Expedition Everest...how intense of a ride is this?

Pete C

Original Poster
My friend has some sort of balance problem where high g-force rides cause her to get sick. We originally thought she was just scared of rollercoasters, so a couple of us talked her into going on Hulk at IOA. Bad idea! She got off the ride horribly dizzy and sick, and spent the rest of the day feeling miserable. Last year, we went to Disney, and we went on Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and Dinosaur. She had no problem with these rides, so I contend that it is only the high g-force rides that seem to bother her.

Anyway, my question is this...for those of you that have ridden Expedition Everest, would you consider this to be a lot more intense than Thunder or Space Mountain? Is the 80-foot drop a stomach churning drop, or are any of the helices high on the positive-G scale? I would love for her to go on this ride with me, but not at the expense of ruining her day at AK. Also, any suggestions on this would be great. Thanks!!

Pete

pintraderpayee

Haven't been on EE yet:cry: Don't let your friend ride Mission:Space. I hear that EE is a bit more intense than BTMR, but if she handled SM without problems she should be okay. There is a backward section on EE. You should be getting lots of posts from people who have actually ridden EE. Have a magical tripºoº

19 days until the "yellow limo" rolls (27 teens-school bus-930 miles of smiles:hammer: :sohappy: )

Pete C

Original Poster
Thanks for the MS warning. I've actually been on that ride, and believe me I wouldn't take her on that one. I've done most of the big, intense coasters in the States, and I would put MS right at the top of the heap in terms of G-forces and intensity. That ride even threw me for a loop! I wasn't quite right for a couple hours after riding it, but I'd had a long day already. I think it's a great ride regardless.

the-reason14

Having just ridden everest the past week about 15 times:)sohappy: holla)
I would say that it is a little more intense than SM almost as intense as Rock n Rollercoaster. I found that toward the end of the day in the back it seems the backwards portion and the drop can get intense, but Im guessing in the front toward the beggining of the day it wont be that bad.

Oh by the way, EE is AMAZING, it is now my fav in AK, if they can just make about 2 to 3 more rides like it in AK then IMo it'll be better than MGM.

Glasgow

There was just one part where you really get a lot of Gs - after coming out of the mountain and making a left turn. You get pressed down into your seat pretty good. Other than that, I wouldn't say it's too much worse than SM.

Even if you're not riding make sure you visit the village and possibly even the queue. It is so authentic and immersive - not something to be missed.

wannabeBelle

I didnt find it that intense. This site has a video of the ride which will be a good idea to watch. I watched it so I would know what to expect and it helped a great deal in that respect. I dont think it is anywhere near as intense as the Hulk. Different style of ride though. Good luck!! Belle

col

the-reason14 said:
Oh by the way, EE is AMAZING, it is now my fav in AK, if they can just make about 2 to 3 more rides like it in AK then IMo it'll be better than MGM.

IMO like hell is MGM better than AK. MGM is out dated (and dont say thats what its suppose to feel/look like). AK is one of my fave parks out of 3 weeks spent at disney i spent over a week in AK and over a week in MK and im not counting EMH's. i was fortunate to visit 2 times last year and the year before and have seen everest grow and i cant wait to ride it next year -queues and all!!

napnet

I rode EE Sunday (80 minute wait!) and it wasn't that intense. Going backwards was the only part i felt a little dizzy but the ride was so amazing it was worth it for any dizzyness. I also hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch so it may have been that :)

imagineersrock

Just my personal opinion here, but I don't think it would be wise to put someone with "balance issues" on a coaster that has a backwards portion in the dark. Sharp turns are one thing when you can see them coming and know which way you'll be going, but to be in the dark and going backwards and not knowing where you're going next just doesn't seem like it would be right for someone like her.

BUT---you know your friend much better than I do, so I would suggest you ride it first, see what you think, then decide if it is right for her or not.

the-reason14

col said:
IMO like hell is MGM better than AK. MGM is out dated (and dont say thats what its suppose to feel/look like). AK is one of my fave parks out of 3 weeks spent at disney i spent over a week in AK and over a week in MK and im not counting EMH's. i was fortunate to visit 2 times last year and the year before and have seen everest grow and i cant wait to ride it next year -queues and all!!

I would say that AK is better than MGM, but IMO I like MGM better than Ak. But it all depends on the day, sometimes I cant decide which one I like better, but I can see why more ppl would say AK.

jr06compmaster

hmmm, how this got off on "is ak better than mgm" is beyond me, but you can't really compare a animal based park to a movie based park can you? back to the op, EE is more intense than sm and btmr, but no wheres near RnRc imo. the backwards portion is by no means intense, as it doesn't have big drops it just kinda goes in a circle. the drop is a little big but its not at a steep incline so its no big deal and the helixes don't produce that many g's to worry about. again though, its your friend and you know her better than we do.

Pongo

Merlin said:
Everest is not intense.

Translation = It's booooooooorrrrrrrring!!

My God, you're annoying.

Pete C: I suggest that you ride Everest before atempting to get your friend on it. If they don't mind waiting, you could grab a fastpass first thing, ride it, and then decide if it would be okay for them. That's the most logical thing I can think of.

As stated earlier, the backwards portion is a bit intense. I tend to think the helix near the end is a little intense as well. I love Everest. It's a great ride. Definitely a must-do if you (and hopefully your friend, as well) are able.

Hope that helped :wave:

baloo_24

:veryconfu Sorry, don't agree there are many rides at AK. EE just happens to be the new thrill ride they have to offer. I have been on twice and it was excellent. It did not let me down at all . I feel it keeps up with all other Disney rides at all the parks.

LPK said:
It is the only ride at AK. The rest can't be classed as a ride. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom