Ever had a Character Refuse to .......

Plutoboy

Original Poster
Just curious if anyone here has ever had a character refuse to sign an autograph (with the exception of those who legitimately cannot because of costume design) or take pictures.

I just returned from DL and had an awesome time with the following exception. We saw Belle and Aurora walk out from backstage and followed them to their set location as we got there both "princesses" told everyone that they did not have time for autographs but rather a quick story. The story lasted about 5 minutes and the Princesses got up and walked off set.

Now I was a "friend" of the characters for 10 years at WDW so I know what is policy and what is not policy. YOU NEVER TURN DOWN SIGNING AN AUTOGRAPH IN YOUR SET LOCATION!!! We certainly did not let this ruin our trip but just curious if it has ever happened to someone else.

MissM

Well I know there are strict rules to how long they can be on set for any amount of time. I've been in line before and they tell you the character will be back in 5 minutes and to stay in line. When they reach the cut-off, they stop you pointblank. I've also had them close the line and not allow anyone else in line. Most likely the set was done and they weren't coming back.

They have to have a cut-off somewhere.
-m

Chape19714

DL has a different policy then WDW on charactors, but there are times when Autographs are not promitted. Like The new Little Ones Extra Magic Hour in Fantaslyland, which is loaded with charactors. The characters are not allowed to sign autographs to prevent lines from forming. They are allowed for pictures and interaction.

The Mom

Premium Member
It sounds as if what you saw wasn't a true "Meet and Greet" but was a storytime. They were there to read the story, and that's all.

steviej

one time at that farm restaurant in the land, chip and dale refused to take a picture together with me. But i could see why. cause if they did it with me, then everyone would want a picture with the two of them together.

mechurchlady

They very clearly stated they were only there to read a story. If they had said that they would try to do autographs then that is different. The warned you ahead of time that is was a quick hi kids, a story, bye kids.

Now I was a "friend" of the characters for 10 years at WDW so I know what is policy and what is not policy. YOU NEVER TURN DOWN SIGNING AN AUTOGRAPH IN YOUR SET LOCATION!!!

If that was the policy then they would not be allowed to leave the Set Location until the park closed. They are allowed to make up the rules based on weather, crowds, management rules, and their health. I got to tell the people at stupid guest tricks.com about what you just said, lol.

You were told ahead of time and should not have expected and autograph.

Except for closing time, I never ever been turned down for an autograph. I even took the hand of a couple character and drew an outline on the paper which they let me do, lol.

abug'saunt

In 2004, my sister paid for her daughter (4), our mom, my brother, his wife, their 3 kids (aged 4, 2, and 4 mos.), my husband and I to go to Disneyland. We were walking thru the castle towards fantasyland and a cast member stopped us to ask if the kids wanted to hear Belle tell a story. My sister's little girl loved Belle at the time and so we went to a store by the castle where there was a little area set up for the story. As it happened, we got there early and the 3 older kids got to hug Belle and get her autograph. Belle spent about 2 or three minutes listening to the 3 of them try and talk to her. She was very gracious and kind. Then it was story time and after the story was over, we got our kids out of the way so other kids could get pics and autographs. Belle didn't spend as much time with the other kids because after we finally got the kids into their strollers, she walked passed and waved to all of us. I am so sorry that you were unable to get your autographs.

arielbabe

in 2004 in wdw snow white and the 7 dwarfs were posing for photos at the fantasyland side of the castle and the cast members were stopping lots of children from getting autographs and they were quing nicely(no pushing ect)
the characters were only able to pose for photos for 10 mins

raven

The Cast Members and characters at DL are very different from the ones at WDW. I noticed a HUGE difference when I went to DL last February after going to WDW for years. They are not as friendly at DL and always seem to have this attitude about them like "I'm a Disney CM and you're not." It was very disapointing.

awalkinthepark

Timon flat out refused my mother....she waited in line with everyone else.....and he walked around her...waving his hands in front of her book(as if saying get that away from me) and took the next person in line.....it wasn't meant to be funny....it came across as rude. I realize that my mom was 40 something at the time...but living near the parks she got to be everyone's park buddy when they came for visits she was looking for something 'different' to do in the parks while everyone else rode the rides....if I had not been there to witness Timon being rude I would have thought my mother was over acting to some play acting...but Timon flat out refuse to sign her book or pose for a picture...at least the villian characters come around and sign and pose after giving you some grief...to this day my mom still won't even go near the Timon character.

Tramp

It sounds as if what you saw wasn't a true "Meet and Greet" but was a storytime. They were there to read the story, and that's all.

Exactly, Marcia...and if they signed one autograph, others would have wanted one too along with photos. It would have turned into a 'meet and greet' and that wouldn't have been fair to the characters who may have had other assignments to which to attend.

I think it's very, very rare to run into a character that refuses to sign without a good reason....and that reason may not be obvious to those refused.

Ariellen

Once we ate at Liberty Tree and Goofy wouldn't sign my brother's book...but I think it's because my brother had opened his book to where Goofy had signed during a past meet and greet. Goofy seemed to not understand that this was an autograph from another day (my brother was very little and so he could have been tough to understand at the time) and thought he'd already signed. But hey, that's why he's a little Goofy. Goofy is still one of our favorites. :)

Tramp

Once we ate at Liberty Tree and Goofy wouldn't sign my brother's book...but I think it's because my brother had opened his book to where Goofy had signed during a past meet and greet. Goofy seemed to not understand that this was an autograph from another day (my brother was very little and so he could have been tough to understand at the time) and thought he'd already signed. But hey, that's why he's a little Goofy. Goofy is still one of our favorites. :)

I may be wrong but I believe the logic behind this is that two different Goofys might sign in different ways and raise questions from the youngster.

farmgirl

My husband and I were at Chef Mickeys and Donald refused to take a picture with us he just shook his head no and walked away...I still am not sure why.

Mecha Figment

My husband and I were at Chef Mickeys and Donald refused to take a picture with us he just shook his head no and walked away...I still am not sure why.

where any of you wearing anything with mickey on it? Donald will not sign with a mickey pen, or pose with anything mickey. It's sort of a running gag with characters that some people don't really get.

another example of this is the unspoken notion that Genie has the hots for Tink and he gets shy or embarased when he see's tink merchandise. I personaly never got this, buts it's been a long running gag.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
where any of you wearing anything with mickey on it? Donald will not sign with a mickey pen, or pose with anything mickey. It's sort of a running gag with characters that some people don't really get.

However, it upsets guests when they refuse. I've known of CM's who have gotten reprimanded for participating in this practice... and guests who go to guest relations with these complaints.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom