Ex-Disney accountant alleges major accounting fraud in parks and resorts division

Viget

Just realized there are some really massive ways they might be overstating revenue. One example is vacation packages. They might be charging to revenue the rack rate of the room at the time the guest is staying rather than the discounted rate that is implicit in the actual price paid for the package. I would think that would be too transparent and easy for an auditor to find, but who knows.

Something that is a little bit more subtle is the DDP. If you notice, they always give you a bill with the nominal prices of the items you order so that you can "tip appropriately". If they're using these receipts to charge to revenue, that would be a pretty big overstatement of what a DDP credit is worth, especially as folks on the DDP tend to purchase the most expensive items on the menu "to make it worth it".

Could even be compounded more by purchasing the DDP with a gift card, they book revenue against the gift card liability when you purchase the gift card and then again when you eat your meal. If the gift card was actually sold for a discounted price, e.g. $500 for say $400 (not sure they discount this much), that $400 can rapidly multiply in revenue. As an example $500 could get you roughly 7 nights of a standard DDP. Disney gets $71 per night from you for food. But they can book way more for revenue. If you had alcoholic beverages at both the QS and TS meal, that could be $26 right there, plus a $45 TS charge for food at say Ohana, and then another $15 for your entree at one of the QS. Oh and two snack credits at $5 per snack, so thats another $10. That's $96 of revenue they could book. The difference is $25. Times 7 is $175.

So $400 in actual revenue, now suddenly becomes $675, or a 69% increase. It's probably not as bad for kids, as their food prices aren't as jacked up, but then, they don't actually eat enough to justify the price in the first place, so even if the revenue can't be booked as high, the true costs to Disney are much, much lower. And then there's the picky tween who is just a killer for the company because he won't eat hardly anything (especially for buffets) but is paying a wildly inflated price and booking decent revenue. So very low cost compared to revenue booked (maximized profit margin).

Thus with overstated revenue, they can then overstate costs (cough...cough... WDI) to hide losses in other areas of the company that are not profitable.

Or they could launder money too.... someone said that might be a concern, but obviously we have no evidence of that.

Tay

Wasn’t 2008 or 2009 the year they were doing the free ticket if you did charity? Plus that was around a recession. I’m sure fraud was committed but I doubt billions. I say high 8-low 9 figures. Disney isn’t the first or last major corporation to cook the books. I doubt they’re stupid enough. They’re not that stupid to lie about billions.

Bairstow

It did, but an SEC investigation doesn't really mean anything. If they actually think they've found something wrong they'll bring a civil action in federal court (or to an ALJ). That would be HUGE news.
After the complaint was made public I can't imagine the Commission not doing at least a cursory investigation, even if they don't think there's any merit. They may even be required to do so by statute.

Piebald

Wasn’t 2008 or 2009 the year they were doing the free ticket if you did charity? Plus that was around a recession. I’m sure fraud was committed but I doubt billions. I say high 8-low 9 figures. Disney isn’t the first or last major corporation to cook the books. I doubt they’re stupid enough. They’re not that stupid to lie about billions.
I think that was the year they did the free ticket on your birthday.

Skibum1970

Just realized there are some really massive ways they might be overstating revenue. One example is vacation packages. They might be charging to revenue the rack rate of the room at the time the guest is staying rather than the discounted rate that is implicit in the actual price paid for the package. I would think that would be too transparent and easy for an auditor to find, but who knows.

The problem with this is that you're going to have a mismatch between the amount paid and the amount booked as income. So, the write-offs would grow exponentially and over time would negate any benefit. For Disney, it's probably easier to mess around with depreciation schedules and the dollar worth of IP's, along with using allocations to artificially inflate parts of the business. By doing so, they can inflate profits as needed with less scrutiny or need for explanation. Just a guess, though. There are a myriad of ways to commit devious types fraud if you get the right people involved.

Stellajack

Well, I really don't want to inflame any of these "conversations"; but, there are lots of opinions re this whistlebower "news". We could always wait it out and see where the truth is. At any rate, Mr. HmmmmmMMMmm, I'm definitely not a Disney shill, but I am a Disney shareholder.
I don't think I would be promoting myself as Michael Eisner if I were you (yes, I know it was tongue in cheek) since 43% of shareholders voted to essentially "retire" him in 2004. The reasons? Financial underperformance of the TWDC products, poor decisions re Pixar, et al. In addition, at the stockholders meeting, he insulted Roy Disney and Stanley Gold for their "passionate" plea to change direction. I believe his statement was "thanks Roy, thanks Stanley, that was a real joy." Why not stay on this forum and agree to disagree? Otherwise, take it out in the alley.

bartholomr4

Sounds like the former-Louisiana AG is initiating an investigation and there could be criminal charges against company executives.

The key words here is "Former" Louisiana Attorney General..... This is ambulance chasing at best..... Every time there is an issue with a company, lawyers in droves come out and announce investigations looking to represent a class action representing shareholders only to hold the company hostage, get a payout of which they take 30 percent.....

Lilofan

The key words here is "Former" Louisiana Attorney General..... This is ambulance chasing at best..... Every time there is an issue with a company, lawyers in droves come out and announce investigations looking to represent a class action representing shareholders only to hold the company hostage, get a payout of which they take 30 percent.....
Isn't being a lawyer in the private sector more lucrative than in the public sector? 💰💰

mikejs78

Premium Member
Sounds like the former-Louisiana AG is initiating an investigation and there could be criminal charges against company executives.
How does a fkrmer
Sure is.... Doesn't mean anything happened. Former Attorney General's can't file "Criminal Charges". They can file civil charges, and they have the burden of proof....
And in order to file even civil charges, they need to have standing.. Which I'm not sure they would have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom