Of course you want to build in some float there. You don't want the ride timed down the split second where if a guest stops to get a bag into the holder it throws the whole timing off.

But to say you see a train ahead of you on the lift hill ruins the show, thats just silly. What about the half dozen trains you see before you get on yours?

-dave

EpcotServo

Expedition Everest is only supposed to operate with four trains, and five trains should only be used in times of high attendance. Unfortunately, efficiency beat out over show, and five trains are now used extensively, disrupting the show and apparently putting the ride under greater strain. Expedition Everest has so much wrong with it at this point, and only a refurb will be able to fix it. This is the giant elephant in the room that management is ignoring, and reflects on management's choice to not add any more rides to take the pressure off of the park's major E-tickets.

THIS^ All true.

Why? If there are enough separate break zones, there is nothing wrong with it. The CM's have to be a little more one the spot on load, because the trains come in faster. If they are slow, then you get a pause coming into unload.

I don't see how 5 cars sacrifices show, or causes additional stress aside from increasing the number of guests that cycle the ride.

-dave

OK I can see block cascades happening and that causing show to suffer. But that is a case of something going wrong (slow load/unload) Of course you want to build in some float there. You don't want the ride timed down the split second where if a guest stops to get a bag into the holder it throws the whole timing off.

But to say you see a train ahead of you on the lift hill ruins the show, thats just silly. What about the half dozen trains you see before you get on yours?

-dave

Here's the (many) problems with 5 Trains running at the same time.

1. The ride just wasn't designed for it. Know how all coasters have 1 extra train added to the number of usually running trains? So if one has problems you have a spare? Well Everest ONLY has 5 Trains. BECAUSE it was designed to only run 4 at a time.

2. When you are riding Everest with 5 trains, you'll hear the Track switch at Broken Trestle switch over WHILE you are ON Lift B. That means if the track switch ahead of you DIDN'T switch, the ONLY thing stopping your train is the ability to stop that lift chain. Now, Management did rush ahead and spend an outrageous amount of money to modify the lift in several ways just so they can pack another train in. The lift was only designed to run at one speed, and that had to be changed. They can now switch it over to a slower speed to allow the switch ahead time to change that before it didn't need (Because the train was well away from it, as far as Load or Lift A.)

Now I'm sure the failsafes are fine, and the ride can handle it. HOWEVER- That Lift chain wasn't meant to be a reliable break zone. It is, and can be...But I'm more than a little unnerved cutting so close to when that track switch ahead flips over. The more time and distance the better, and 5 trains on Everest DOES NOT allow that.

3. Worse Capacity. This seems weird? Isn't the 5 train system supposed to add capacity? Well, it doesn't. YES there are more people on the track, but to do that, the lift and load times are slowed. They are on the ride for longer. And, as I said, most days a train needs to be taken offline. Then you're back to running 4 trains AND the ride is slower.
:lol:

4. Show, Show, Show. When you're in 5 Train mode, you are guranteed to stop in at least one place you aren't meant too. AND you're at Shadow of the Yeti and Broken Trestle longer than need be. Not to mention endless cascades and continuously seeing trains when you should not.

I can't say this enough, but Everest as I rode it January 16th, 2006 was a PERFECT attraction. But management has a way of making things more "efficient" that end up backfiring in ways they realize but don't understand need to stop. It's safe, but personally I can't stand when they run 5 trains in the summer.

Mansion Butler

I can't say this enough, but Everest as I rode it January 16th, 2006 was a PERFECT attraction. But management has a way of making things more "efficient" that end up backfiring in ways they realize but don't understand need to stop. It's safe, but personally I can't stand when they run 5 trains in the summer.
This. I was lucky enough to ride during the Cast previews, and short of some show issues in the queue, it was perfect. There was mist in the caves, there was an astounding animatronic, there were waterfalls and details and it was just an incredible and immersive experience that I'd put right on par with any other attraction in the parks.

Now, I still like it, but it makes me sad remembering what it was. :(

Thurp

I was one of the "lucky" people to get evacuated yesterday.

photo.jpg

janoimagine

People like you is what keeps this site in the negative. Why dont you search positive discussions about the park instead of the negative:veryconfu or is that not enough drama for you:zipit:

WOW ... You can choose to acknowledge the obvious problems or just put your head in the sand and ignore it ... looks like you chose the latter.

hrcollectibles

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the ride has come to a stop and guests are being e-vac'd off the ride .... they didn't say what time it happened but the story was posted at 3:15 est ... that's all I have

What I do not understand is why the Orlando Sentinel would even report this as news??:shrug:

DocMcHulk

They always do Disney is a big deal in ORlando it makes sence to me. Infact The only reason Orlando is a big city is because of WDW.

While I think in time Orlando would have grown because of where it is located, WDW gave it a boost 20 years ahead of it's time.

SOLISIMO

WOW ... You can choose to acknowledge the obvious problems or just put your head in the sand and ignore it ... looks like you chose the latter.

We know that expedition everest needs fixing but the fact that people keep picking at it gets old, Im sure that disney has something in the works but some of you people just like to argue. Once they fix the yeti Im sure you'll find something else to complain about.

I dont live my life like that;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom