News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

phillip9698

People should be no more concerned than they would be as if this were the standard Flu. Vulnerable people will be a concern, same as is there exposure to anything else. You can not compare the Chinese or Iranian or Korean or Italian healthcare system to The US healthcare system. Our capabilities are far more robust.

China put entire cities on lock down, they welded doors shut to living complexes so no one could leave. That would never take place in America. If that virus starts to spread here its going to be a serious issue.

Also in other countries the people don't have to worry about an outrageous bill from going to the doctor. There will be plenty of people in the US who get hit with this but will not seek medical care because they can't afford it. They will stay home or at work and spread it. People go to work sick because they don't want to use up their sick time or they don't have any.

Last edited:

celluloid

I know they stated they were following closely and remain open at this time, but with The Louvre and other facilities/venues not allowed to hold big crowds in France right now, I imagine within the next week or two we will see if DLP will close during any of this or not.

celluloid

I saw that after my post. Thanks for clarfying that. The other event centers and venues were mandated apparently. That being said, either Disney could get similar pressure if it gets that bad. I hope not.

DarkMetroid567

It’s starting to look like the American parks might be at just as much of a risk as DLP. Especially considering how testing is less frequent (and the response is worse) in the United States.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It’s starting to look like the American parks might be at just as much of a risk as DLP. Especially considering how testing is less frequent (and the response is worse) in the United States.

I'll take the US response and capability to deal with CV-19 over any other nation's response on the planet.

It also look like WDW may be at just as much risk for a hurricane and DLR just as much risk for an earthquake. I understand plans have been made for such scenarios.

DarkMetroid567

I'll take the US response and capability to deal with CV-19 over any other nation's response on the planet.

The capability will only be effective if we know what we're dealing with, though. The disease has already been mishandled with Diamond Princess and the low amount of testing being done leads me to believe there are far more cases in the United States than we think. Our death toll has already matched some individual European countries (who have been testing and aware of the disease for weeks)

durangojim

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the majority of states here in the US will have cases. The question is how quickly it will spread and how severe the cases will be. There is some data coming out showing that middle aged people (like me) are actually being infected more so than people 65 and older. The issue still is that the symptoms are so similar to what's out there already that it will be difficult for clinicians to diagnose accurately in community settings. Right now I have no way to test someone for the coronavirus in my office which is in an upper middle class suburb of Detroit. This week I'll be providing education to my staff so that they can appropriately triage patients but this will be a difficult time for all healthcare workers. I hope I'm wrong about the potential spread but I'm preparing for a large dissemination of the disease.

durangojim

This is the funniest thing I’ve read in probably the last month. The US governments approach to this right now is “la la la la la la I can’t hear you”
That's really not quite true. The problem is that this disease often doesn't show symptoms until the patient has already been contagious. It literally takes one person who has the virus without symptoms to go to a populated area and the virus will spread. In large countries it's difficult to quarantine citizens, especially when the concept of "freedom" is something that has been taught since they were children. We need to ramp up production of the testing kits/swabs but I don't really see this being contained no matter what the government's response would have been.

Lilofan

That's really not quite true. The problem is that this disease often doesn't show symptoms until the patient has already been contagious. It literally takes one person who has the virus without symptoms to go to a populated area and the virus will spread. In large countries it's difficult to quarantine citizens, especially when the concept of "freedom" is something that has been taught since they were children. We need to ramp up production of the testing kits/swabs but I don't really see this being contained no matter what the government's response would have been.
The question is where are the testing kits going to go? My guess is major cities. It would be a challenge for residents have to travel from rural areas to get tested.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom