Evacuating MK in event of emergency

tonypitt

Original Poster
My SIL is a seasonal cast member right now working at WWoS. She's been able to pick up some shifts at various other parks over the past few weeks and has done a lot of training. One training that she's heard of but has not had deals with how the parks would be evacuated in the event of an emergency.

She mentioned that based on what she did know that there were different levels of evacuation. Some involved simply suggesting that people leave whereas other had people evacuate the park any way possible, including use of the underpark or backstage areas.

My wife and I were talking about how this might work at MK. With most of the other parks you could walk out the gate and potentially walk (or run!!!) back to your car. At MK, of course, leaving the park is only "part 1"--you still have to take the monorail or ferry back to the main parking area.

I figured that if pressed into optimum service those modes of transportation could move a lot of people in a short period of time. Does anyone know more that they could share about how this might work? Anyone know theoretically how many people Disney could move like that in a short period of time?

Pongo

They also have the buses right outside the entrance. I'm sure they have some sort of emergency bus plan for buses to take guests to various different places.

Also, WDW has the 5th (or some small number like that) largest naval fleet in the world. I'm sure they could scrounge up a few extra boats to take people to the TTC.

EpcotGrl

As I recall, they open several backstage exits and take guests through there in the event of an emergency...on the back side of MK it's parking lots, so no problem :)

Tom

Beta Return
My cousins were at BLizzard Beach on 9/11. They simply made a PA announcement that "Walt DIsney World is now closed - please exit the park at this time". I think pretty much the same thing happened in all the other parks, and that they just used the normal transportation modes, as if the park was closing in the evening. I guess they might do something more drastic if a natural disaster or something else severe happened in that area.

brkgnews

There are, as you might imagine, some pretty elaborate evacuation plans. I'm not a CM -- I don't know every detail of the plans -- and even if I did, I would not share them for obvious reasons.
That being said, at basically every door that leads to MK's backstage areas there is a sign (out of guest view) marking that doorway/gate as an exit point for "Plan A," "Plan B," or "Plan C." Each marks a different extent/urgency of the evacuation. For example, I'm sure they know to use plan A for this scenario, plan B for that scenario, and plan C for another scenario. I'm sure the one that applies for a tornado on the ground would lead to the Utilidors, while the route that would be used for an incoming jet would lead to immediate evacuation to other areas.

As far as transportation, keep in mind that for many emergencies (IE, a fire), they might have to clear out just one or two lands. If they did have to clear the entire park, the main thing would be emptying the park. Unless it was a severe-weather-related incident, they might have plenty of extra time to get folks out of the general area, once they were out of the park itself. Keep in mind, even though at MK you have to take a monorail or ferry to get in, there are PLENTY of backstage roads that are CM only, but would likely be used for EVAC purposes.

KnK

I was in the MK during 9/11. They came over the load speakers and told us that the park was closing. At the time we were near the Teacups. We slowly made our way out of the park. At that time we did not know what had happend. We happen to be listening to the person next to us on their cell phone chatting about some sort of plane crash. There were plenty of boats and busses waiting for people.

We were staying at Wilderness Lodge at the time and got right on a boat to take us back.

We had also been at the parks in 9/99 when they closed the parks due to weather. That was more of a delayed closure.

tk421-sw

brkgnews said:
marking that doorway/gate as an exit point for "Plan A," "Plan B," or "Plan C." Each marks a different extent/urgency of the evacuation. .

Yeah, I think when Spectro was going on main street, they opend up on of these, its said Plan B to get from mainsreet to the terrace noddle station exit during high volume. It worked well but was very...backstagey! Well anyway I joked later that that was plan b, but it did have a sign on the back that said plan b, it was funny, the pics were in thimblekisses last pic update.

Yodasnuggs

I was at the MK one time a few yeras back with my family, and we had to leave due to severe thunderstorms in the area. I can't recall if it was a mandatory evacuation sort of thing, or if it was just suggested that we leave. At any rate, most, if not all people, did decide to leave, most via bus back to their resorts. We were staying at an All Star, and figured we'd have to wait ages for a bus. Low and behold, these HUGE buses started showing up, something I have never seen any other time at Disney. My father refered to them as "cattle cars", I don't recall if they even had seats or not. After a few bus loads, everyone was gone from the line. Now I don't know exact numbers, but if you figure that MOST of the park emptied, and that more people probably stay at All Stars more than anywhere else, the fact that they were able to get all of those people out via bus so quickly was very impressive. Of course, if you have parked at the MK that day, you might have just been out of luck. :)

SpenceMan01

My parents were at AK on 9/11. There wasn't any announcement about the park closing and guests having to leave. They left about noon to park hop and overheard people at the gate asking "What do you mean the park is closed?". None of the cast members were saying anything about the WTC or planes or anything. They went to guest relations to inquire about a ticket problem they were having. When they got the problem resolved, they asked the CM why the park was closed now. She replied "Haven't you heard? Terrorists flew planes into the WTC". Since they had only been in the park a couple hours, she refunded their admission and their parking, and they went back to the hotel and watched the news.

My parents weren't shoo'ed out, but I think just after they left they saw people being shoo'ed out, but that was several hours after the actual attack.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
i think plan b is actual backstage usage and plan c is utilitors (sp)
Utilitors are used in case of extreme emergency (ie. bomb or threat actually in the park, because they are certified bomb shelters) dont quote me though that is what I heard on the Keys to the Kingdom tour

peter11435

warlord said:
i think plan b is actual backstage usage and plan c is utilitors (sp)
Utilitors are used in case of extreme emergency (ie. bomb or threat actually in the park, because they are certified bomb shelters) dont quote me though that is what I heard on the Keys to the Kingdom tour
Plan A is what happened on 9/11. They simply close the park and calmly get everyone out over s period of time. Plan B involves quickly getting everyone out of the park via the nearest exit. Many of the backstage entrances including those near Millionaire at MGM and near Main street say Plan B Evacuation Route on the back of them. Plan C is used for severe weather and getting everyone quickly to safety. This does if necessary include guests entering the utilidors.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We were witness to a plan C at Epcot in 2001 - a funnel cloud passed over futureworld, without touching down (thank god) - I got the whole thing on video from CBR. Not much to see but lots of lightning and fast moving, low, strange clouds. We only found out by overhearing a CM at the Contemporary the following day talking about it. Aparrently the main pavilions in FW are storm proof (or severly beefed up)

If I recall, Horizons lower level (below ground) was used as a storm shelter - I remember seeing the evac routes from it in `93, and also routes INTO the firedoors from outside... anyone verify these blurred memories?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom