News Expedition Everest refurbishment in 2022

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
FWIW, Jim Hill (on the latest Disney Dish Podcast) seems to be suggesting that some sort of projection mapping effect on the yeti could be implemented as part of this refurb...
do what now? I don't see how that would work unless they change the figure. Odd, if true. Be interesting to see how they'd pull that off. Disney's more recent entries into projection-mapped figures still require a mostly flat/smooth surface.

rreading

If I'm remembering the Everest Effect thread properly it was also partially the safety of yeti's location/motion above guests that has delayed his fixing, damage or no damage.
I recall that as well. My ultimate understanding is that it *would* be possible to repair and maintain but that it would be an ongoing need/expense. iirc, it’s also likely that OSHA required changes would also be necessary.

rreading

Personally, I agree. It is the small things that always made Disney superior.

My point is- the the bean counters (in charge) don't see it that way.
Those things continue to exist. It’s where they misstep that we call them on it. But AK still has all the details

Personally I hate it when there’s a death by a thousand cuts (Pirates. Maybe Epcot. I wonder about Jungle Cruise)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
do what now? I don't see how that would work unless they change the figure. Odd, if true. Be interesting to see how they'd pull that off. Disney's more recent entries into projection-mapped figures still require a mostly flat/smooth surface.
Believe me, I was just as puzzled when I heard it mentioned... I mean, I guess it could be possible that the projections would be on the walls around the yeti (a.l.a. the exploding mine effect on BTMR at DL) but I feel like that would only highlight further the fact that the yeti is not moving...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
only the arm has to move.
Sure...if you want it to look like an AA that you pick up at Spirit.

xBC3XOLh2uo-.gif

To be believable, the whole body needs to move.

full

lazyboy97o

Well clearly it would be anchored! As it is, there was something thrusting forward with the thrust of a passenger airline!
The forces are different for something that is controlled versus something that tugs.
I recall that as well. My ultimate understanding is that it *would* be possible to repair and maintain but that it would be an ongoing need/expense. iirc, it’s also likely that OSHA required changes would also be necessary.
The issue ultimately stems for the required additional maintenance that the park did not [want to] perform that also likely exceeded the originally agreed upon design criteria. OSHA standards are not like building codes where things get “grandfathered“ and if you don’t change it you can leave it as is. The timescale can be set over years but changes eventually have to be made regardless if something is changed.

Bleed0range

Is there not a way to change the ride so the yeti doesn’t swing over the train, if that’s one of the issues? Is there a possibility to animate it differently or can it only do that one animation? It seems like there’s a lot of different possibilities to “fixing” the yeti. Just no one wants to do it that’s calling the shots.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom