Expedition Everest effects status watch

beertiki

Yesterday, the yeti seemed much brighter than I remembered. I also do not remember seeing the busted track up top that is all lit up to. Anyone else notice a change?

MatthewWho13

I remember seeing the Yeti in A mode when I went on a CM preview at night after the park closed. First off the lighting at night made it something but thats besides the point. The sheer menacing size and how fast it moved and how close it looked littleraly frightened me in a way. You at that point understood the power of the Yeti, the story was built up from all the points in the queue... from the cultural references to the lore of the Yeti. Now its just like, woo great coaster but the Yeti just standing there frozen in time takes away the "Wow", and "Holy crap!!" factor of a "Finale"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yesterday, the yeti seemed much brighter than I remembered.

Well, he's starting to get his life back together. He's laying off the booze. He stopped blowing off seeing his children on his custody weekends. And his second job at the nursing home is giving him some perspective on life as well as being able to pay the back alimony and not being embarrassed to show his face to his ex and kids.

GCTales

Well, he's starting to get his life back together. He's laying off the booze. He stopped blowing off seeing his children on his custody weekends. And his second job at the nursing home is giving him some perspective on life as well as being able to pay the back alimony and not being embarrassed to show his face to his ex and kids.
Wait.... Baby yeti?!!

Disco yeti got busy!

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Wait.... Baby yeti?!!

Disco yeti got busy!
400122434569.jpg

Ralphlaw

The disco era was at the end of the 70s, otherwise known as the post-pill pre-Aids paradise. Not alot of restraint in the disco era. Yeah, this post might get deleted.

Damon7777

"""without a working yeti, the heart is missing. It's like The Lord of the Rings without Gandalf. Pirates of the Caribbean without Captain Jack. Star Wars without Darth Vader"""

I know what you're saying but I feel you might be understating this or perhaps your anology might not do justice. You see LOR is far bigger than Gandolf and Star Wars is much more than Vader. Those two are major characters in their respective series of course but they are among several other major ones. But I do sympathize with you and yes, the heart of EE is missing.

Unlike a Vader within the StarWars universe, the ENTIRE reason, the SOLE purpose, of Expedition Everest is Yeti and Yeti alone. We as guests are forewarned, via the elaborate queue, that if we venture up the mountain that we will meet the single star of the show.

On a personal note I find it difficult to justify acceptance of the inanimate Yeti figure. EE was a super ambitious project -a centerpiece to Animal Kingdom- perhaps in some respect as far as single attractions go the centerpiece to all of WDW in the 2000's. There is but one AA on the whole ride and it's broken. The attraction as of now has no payoff after a colossal build and/or 'promise'.

Last edited:

Damon7777

There is something else that disappoints me that should be addressed once the AA's stagnation gets fixed: the speed of the train and guest vantage point of Yeti AA.

The train passes by way too fast--- I can't fully appreciate the Yeti figure. The guest gets one chance to meet it and it's over in an eye blink.
1)Slow it down
2) add some strategic lighting to the set
3) disperse some foul smell and stench in the cave set
4) bring back its menacing arm swipe

Once these 4 come to pass our Yeti encounter will be the finest single moment of any attraction in all of the Disney universe of 12 parks.

Marc Davis Fan

There is something else that disappoints me that should be addressed once the AA's stagnation gets fixed: the speed of the train and guest vantage point of Yeti AA.

The train passes by way too fast--- I can't fully appreciate the Yeti figure. The guest gets one chance to meet it and it's over in an eye blink.

This is extremely important. There should be trim breaks after the block break at the entrance to the Yeti's cave, which slow the train down enough to allow most people to notice the Yeti (once it's fixed, obviously). Wind effects like on Space Mountain could be used to make it seem like the train is still moving fast.

bclane

This is extremely important. There should be trim breaks after the block break at the entrance to the Yeti's cave, which slow the train down enough to allow most people to notice the Yeti (once it's fixed, obviously). Wind effects like on Space Mountain could be used to make it seem like the train is still moving fast.
I would have loved it if they would have slowed you way down as you enter the Yeti's lair and then launch you past him for one final exciting escape. Never gonna happen as it's not a launched coaster, but that would have been better than blasting right by him. Still a great ride though.

Damon7777

Yes, yes indeed!!
We either need battle rap star "Conceited" to tell imagineers, "SLOW IT DOWN" or enlist 70's rock band Foghat to get it through designer's heads: "Slow Ride, Take it easy"

Anyway, yes, take it slow in Yeti's lair then pull a Tokyo Disney Sea's Journey to Center of Earth and blast away fast or even a Hong Kong Disneyland's Grizzly Gulch mine car train launch would suffice nicely. Yep never gonna happen.

Pete C

I don't know. I went on it the first year and with the original lighting there was enough time for the the Yeti to make an impact. Nobody didn't see the Yeti back then, and I think the brief encounter makes it scarier since you don't have as much time to analyze the AA. It's way different now with the strobe lighting.

Castle Cake Apologist

I don't know. I went on it the first year and with the original lighting there was enough time for the the Yeti to make an impact. Nobody didn't see the Yeti back then, and I think the brief encounter makes it scarier since you don't have as much time to analyze the AA. It's way different now with the strobe lighting.

This is the point I always try to make. It's usually very clear to me how many people have never seen it in A-mode.

When he was fully operational, there was absolutely NO WAY you missed him unless you had some type of full sensory deprivation. He was fully lit directly above and in front of you and his huge arm lunged directly over your head as he let out an ridiculously loud roar. It was very very impressive and scary and breathtaking when it worked.

danyoung56

...the ENTIRE reason, the SOLE purpose, of Expedition Everest is Yeti and Yeti alone...

Sorry, but this is just a silly statement. The yeti is an important part of the show, and of course I'd much rather have him working than not. But the SOLE purpose? There's a roller coaster that's pretty fun still working there, doing just fine without a working yeti.

Damon7777

Would you tell us that the pirates inside of "Pirates of the Caribbean" are not the sole purpose the attraction.....after all you get to ride indoors on a boat.

Ralphlaw

The yeti is not the sole purpose of the ride, but it is a shadow of itself without it. The preshow, the queue, the overall theming, and the climactic point of the ride itself is that huge animatronic that used to be absolutely amazing. Now, the theming is meh while the popularity of the ride derives from the "ride" experience of going inside the mountain, outside the mountain, backwards, etc . . . In my opinion, anyone who thinks the ride is still great is living under one of the following delusions:

A. They never rode it in A mode with a working yeti.
B. They forgot how great A mode was.
C. They have a tolerance for mediocrity.
D. They put zero importance into theming. OR
E. They care not for the whole idea of story-telling as part of the theme park experience.

Yeah, it's a jolly good ride as is, but it used to be great. The crime is that Disney allowed a truly inferior B mode to pollute the experience for so long. Indeed, my opinion of Disney as an organization deteriorates a tiny bit for everyday that something other than an appropriate fix is there. An organization that can allow a disco band aid to be the climax of its headline attraction is indeed an organization that has allowed a tolerance of mediocrity to set in. Disco yeti is fine for Six Flags, but it is a diseased symptom of the decline of a once great organization.

By the way, what is the current state of the latest B, C, or D mode?

danyoung56

In my opinion, anyone who thinks the ride is still great is living under one of the following delusions:

A. They never rode it in A mode with a working yeti.
B. They forgot how great A mode was.
C. They have a tolerance for mediocrity.
D. They put zero importance into theming. OR
E. They care not for the whole idea of story-telling as part of the theme park experience.

All of the above are simply not true, at least for me. I rode it several times in A mode - loved it. I have forgotten nothing - A mode is far superior. I do not have a tolerance for mediocrity, at least as far as Disney rides go. I think theming is very important. And I love the idea of story-telling as part of the theme park experience.

Look, I've said it before. Is the ride better with a working yeti? Of course. Do I still enjoy it without the working yeti? Of course. I wish Disney would get off of their bottoms and fix this. But I still ride EE at least 3 times every visit, and totally enjoy myself. I'm not going to let a high standard for perfection ruin what is a very fun roller coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom