Expedition Everest effects status watch

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Erm....not sure what the chances of that will be. I don't think they have scheduled any refurbs for it. I think we would have heard something by now. Um @marni1971? Do you happen to know if there are any updates on refurbs for EE?

(I apologize if this has already been mentioned or asked...I didn't want to go back through several hundred pages to find out. I am lazy.)

If I recall correctly it's going to be 2018 when they shut down. Read that a few pages back.

Nothing scheduled for the next few years at the moment.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I can't wait to see the Yeti (in whatever form that may be). I've wanted to ride EE since it's opening and am finally getting the chance next February.

But I am convinced it'll be down for refurb by then to fix the big man.

It's been mentioned quite a few times in this thread that EE doesn't need to go into refurbishment mode to fix the Yeti.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's been mentioned quite a few times in this thread that EE doesn't need to go into refurbishment mode to fix the Yeti.
Correct. About the only thing that going into a refurb would help would be paying for it. The cost of the repair could come out of an already allocated maintenance budget vs one or more departments having to pony up extra money to fix a mistake.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

Though it's not unheard of to think that Everest may finally go down for a proper/extended refurb now that Pandora is up and running... yes? I believe the ride hasn't gone down for a refurbishment since it opened (2006)... February of 2018 would seem like a "quieter" time to do such a refurbishment and Pandora would have been open for nine months so most of the initial hype would have waned. Unless they wanted to wait until 2019/2020 when some new capital opened elsewhere on property to further lower the impact. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it might not go down JUST to fix the yeti, but with each passing month, the chances of the ride closing for an extended period for a refurbishment seem to go up and I would think a refurbishment would need to be done before Magic Kingdom hits the 50th...

CanadianGordon

Though it's not unheard of to think that Everest may finally go down for a proper/extended refurb now that Pandora is up and running... yes? I believe the ride hasn't gone down for a refurbishment since it opened (2006)... February of 2018 would seem like a "quieter" time to do such a refurbishment and Pandora would have been open for nine months so most of the initial hype would have waned. Unless they wanted to wait until 2019/2020 when some new capital opened elsewhere on property to further lower the impact. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it might not go down JUST to fix the yeti, but with each passing month, the chances of the ride closing for an extended period for a refurbishment seem to go up and I would think a refurbishment would need to be done before Magic Kingdom hits the 50th...

My god has it really been that long? It's overdue!

PizzaPlanet

I rode Everest the other day, and it is now painfully obvious that the Yeti is not moving. It looked like the regular show lights were turned on instead of just the strobe light. Hopefully more guests will begin to notice and complain.

Castle Cake Apologist

Bird on the stick was working today around 1pm. I had not seen it the other 3 days we were in AK since June 24th.

Also, the Yeti lighting is much different than strobe b mode. It is a mix of strobe and regular show

Always nice to hear that the bird is making appearances. He came back for a little bit, but has been gone again for quite sometime if I'm not mistaken. A lot of people hate the effect, but I think it's cool. The type of bird that it's meant to be actually does glide like that.

Tom Morrow

IIRC the show lighting was on a few years ago too for a short time. I think, at the very least, they should make the show lighting flicker a bit, because the scene itself looks much better with show lighting, but also does make it more obvious that the yeti isn't moving.

Doug Means

Always nice to hear that the bird is making appearances. He came back for a little bit, but has been gone again for quite sometime if I'm not mistaken. A lot of people hate the effect, but I think it's cool. The type of bird that it's meant to be actually does glide like that.
where exactly is the bird on a stick?

Ralphlaw

Correct. About the only thing that going into a refurb would help would be paying for it. The cost of the repair could come out of an already allocated maintenance budget vs one or more departments having to pony up extra money to fix a mistake.

I can't imagine Walt would have let an embarrassment like this wallow around due to concerns about which budget pays who for what. Let's have a new pavilion at Epcot dedicated to bureaucracy alongside Imagination. Iger, Lasseter, Eisner, Rhode, Sklar, Walt and Roy would be so proud to see what these layers of finger-pointing have wrought. How warm and fuzzy.

Ralphlaw

Sure, it's been mentioned, but none of us really know what's true and what's not. Until they fix it, few of us can really know what the problem really is. I'd love to simply believe you, but I cannot know for sure it you're a perfectly competent source or not simply because I do not know you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom