News Expanded Lightning Lane entry process testing at Haunted Mansion

Fido Chuckwagon

About time. The chokepoints at the LL entries are a real problem. The decision by Disney to stop giving free magicbands and encourage people to use their phones to scan in has made it so much worse, along with the inherent complexity of the system that causes people to constantly get to the touchpoints and argue with castmembers when they are not, in fact, eligible to enter.

Kamikaze

I'm not sure what the actual solution on how to handle it is, but I think the real fix has more to do with positioning the touchpoints in such a way that when someone can't tap in and have to bother the CM for 5 minutes, other guests can still move around them and tap in on the other points.

I think it probably is to put up more stanchions - one lane per touchpoint - so people will move more single file, so the family of five that can't scan in is standing in one line instead of 5 wide blocking all 2 or 4 touchpoints.

CaptainAmerica

I'm not sure what the actual solution on how to handle it is, but I think the real fix has more to do with positioning the touchpoints in such a way that when someone can't tap in and have to bother the CM for 5 minutes, other guests can still move around them and tap in on the other points.
Part of the problem is when you try to do this, your party gets separated.

So if my party of 7 tries to go around some slow family by tapping the second touch point, then after 3 of my people click through the other "stuck" family gets unstuck, now I have a whole different family in between my own. And we usually have the kids click through first so then they're stranded up ahead of us and holding up traffic trying to get back.

CaptainAmerica

About time. The chokepoints at the LL entries are a real problem. The decision by Disney to stop giving free magicbands and encourage people to use their phones to scan in has made it so much worse, along with the inherent complexity of the system that causes people to constantly get to the touchpoints and argue with castmembers when they are not, in fact, eligible to enter.
100%

MagicMobile is trash, especially when one adult is trying to manage multiple tickets for their entire family. They don't need MagicBands but everyone should have to use their own RFID card at least.

Kamikaze

Part of the problem is when you try to do this, your party gets separated.

So if my party of 7 tries to go around some slow family by tapping the second touch point, then after 3 of my people click through the other "stuck" family gets unstuck, now I have a whole different family in between my own. And we usually have the kids click through first so then they're stranded up ahead of us and holding up traffic trying to get back.
Okay, but resolving why that family is blocking the entire entrance is the problem in your scenario too.

Kamikaze

100%

MagicMobile is trash, especially when one adult is trying to manage multiple tickets for their entire family. They don't need MagicBands but everyone should have to use their own RFID card at least.
It should be possible for the scanner to detect the multiple LLs on the device and say 'okay CM, let 4 people in' instead of the guest having to tap in 4 times. I can see them not wanting that for actual tickets and making each scan individually there, but on the rides they should be able to batch. The iPads show the CMs the guest info already, it should be able to say 'Steve - 4 valid LLs' without much back end work. The passes are all linked already in the user account.

dreday3

Most of the time it's because the other family are idiots, which I'm not sure is in Disney's power to fix.

Oh man. My husband, who has the patience of a saint, was put to the test by people just standing at the LL entrance. Mobs of them with the CM explaining you have to purchase it to use this line, or your time isn't for another hour, or you're at the wrong ride...

Honestly the same type of stuff used to happen with fast pass too.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have a solution...

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

RichVIII

And those people who are usually clogging the lane get indignant about people passing them (as if a family or two is going to make a difference while they block the lane). Agree with others. Free MBs made this simpler, watching people stumble with their phone slows everything down.

CaptainAmerica

It should be possible for the scanner to detect the multiple LLs on the device and say 'okay CM, let 4 people in' instead of the guest having to tap in 4 times. I can see them not wanting that for actual tickets and making each scan individually there, but on the rides they should be able to batch. The iPads show the CMs the guest info already, it should be able to say 'Steve - 4 valid LLs' without much back end work. The passes are all linked already in the user account.
That assumes the family will ride together.

If Steve and Joey are going to ride while Sarah and Suzie are going to pee, you can't burn all four LLs when Steve clicks in for just him and Joey.

Kamikaze

That assumes the family will ride together.

If Steve and Joey are going to ride while Sarah and Suzie are going to pee, you can't burn all four LLs when Steve clicks in for just him and Joey.
I mean, does this happen often? Managing for the exception is how you create problems.

Mikey73181

I just don’t get how covering the original touch points then opening up three mobile ones will resolve this?? Why not keep the original two open in addition to the three extras? Otherwise you are only readily adding one more.

Kamikaze

Not necessarily that exact scenario. But parties riding at different times and especially entering queues separately is a very common occurrence.
Sure. But I doubt there's many parties who have valid LLs at the same time but choose to ride at separate times (excluding rider swap).

Sandurz

For people who have their own device, I think most devices support a mode like iOS "express" mode which requires a tap with zero other interaction. But most people have no idea how stuff on their phone works outside of the camera and texting apps. Since they launched it I've been having no problem doing Apple Watch taps at every touchpoint without even thinking about it, but idk how to train people on that front any more than they already do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom