Ever seen children misbehave with characters?

ToyStoryMiss

Original Poster
Hello Everybody! I haven't been doing much on here for a while. (I apologize, I've been very busy lately) So I have decided to make a thread because of past experiences, especially what happened on the last trip.

We've probably all have dealt with misbehaving children, but when they are with characters..

We were at the Crystal Palace on our first day, and there was a boy around..8? And he was outside. (We got a seat next to the windows) He was at the emergency door. And he tried to pull it open. A cast member who was cleaning the tables gave him the look that said, "STOP". And he backed away.
He waited until the cast member left, and then did it again! His parents were doing other things, and soon the mother told him to stop, and he refused. So the mother pulled him away, and he didn't go back over to it again.

Now, it just so happens that specific family has to sit RIGHT NEXT TO US. We were already aggravated because of the screaming children that were previously there.

So, they get their food and the boy refuses to eat it. The kids brother, meanwhile, is chomping away to his food. After a while, characters come around.
He misbehaved a little with Pooh and Piglet, and he pulled Tigger's tail. But when Eeyore came, he got a picture, autograph..then he did the unforgivable;
He punched Eeyore in the eye!
The father gave him the look of death, while his mother apologized and told the boy to apologize to Eeyore, which he did.
I felt so bad! :( Poor Eeyore..I made sure I gave him an extra hug and a big kiss on the nose!

So, have you experienced anything similar? Please tell! :happy:

StarWarsGirl

Well, I rarely see the characters anymore, but misbehaving children is far too common in WDW. Too many instances to even recall specific ones that have stuck with me.

Actually, misbehaving children is too common in general now. Now I know some great parents who have standards for their children and consequences for if the children don't follow them. But there's no way my parents would have let me get away with some of the stuff kids say to their parents, and I was about 13 before I gave my parents the sass some five year olds give their parents.

Anyway, poor Eeyore is always the victim...

ToyStoryMiss

Original Poster
Misbehaving children IS too common now. As I said before, there was a family that was there before the boy's family, they were worse than the him!
The parents were okay (the mom was eh, the father was strict-ish), but the kids were a WHOLE different story.

The kids were, of course, young. The oldest may have been 6 or 7, the younger about 3 or 4. They were the most misbehaved children I have ever seen! They were doing things their parents told them not to do, and they were screaming their lungs off! The parents were telling them to stop, but they refused. I think they met Tigger while we were there, and they were still fussing around. *sigh* We were so glad when they left, and so were our ears.

Meanwhile, during the whole thing, the father was chewing on a straw. He took it out of the wrapper, and just went *nom nom nom :hungry:"
And ever so slowly, it kept disappearing. It took him about..15 minutes to eat the whole thing. HE ATE THE STRAW. :confused:

There have been plenty other incidents of misbehaving children. We were standing in line to meet Aladdin and Jasmine in Morocco, and a 6 year old girl was crying and crying and whining and CRYING. My ears were bleeding by the time she left. :grumpy:

Matt_Black

I haven't seen any misbehaving children. The closest is something that happened in PFH- I was next in line to see Cinderella. As the attending cast member was about to wave me forward, the young son (I'm estimating about 7-9 years old) of the family behind me ran forward, possibly thinking the cast member was speaking to him. The cast member tried to explain to him that I was next, but I waved her off and let the family go first. The lad was just so enthusiastic about meeting Cinderella that I just didn't have the heart to make him wait one second longer.

luv

Saw a boy who had to be 5 or 6 years old getting out of his stroller. His mom was telling him to stay in it, then she told him to get back in, so he screamed, "No!" and punched her.

Punched his mother. Pulled a fist back, swung and hit her as hard as he could. Didn't even looked scared when he was done. Looked like he was ready for more. Like, "Now you see! I'll hit you again if you dont stop!". The kid was furious, but not out of control.

I can see a kid as big as he was not wanting to be in a stroller and perhaps refusing to get in. But punching your MOTHER?!

Then she began to plead with him and explain why he should get in. I was walking by and didn't see the end of that, but I assume he got his mother to do what she was told.

You have to wonder what the future holds for some of these kids.

FettFan

Never witnessed any misbehavior in person....however I do remember in the heyday of "America's Funniest Home Videos" (in the olden, golden, pre-YouTube days) where some kid ran up and stomped on Pinocchio's foot.

ToyStoryMiss

Original Poster
Saw a boy who had to be 5 or 6 years old getting out of his stroller. His mom was telling him to stay in it, then she told him to get back in, so he screamed, "No!" and punched her.

Punched his mother. Pulled a fist back, swung and hit her as hard as he could. Didn't even looked scared when he was done. Looked like he was ready for more. Like, "Now you see! I'll hit you again if you dont stop!". The kid was furious, but not out of control.

I can see a kid as big as he was not wanting to be in a stroller and perhaps refusing to get in. But punching your MOTHER?!

Then she began to plead with him and explain why he should get in. I was walking by and didn't see the end of that, but I assume he got his mother to do what she was told.

That is the same thing the little boy in CP did! After he punched Eeyore, she scolded him after Eeyore left. He must've had enough, so he punched her! At first in the stomach, then the arm, breast, etc. His father was like, "Don't. Ever. Do. That. AGAIN." and the kid stopped after that.
Some kids (and people), though...*shakes head* :grumpy:

Megalodumb

Was it Richie Incognito's son?

SMS55

Well one of my man child friends on a trip we did like 13 years ago did. We were a group of 6. It was 3 couples so as we get up to Minnie, he says "i get Minnie from behind." Of course all the cast members including the one dressed up as Mickie break out laughing.

eeyore0829

I have never worked for Disney, but I worked at a children's museum where they had the Berenstain Bears. I was Mama Bear. I think it was common to have kids hit me, put their hands in my mouth, grab my nose, etc. I was pretty well padded so it never hurt me. I found it was much worse when adults acted this way. I even had a father who wanted me to talk tell his children this is what happen to them if they do not go to college. I also had a mother insist we take her child backstage, remove my head, and show them there was a human inside. We refused to that.

rt06

Not a character, but a CM.

At the Jambo House pool, a CM sets up a hoop and throws a few basketballs (more like dodge balls) in the pool. He also has the job of retrieving errant shots, which is often. One preteen kid turns to his buddies and says, "Watch this," then throws a basketball and hits the CM's legs when he isn't looking. The CM stopped and turned around with an "are you kidding me?" look.

jw24

With my own two physical eyes, I usually don't pay attention to how other people interact with characters because I am solely focused on what I'm going to do, what I'm going to say, etc.

But seeing all the posts, well, I'm not really too surprised. There are just some people who don't "believe in the magic" so to speak and want to purposely ruin it for their own selfish and vile reasons. And it's not really one particular group or people. Anyone can be a prick to a character. Young kids, teens, even grown men can act extremely inappropriate when meeting characters. I've seen and heard about it online. I remember a news reports about teens trying to "mess around" with the White Rabbit in Disneyland in CA earlier this year. (It actually pushed the character to a point where he broke character and broke the taboo rules of character integrity.) I also watched "Confession from a Retired Disney Princess Part 2" on YouTube the other day and heard about one story where one of the former CMs was playing Pocahontas and was actually called a "savage" by a park guest which I can only imagine caused her blood to boil.

I think everyone has already said the need for parents to be better enforcers of rules at not just the Disney parks, but everywhere. Parents need to realize that they are in the public sphere so people are watching and it makes you look bad if you don't do your job as parents. I don't know really what else to say because I'm not a parent myself. All I can say is you've got the have the mindset of being firm in your authority and make it clear what's proper and what isn't but be fair and show the love in your children, as well.

One thing is for certain, reading and hearing about these not so nice experiences the characters experience show that they are human and they have a very difficult job. It's not easy to get up very early in the morning, take a good amount of time to get ready and then, place yourself out there in the Disney parks under the hot Florida or California sun meeting and greeting guests for long periods of time. They get breaks granted but it's still not an easy job! It's a rigorous audition process and not that many get the opportunity to be a Disney character to begin with! So people need to be grateful and thankful about the job they are doing. Even a simple, "Thank you for your time" does wonders for the characters. It means that you were willing to take the time out of your day at WDW to interact with these characters and you really appreciate them for making it special. Bottom line is, the way I see it, if you're nice to them, they should be nice to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom