Expedition Everest effects status watch

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I has been disclosed by our insiders here. The inner workings of the Yeti was unbalanced as it moved and jammed up one of it's important structural actuators. It can't be fixed with a replacement of a new arm or actuator because the unbalanced nature is still present. Plus, fixing it requires bringing it up to higher safety codes. It has nothing to do with the structural element of the mountain's frame.

The solution is a new Yeti. Which takes time and money. And different departments are at war over who has to fix it and whose budget will be used. If they ever do it, switching the old for the new would be easy and would not require any lengthy downtime for the ride.
Thanks for clearing some of that up. Pardon me for not paging through 161 pages of this thread, as I am new to the boards. How lengthy would you expect @MisterPenguin? Some on here say it can be done on 3rd shift (which I highly doubt)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks for clearing some of that up. Pardon me for not paging through 161 pages of this thread, as I am new to the boards. How lengthy would you expect @MisterPenguin? Some on here say it can be done on 3rd shift (which I highly doubt)

The switching could theoretically be done overnight. Maybe a few days for testing.

Building a new one so that you can make that switch? Months and months and months. After it gets started, which may be never.

Ralphlaw

Replacing the Quadro M6000 in my workstation...two thumb screws, one phillips head....time to do...15 minutes....cost $4700 for parts alone.

Exactly, so if you include the raising of the $4,700 into the total operation, you have something that is probably not "easy". First, diagnose the problem. Then, raise a bunch of money. Then, take 15 minutes to install this new component. Designing and building a new yeti is apparently very expensive, from what everyone seems to be saying. Raising that money is apparently not "easy" due to departmental squabbling, but that's just the first step. Once it is designed and completely built, many seem to say that it would be "easy" to install. I still think we would have a pretty lengthy shutdown even under that scenario.

Taking out the old one will likely take at least a day under the best of circumstances, and I can't imagine Disney would allow the ride to operate while that is going on. Then, installing a new machine that large will be fraught with potential problems. The moving parts will also have to be connected, which always takes more time than people would like. Testing a huge machine on a fast moving ride that thousands of people are around everyday will take lots of time beyond that.

An apt comparison would be when the two halves of the cruise ships are connected. It's delicate and careful work, but technically the two huge halves can be joined in one day. But then all the electrical, plumbing, ventilation, mechanical, and hydraulic components have to be connected and tested. That process assuredly takes a long time in the shipyard. Replacing the yeti is not like replacing a light bulb; it's more like connecting two halves of a ship. Things will assuredly go wrong. Unseen stuff and complex components will have to be connected by various trades people (plumbers, electricians, etc . . .). Testing will have to done under dozens of different temperatures and other variables. I would hazard to guess that EE would be down for at least a month. If everything went perfectly well, which is highly unlikely, I would hope that it could be done in a week. Again, one wrong move, and your $100,000,000 attraction is out for months. Remember what happened when Miller Park in Milwaukee had a crane collapse? Without excruciating care, that's what could go wrong with the yeti. Being that careful will assuredly take time, and they have to be that careful.

Meanwhile, if it was just a matter of money, Walt, Roy or Eisner would have had the authority to order it done. I think Iger has the authority and personality to force it, but taking down the attraction pre-Pandora would have been economically devastating to the park.

Edward M

I saw the new lighting scheme, and it is much worse than the strobe lightning. While it does show the sheer immensity of that Yeti (I was literally blown away by how big he was), it also shows just how immobile he is. I thought it looked like construction lights, but that is likely just false hope. I think Disney should find an A- mode. Move the head, turn on the eyes, and make it roar. Watching even its head move with the size of it, it would be effective and terrifying. Of course I want the full A mode, but it's just a pipe dream by now. They could do a massive and expensive refurbishment, but it's too risky and too expensive. Disney World is first and foremost a business. They have to wonder if an effect guests see for 3 seconds is worth thousands and thousands of dollars. It just doesn't make any financial sense. Plus, 99% of guests aren't planning or cancelling any trip because of the Yeti animatronic.

Yert3

Just got off EE two minutes ago and came here to see if he was illuminated by chance or if it's new lighting. Personally, I like it. I was very fortunate to see yeti in full A mode. It's great to see him lit up again, albeit motionless.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How many times....

I give up. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Believe what you want.
Maybe we should fess up and tell them that E:E has been shut down for over 6 years while the completely take the mountain apart to replace the yeti? What people outside the attraction see is just an elaborate hologram and those that "ride" the attraction just have a memory implanted once they make it to the last section of the queue.;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I say it will be a shutdown of at least a week. You say it won't.

Care to make it . . . interesting?
Saying an attraction will go down for more than a week for any refurb is as safe as saying the sun will rise in the east.

What we have been trying to say all along is if the just want to replace the yeti and absolutely nothing else, they could it it without shutting the attraction down.

The reality is, if they ever do it, it will most likely be a part of a bigger refurb where they fix multiple things that would span several weeks.

Fantasmicguy

Maybe we should fess up and tell them that E:E has been shut down for over 6 years while the completely take the mountain apart to replace the yeti? What people outside the attraction see is just an elaborate hologram and those that "ride" the attraction just have a memory implanted once they make it to the last section of the queue.;)
Lol I know this is a joke but why wouldn't they make the yeti move in the memory implant :hilarious:

bclane

IMG_9225.JPG
If they aren't gonna fix it, they should just go FULL Disco Yeti. Remove the Yeti corpse, install a giant disco ball, and have a cast members dress in a Yeti costume and dance to The Bee Gees all day. :hilarious:

danyoung56

The yeti is the centerpiece of the attraction, and it stopped working about a year after the attraction opened. The "bird on a stick" is a pretty lame effect that happens as your train gets all the way up to where it runs out of track. It was put in there to give you something to look at as the track was re-configuring for your backward run. But it's an effect that has been very sporadic over the life of the attraction. I understand it's back now, but it's been down before now for many years.

And now, you're up to date!

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes
The yeti is the centerpiece of the attraction, and it stopped working about a year after the attraction opened. The "bird on a stick" is a pretty lame effect that happens as your train gets all the way up to where it runs out of track. It was put in there to give you something to look at as the track was re-configuring for your backward run. But it's an effect that has been very sporadic over the life of the attraction. I understand it's back now, but it's been down before now for many years.

And now, you're up to date!

Hm, I think maybe the Yeti was working while we were there (September 2016) BUT I was also scared out of my wits because I hate rollercoasters, so it could have been Pee Wee Herman for all I know, lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom