News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

seascape

If someone was confirmed to have the virus in WDW tomorrow and it hit the news would the parks be closed down or would that person be dealt with individually? Assuming there is a plan in place in WDW and certain things trigger actionable responses.
My wife is concerned about the Coronavirus and if it were not for my confidence in our health care system, she probably would have canceled our April visit. She is already cancelling our Italy trip for 2021. Therefore, right now, I expect the US parks to actually gain visitors, as long as they keep the virus out of the parks because no one wants to go to Europe or Asia with all the Covid19 infections there. So even if Paris is closed, I actually think the US parks will not have major cuts in Entertainment, as long as the crowds keep coming.

UNCgolf

I don't really understand why individual people are so afraid of COVID-19. It's not especially dangerous; there are flu strains that are more deadly. It's different on a macro scale, because if millions of people are sick in a short period of time that will have a tremendous effect on the economy. But the vast majority of those people will be sick for a few days and then get better, the same as having a cold or the flu. Even the symptoms aren't especially severe.

UNCgolf

I think the real death rate is much higher. Like sars the %of deaths are a lot higher outside of country that control all info (China, Iran, NTH Korea)

I don't think that's true -- the current percentages in Italy and South Korea are actually lower than the reported numbers from China.

iowamomof4

I don't really understand why individual people are so afraid of COVID-19. It's not especially dangerous; there are flu strains that are more deadly. It's different on a macro scale, because if millions of people are sick in a short period of time that will have a tremendous effect on the economy. But the vast majority of those people will be sick for a few days and then get better, the same as having a cold or the flu. Even the symptoms aren't especially severe.

My fear is not the virus itself, but rather getting swept up into a quarantine situation where I am not allowed to go about my daily life as usual. I was telling dh today that I would NOT want to be getting on a cruise ship right now for exactly that reason. You could end up being held on the ship for days because one or two passengers came on board carrying the virus.

UNCgolf

My fear is not the virus itself, but rather getting swept up into a quarantine situation where I am not allowed to go about my daily life as usual. I was telling dh today that I would NOT want to be getting on a cruise ship right now for exactly that reason. You could end up being held on the ship for days because one or two passengers came on board carrying the virus.

I don't understand why anyone ever gets on cruise ships for any reason, but I get your point.

techgeek

I don't really understand why individual people are so afraid of COVID-19.

Personally I am not especially concerned with getting the virus myself, although the possibility that I may be a carrier at some point and infect older family members that would be specifically at high risk has given me pause.

As a resident of Central Florida and someone who's career and income is tied directly to travel, I am very very concerned about widespread and long-lasting instability in the travel market, especially business travel. It doesn't even matter if Orlando is directly impacted - if travel is discouraged or even restricted, it's game over in pretty short order for whole region. We can weather a week-long hurricane event... I have my doubts about something much more sustained.

Lilofan

Personally I am not especially concerned with getting the virus myself, although the possibility that I may be a carrier at some point and infect older family members that would be specifically at high risk has given me pause.

As a resident of Central Florida and someone who's career and income is tied directly to travel, I am very very concerned about widespread and long-lasting instability in the travel market, especially business travel. It doesn't even matter if Orlando is directly impacted - if travel is discouraged or even restricted, it's game over in pretty short order for whole region. We can weather a week-long hurricane event... I have my doubts about something much more sustained.
Agreed 100%. This would heavily impact Orlando like a cat 5 direct hit.

UNCgolf

Exactly. It can absolutely have a catastrophic impact on the world economy in multiple ways; I understand having serious apprehension about that. I just don't get people being scared of going about their life on an individual basis out of fear of catching it.

disneyflush

Exactly. It can absolutely have a catastrophic impact on the world economy in multiple ways; I understand having serious apprehension about that. I just don't get people being scared of going about their life on an individual basis out of fear of catching it.
I think a lot of consternation is coming from no one having a complete picture what it is and how to treat it (outside of time, quarantine, hand washing, etc.). Seeing anyone make assumptions off an incomplete picture can be pretty frustrating for people possibly overreacting and also people saying this isn't really a big deal.

I'm mainly wondering what the actionable plan is for WDW when the first case is reported there because its almost a guarantee it will at this rate. I know SARS didn't cause any closings (that I know of?) at the park but affected the visitor numbers a bit. If the plan is 'we will quarantine the guest' then so be it. Would just like to know. Shutting down the 2 parks so far in China for a month seems like the plan they are going with. Guess we can wait and see what happens in Paris shortly.

techgeek

I'm mainly wondering what the actionable plan is for WDW when the first case is reported there because its almost a guarantee it will at this rate. I know SARS didn't cause any closings (that I know of?) at the park but affected the visitor numbers a bit. If the plan is 'we will quarantine the guest' then so be it. Would just like to know. Shutting down the 2 parks so far in China for a month seems like the plan they are going with. Guess we can wait and see what happens in Paris shortly.

Shutting down the China parks was clearly something ordered by the government, and likely a decision made at the highest levels. I think it’s fair to say there’s a bit of anxiety here over who makes a call like that. The president? The CDC? Florida DoH? It’s hard to imagine WDW acting on their own. Even storm closures have not historically been a unilateral decision... there’s always considerable coordination between WDW / Universal / SEAS / MCO and local government.

I had bought plane tickets for Hong kong disneyland 10 months ago, made reservartions ect , had a private day of tours all paid and planeed and was suppose to go this Saturday through Wednesday but the tour company cancelled my tour, and disney is closed. So I am not going . Sucks though because the Airline I was using HONG KONG EXPRESS wont refund my money or reschedule the flight. Got my money back from everything else but the Hong Kong Express wont refund. I don think Ill ever go to Hong Kong now unless I get a free flight.

Squishy

I had bought plane tickets for Hong kong disneyland 10 months ago, made reservartions ect , had a private day of tours all paid and planeed and was suppose to go this Saturday through Wednesday but the tour company cancelled my tour, and disney is closed. So I am not going . Sucks though because the Airline I was using HONG KONG EXPRESS wont refund my money or reschedule the flight. Got my money back from everything else but the Hong Kong Express wont refund. I don think Ill ever go to Hong Kong now unless I get a free flight.
If you paid via credit card or debit you can usually dispute a charge based on your bank's policies.

Lilofan

So has Disney made cutbacks in Orlando because of this?
If the closures of the Asia parks continue, fear of the coronavirus and with what's going on with the world wide economy, restructuring of the company including layoffs would not be surprising especially with Chapek now in charge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom