Evaluating Seuss Land?

trr1

Universal Studios has been kicking some Disney butt with their decisions of late, but this would be a setback.
Seuss Land is the same as it has been for many many years.
from the article you linked
"Universal has began to re-evaluate its Seuss Landing area of its Islands of Adventure park. According to Spectrum News 13, Universal Orlando provided the statement that “Seuss Landing continues to be very popular with our guests and we value our relationship with Seuss Enterprises. We’ve removed the books from our shelves as they have asked and we’ll be evaluating our in-park experience too. But our guests can plan on continuing to be able to enjoy their favorite experiences at Seuss Landing.”

NiarrNDisney

All they would really have to do in in the near future is remove a "street sign" that says Mulberry and retheme a few things in the store as well as the If I ran a Zoo play area. Probably not a huge fix and it would allow them to introduce some new characters and bring new offerings to the area.

Animaniac93-98

All they would really have to do in in the near future is remove a "street sign" that says Mulberry and retheme a few things in the store as well as the If I ran a Zoo play area. Probably not a huge fix and it would allow them to introduce some new characters and bring new offerings to the area.

Is the word "Mulberry" in and of itself offensive? Does the play area depict any of the stereotypes?

I wouldn't be surprised if they just left it as is.

Animaniac93-98

*consequence culture

The man's been dead for decades and his estate will continue to profit off his work. Not much consequence when most of these are not the biggest titles in the catalog. Not much of a sacrifice for schools or parents either.

This is corporate damage control after so many years of publishing these books (as if only in 2020 did these depictions become offensive).

Don't fall for the idea that they really care.

Tom Morrow

The man's been dead for decades and his estate will continue to profit off his work. Not much consequence when most of these are not the biggest titles in the catalog. Not much of a sacrifice for schools or parents either.

This is corporate damage control after so many years of publishing these books (as if only in 2020 did these depictions become offensive).

Don't fall for the idea that they really care.

I know this case is a little different. In general people throw around "cancel culture" while simultaneously refusing to acknowledge the bad things that were said or depicted because it doesn't affect them personally. I also don't see it as damage control. There was no uproar over these books, and It's not like there's hate speech in them. Just little things like, "hmm, maybe we could do without this." Did anyone even ask the publisher or Seuss estate to do this? It seems that they decided to do it on their own. edited for incorrect vocabulary

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Don't be surprised if within the next 10 years all 6 books get re-released in an expensive limited edition titled something like The Lost Works of Dr Seuss hyping the fact that the books have been out of circulation and with additional commentary/notes.
I mean, yeah, I can get behind this theory. It very well could be a big publicity stunt. But it wasn't initiated because of "cancel culture".

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I know this case is a little different. In general people throw around "cancel culture" while simultaneously refusing to acknowledge the bad things that were said or depicted because it doesn't affect them personally. I also don't see it as damage control. There was no uproar over these books, and It's not like there's hate speech in them. Just little things like, "hmm, maybe we could do without this." Did anyone even ask the publisher or Seuss estate to do this? It seems that they decided to do it under their own coalition.

The vocal minority will ALWAYS have something to be outraged over. Always.

Sharon&Susan

I can't see Mulberry Street gone for long just for the sake of being the book that established Dr. Seuss as a children's author.

Either with commentary or the Chinese depictions to be removed or altered.

JT3000

The vocal minority will ALWAYS have something to be outraged over. Always.
Probably. But last I heard the vocal minority had convinced themselves they were a "silent majority."

Whoopsie.

Seuss's estate can do whatever it wants. You may disagree with their decision, but it's their decision to make. They weren't "cancelled" or forced into it. The same will apply to Universal. Whatever changes they could potentially make to Seuss Landing, it will be of their own volition. Personally I wouldn't expect anything major (but depending on the reaction, this might call into question the chances of us ever getting that Grinch ride that should've been there the entire time.)

Last edited:

seascape

Hopefully Universal will not give into the WOKE folks who are demanding the removal. If they do the next thing will be to remove anything developed from JKR. Times change, people change. The diversity training I had when I worked was that we all need to know and understand our differences and views and learn to accept them and respect them. However, that should also mean to learn the language and art used in the past and the people and society that created them. Words that were acceptable in the past should not be used today but the fact that they were in the past should be understood based on the time they were used and put in proper context. If we continue to insist on eliminating things from the past the name NAACP must be eliminated because it stands for colored people and that term is unacceptable today. Learn from the past and not eliminate it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom