Evaluating Seuss Land?

Weather_Lady

I know this case is a little different. In general people throw around "cancel culture" while simultaneously refusing to acknowledge the bad things that were said or depicted because it doesn't affect them personally. I also don't see it as damage control. There was no uproar over these books, and It's not like there's hate speech in them. Just little things like, "hmm, maybe we could do without this." Did anyone even ask the publisher or Seuss estate to do this? It seems that they decided to do it on their own. edited for incorrect vocabulary

According to the news, it was the Seuss estate that decided to stop publishing a few select titles, or giving out the rights to do something with them. There was, as you say, no uproar that brought it about -- it was just their own decision to stop promoting a few specific books (a miniscule fraction of the dozens of books Dr. Seuss wrote and illustrated) that they recognized contained racially insensitive caricatures. Even though publishers and libraries have been pulling books for similar reasons for decades now, the media picked up on this particular move, the extreme right branded it as "shameful cancel culture" and something to shout about, and now we're off to the races.

To borrow a Seussian phrase, I hope this media-driven Butter Battle dies down quickly. Whether people are seeking to end racial injustice or cancel culture or both, this particular episode isn't a worthy enough example of either one for them to waste their time on.

erasure fan1

Probably because the illustrations were done by Geisel and are considered an integral part of the work. They are not just a supplement drawn by someone else.
True, but it would be an easy fix and a much better way of going about it. Heck if they've been evaluating this as long as they have said they were. You could have fixed the problems, put the updated versions in rotation, and no one really loses. All this did was create a poop storm that didn't need to be.

JT3000

True, but it would be an easy fix and a much better way of going about it. Heck if they've been evaluating this as long as they have said they were. You could have fixed the problems, put the updated versions in rotation, and no one really loses. All this did was create a poop storm that didn't need to be.
Some of the problematic illustrations are based on the text itself. You can't alter the text without basically re-authoring the book.

ifiranthezoo-640x400.jpg

Tom Morrow

There is no argument to be made to keep selling that book other than "I want to continue making racial slurs without repercussions."

Note that ceasing selling it is not the same as erasing it from history.

And why does anyone care, anyway? Who is devastated by losing "If I Ran the Zoo"? It's not like they're removing the Grinch or Cat in the Hat.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Some of the problematic illustrations are based on the text itself. You can't alter the text without basically re-authoring the book.

ifiranthezoo-640x400.jpg
I get that. But would that really be that hard?
"With helpers who never say that they can't"
Bam! Done, in less than 5 seconds. Of course it's not that great but I'm sure there is someone who could do a better job.

And why does anyone care, anyway? Who is devastated by losing "If I Ran the Zoo"? It's not like they're removing the Grinch or Cat in the Hat.
Personally I don't think too many people are outraged. But it just seems a bit strange to not just make the adjustments. That seems to be the sentiment from the people in and around my circle anyway. And if they had done that, absolutely almost no one would have cared.

Tom Morrow

I get that. But would that really be that hard?
"With helpers who never say that they can't"
Bam! Done, in less than 5 seconds. Of course it's not that great but I'm sure there is someone who could do a better job.

Personally I don't think too many people are outraged. But it just seems a bit strange to not just make the adjustments. That seems to be the sentiment from the people in and around my circle anyway. And if they had done that, absolutely almost no one would have cared.

That has not been my experience at all. No one was outraged over these books, but plenty are "outraged" over their removal. The thing is, these same people suggest altering the works instead of removing them, but then when companies, such as Disney do that, they still are "outraged" and blow up over it.

They're just looking for a reason to rage out at "the snowflakes" when their rage has no basis in reality.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
On the dumb scale no longer selling the books is kind of low but if it snowballs and affects an entire land in Universal then it might enter Splash Mountain territory of stupidity. Exciting times.

Tom Morrow

On the dumb scale no longer selling the books is kind of low but if it snowballs and affects an entire land in Universal then it might enter Splash Mountain territory of stupidity. Exciting times.

At most it would mean retheming "If I Ran the Zoo" (big deal, it's like a mall playground), and removing a small handful of props and signs.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about this, so to reiterate: 6 books are not being banned, they are being discontinued from publication. They are 6 books that are not iconic Seuss books and were largely forgotten from the public consciousness already.

erasure fan1

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about this, so to reiterate: 6 books are not being banned, they are being discontinued from publication. They are 6 books that are not iconic Seuss books and were largely forgotten from the public consciousness already.
But they are being banned in a way. Because they are being no longer published, that is leading to some libraries taking them off shelves. Effectively banning them. And yes they are really not what you would call heavy hitters in the Suess catalog. But the reason people are outraged as you say, is because they worry this is the starting point and more might come of this. It really isn't hard to believe that all Dr Seuss could become a target now.
A school district in Virginia is changing up its National Read Across America Day celebration by no longer associating the event with Dr. Seuss. The change comes amid allegations of racial undertones in the popular children’s books.

That is why if they would have just changed a few images and tweaked some lines from the stories, this doesn't blow up like it has. Sure some people would still be angry but the overall reaction would be much less in my opinion.

OG Runner

All they would really have to do in in the near future is remove a "street sign" that says Mulberry and retheme a few things in the store as well as the If I ran a Zoo play area. Probably not a huge fix and it would allow them to introduce some new characters and bring new offerings to the area.

The fact is they really shouldn't have to, just because some bunch has gone back and decided they should for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom