Expedition Everest effects status watch

Doug Means

Thanks for proving my point, guys. This is exactly what I mean. This thread makes you care SO MUCH about this ONE problem that you ignore or don't care about major show issues elsewhere. I'm sorry, but no, the Yeti not functioning is NOT on the same level as riding Space Mountain with the lights on. Tower of Terror is in far, far worse show quality than Expedition Everest and has been for years. There have been several threads about this, but nobody cares because they don't remain stickied at the top of the forum for a freakin' decade telling people that this is an "important" issue. I have ridden both Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest with the show turned off and lights on. The experience on Tower of Terror is about 75% show effects. With the show turned off, it is nowhere near as thrilling, and you see how controlled and relatively slow the drop sequences really are. The drops also make up about 1/3rd of the total ride time while the rest is theatrical. Everest, on the other hand, is almost exactly as fun with no show at all because it is primarily a roller coaster - one that pulls some relatively intense maneuvers and does not need darkness to create intensity. The functioning yeti is window dressing at thee end of a roller coaster. Having experienced the attraction in it's opening day form, the functioning yeti does not somehow double the ride's value. Even when it first stopped working, it was more of a "aw shucks" than "OMG that made riding the ride totally pointless!!"

It's exhausting to see everyone exert so much negative energy into this one issue. I'm tired of discussing Disney and theme parks in real life, saying positive things such as how DAK is the best example of a completely cohesive theme park, and inevitably some socially awkward fanboy, who wants to appear superior and "in the know" in the conversation, says - with a $###-eating grin, "heh... but what about the YETI?"
WOW! do you feel better now? i hope so

Tom Morrow

WOW! do you feel better now? i hope so
Feel free to elaborate on why this thread is still more important than every other thread in the entire forum after 11 years.

I elaborated on why it is not and is also damaging and perpetuates negativity in the WDW fan community, on an already very negative and cynical forum.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
This is the topic that never ends.
Yes, it goes on and on my friends.
One day a big ol' yeti stopped moving
But we're all hoping it moves again.

Oh! This is the topic that never ends.

For twelve years now, we've been looping,
Round and round this thread, because...

That read this topic that'll never end
Yes, it goes on and on my friends...

KBLovedDisney

Qrn1CGI.gif

Doug Means

Feel free to elaborate on why this thread is still more important than every other thread in the entire forum after 11 years.

I elaborated on why it is not and is also damaging and perpetuates negativity in the WDW fan community, on an already very negative and cynical forum.
its just one thread out of many i follow. not only do i follow for information about WDW while i am not able to visit, but i follow for the entertainment value of some of the threads. who could think that the sh\kyway thread could have that many pages of talk? well so many off topic pages and entertainment answers or additions make me laugh. i bump the EE thread every once-in-a-while just for the heck of it. it make me laugh. and to see it hit the nerve of some people just adds to my laughter factor. like on the "laugh floor" i'm "that guy"
many people care that the yeti hasn't been fixed in sooooo long. i do care about that. but really this is a forum, some people...smh

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through Expedition Everest
Not a yeti was moving, not even to test
The hairbands hung on the snow with care
in hopes that Joe Rohde would eventually fix the lair
The tourists were nestled all snug in their train
would have visions of a working yeti and clean mountain that wouldn't be lame

Meh, I tried.

Last edited:

wdizneew

After riding Everest this past Saturday, I think they just need to implement a new effect to make the ending a bit more fulfilling.

I propose a giant scrim/screen along the track and to cover disco yeti and have a projection of the yeti chasing the train (you) out of the mountain. Something similar to Tron Lightcycle Power Run (see image below). Plus, it'll match up with the yeti projection just before the big drop.

ANYTHING would be better than a static disco yeti at this point!

tron.jpg

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
After riding Everest this past Saturday, I think they just need to implement a new effect to make the ending a bit more fulfilling.

I propose a giant scrim/screen along the track and to cover disco yeti and have a projection of the yeti chasing the train (you) out of the mountain. Something similar to Tron Lightcycle Power Run (see image below). Plus, it'll match up with the yeti projection just before the big drop.

ANYTHING would be better than a static disco yeti at this point!

View attachment 334827

That would be something. Maybe when the refurb finally comes, they'll fix Yeti and add some minor projections to complement the scene.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Y
That would be something. Maybe when the refurb finally comes, they'll fix Yeti and add some minor projections to complement the scene.
YETI still looks scary. You're moving along at a pretty good speed so all I can see is the arm down. While not A+ show quality, it's static state does not make me leaving the ride disappointed. It's a great themed coaster, one of the best.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Y
YETI still looks scary. You're moving along at a pretty good speed so all I can see is the arm down. While not A+ show quality, it's static state does not make me leaving the ride disappointed. It's a great themed coaster, one of the best.

I'm going for the first time in Jan, guess I'll see for myself ;) all I hear is yeti this hairband that.

wdizneew

Y

There's no doubt it's a great themed coaster, but the yeti was 1000x scarier when he was actually swiping his arm at you. I remember first riding it in 2006 and ducking down because I seriously thought he was going to hit me.

Almac97

I don't know how they could exactly do it, but in Spiderman in IOA they do an effect where scenery items drop rapidly to give you the feeling you're rapidly rising (though your car probably lifts you all of 12")

Timestamped to the actual part described.

It would be cool to know if they could light up a portion of the cave wall behind the Yeti's arm and head and have it physically raise to give the quick impression that the Yeti is coming down at you. In essence, it would be the reverse direction of what Spiderman is doing, but same concept. Obviously I'm team "Fix the Yeti" but also wonder if there could be better solutions than Disco Yeti to give the illusion of movement.

Last edited:

Doug Means

I don't know how they could exactly do it, but in Spiderman in IOA they do an effect where scenery items drop rapidly to give you the feeling you're rapidly rising (though your car probably lifts you all of 12")

It would be cool to know if they could light up a portion of the cave wall behind the Yeti's arm and head and have it physically raise to give the quick impression that the Yeti is coming down at you. In essence, it would be the reverse direction of what Spiderman is doing, but same concept. Obviously I'm team "Fix the Yeti" but also wonder if there could be better solutions than Disco Yeti to give the illusion of movement.

i think this would be cool if they could figure it out, but come on they haven't cared enough to figure out fixing the yeti for this long. Or if they already know what they want to do but haven't moved on it yet...

i fell like someday they will fix it, but it maybe a while. It will be a big deal to them when they do. 50 year of the yeti, "return to its original form" party

TrojanUSC

This wouldn't really work unless the Yeti actually moved down or your vehicle moved up. In the example you posted, the video effect combined with the scenery moving down to create the illusion you are going up. There is nothing here to move down. Lighting only goes so far. You'd still just be staring at a Yeti who isn't getting much closer to you.

Better example of what you're trying to achieve is at Disneyland. At Indiana Jones Adventure the EMVs are largely incapable of moving backwards, so they designed an entire cave that moves forward as if to create the illusion you're going backwards. This happens as the giant boulder is tumbling towards you before you suddenly dive below it towards the unloading area.

These kinds of workarounds are fine but if they aren't willing to spend the money to just replace the Yeti or create a decent fix, the cost and investment in creating this type of an effect would likely rival or exceed what it would cost for a Yeti replacement (or at least enough of one to get the arm to swipe at you).

I'm probably in the minority but I thought the "A-Mode" Yeti was impressive but you go by so fast that it was an underwhelming use of the technology. It would have been a much better effect if you stopped for a second there before zooming past him or going backwards.

Trackmaster

I think that for the animations that you guys want, they might need 3-D glasses, and then use screens or projections to animate the Yeti. I don't see them getting all of that accomplished with just animatronics.

Bleed0range

I think that for the animations that you guys want, they might need 3-D glasses, and then use screens or projections to animate the Yeti. I don't see them getting all of that accomplished with just animatronics.

They’re not gonna do all that. They engineered this giant animatronic... they’ll fix it when they decide to take the ride down for refurb. But I’m not sure they’ll do it before the 50th. Because they would want everything operational during that time and they’re focusing on finishing all the new construction by then.

Incomudro

I'm going for the first time in Jan, guess I'll see for myself ;) all I hear is yeti this hairband that.

You'll love it, and if you've seen my post way back - the first time our family rode Everest - I didn't even know there was supposed to be a giant animatronic yeti in there
I knew there was something in there - but I figured it was about 8 feet high and I missed it.
I thought the screen yeti was the major yeti.
It was one of my sons that said we passed under the big yeti at the last drop.
I had to ride the ride again and look for him the second time.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
You'll love it, and if you've seen my post way back - the first time our family rode Everest - I didn't even know there was supposed to be a giant animatronic yeti in there
I knew there was something in there - but I figured it was about 8 feet high and I missed it.
I thought the screen yeti was the major yeti.
It was one of my sons that said we passed under the big yeti at the last drop.
I had to ride the ride again and look for him the second time.

Oh hahaha nice. I've seen videos of it years ago, and I kind of wish I didn't (had you asked me 3 years ago I would've told you that i'd probably never visit a state outside of my home ever again due to anxiety, so I watched videos to help fill the void).

Disco yeti is hard to see in the videos, and it's even harder to find one with yeti actually working, but I know where it is :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom