Evaced last night on Splash Mountain

fosse76

Not trying to start an argument here by any means, but are you sure about that??? I would be willing to bet that Disney's lawyers are well aware of what is legally sufficient in terms of ride safety. I'm no lawyer so I don't know for certain, but I am pretty sure that Disney's lawyers would be aware and make sure they are legally covered in the event of some idiot getting out of his/her seat during a ride.

Yes. I had to do a project in my legal research which involved the liability of a company regarding a customer having access to an "off-limits" area. Because the customer was able to access the area made the company liable, despite signage indicating they weren't allowed.

fosse76

:fork:You just go on and on and on and on....starting to remind me of IASW.:ROFLOL:Anyways....WDW is a billion $ company, I believe they are going to have both aspects of your statement under control. Are you seriously telling me that WDW should have a CM stationed everywhere you look on the Peopple Mover? Someone died there.

Really? So the monorail accident was just a fluke? It shows they have a reckless disregard for safety. They'd been operating the monorail for decades in a reckless manner, and it finally caught up to them. CMs cross ride tracks all the time without regard to the potential of being hit by a vehicle.

Maybe if you actually read my posts with some COMPREHENSION, you'd understand. While the vehicle is in motion, there is essentially no problem. It's when the vehicles STOP that it becomes an issue. If they stop for a significant amount of time (but not that which would require an evac), they need to send CMs to the vehicles to assure guests do not climb out.

By the way....do you seriously have to sit there and quote every single thing someone says???? That is going alitlle overboard, don't you think?:brick:

When I'm addressing points that may be taken out of context, yes.

fosse76

Ok, but again, you're arguing against what is basically an additional safety procedure on Splash Mountain. Since you brought up the monorail accident, obviously, too many safety procedures is never enough. If theres ANY ride needs to be reset locally to be safe, its Splash Mountain.

I'm not arguing against it per se.

Oh, absolutely, they do. Thats why I don't understand all the "arguing for the sake of arguing" in this topic, from people who were not involved in the situation, about a ride they have never worked at, yet are so quick to assume that Disney and the CM's were doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]

I never said the CMs did anything wrong.

fosse76

You quoted me.

Let me put this in terms that are easy to understand...

What we have now works. We don't need CMs standing around waiting for a downtime to happen, if one happens. The greeter positions and photocell are to remain in position for crowd control. Yes, we have rotations, but they last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Being stranded in a hazardous area for that long just to wait and see if a downtime happens is absurd. Our intrusion system works just fine the way it is. There is no need to change it. Everything we already have put in place works perfectly fine and serves it's purpose. The truth is, yes, the idea you put forward would work, but you aren't taking into account unnecessary staffing in case something that doesn't happen every day happens.

I may be no expert at running a theme park, but I'm guessing you aren't either. This argument is pointless.

:brick: They AREN"T WAITING AROUND if they are positioned around the ride at control points. It is a position to ENSURE guests stay in their vehicles. Is security at an office building simply waiting around for something to happen? No. They are monitoring the building. Same concept here. And you call it unecessary? What happens if someone climbs out of a log at the top of the lift, slips, and falls down the 50-foot chute? It happened at the Mall of America a few years ago (they also didn't have an employee at any of the control points). It can happen anywhere. While the CMs obviously can't physically force someone to stay seated, it certainly reduces Disney's liability significantly. What more can be done? And Disney has an inordinate amount of unecessary positions. Those "crowd control" positions don't actually do anything to control the crowd.

Thrill Seeker said:
Resetting Splash takes a bit longer than that. We have to reset each lift, pre-lift and drop individually as well as the station and both storage areas. If we have plenty of people on staff, it could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 depending on if there are any problems. There are 3 lifts, each has a pre-lift, 5 drops, the station and the two storage areas. It requires at least 5-7 CMs to reset.

That's exactly what I mean by overcomplication. There is no reason it should take so many people to restart the ride. And no reason it should take so long.

****EDIT
I agree that these types of positions SHOULDN'T be necessary. And maybe people who don't follow the rules get what they deserve. But in reality, it's always better safe than sorry. You and I know that when the ride breaks down, even though no one comes to talk to us, we are probably pretty safe. But the vast majority of guests only know the ride is stopped. They don't know they are safe. They don't know what's happening and people like to know what is happening. And from experience, PA announcements aren't sufficient. Even IFv a CM can't tell you what is wrong, being there in person is at least somewhat reasusuring to THOSE guests. As I mentioned in a previous post, look what happened on Harry Potter. It wasn't even a few minutes when GUESTS called 911. And they were actually about to restart the ride! I still stand by that I don't think it is necessay for there to be such a complicated system to restart the ride. Instead of having to restart the ride, those CMs could have been hosting at the control points.

jakeman

Well you know "the Authority" does not always know best . Look at 9-11 and Tower Two people were told to go back in or stay in. Human nature is to follow your own gut. Not saying what they did at Disney was right (or wrong for the matter), yes it was stupid for them to get out

Trying to survive a plane slamming into your building and not getting out of a plastic log aren't the same thing.

As for the rest of this argument...meh. :shrug:

Just another forum micturating match.

Thrill Seeker

:brick: They AREN"T WAITING AROUND if they are positioned around the ride at control points. It is a position to ENSURE guests stay in their vehicles. Is security at an office building simply waiting around for something to happen? No. They are monitoring the building. Same concept here. And you call it unecessary? What happens if someone climbs out of a log at the top of the lift, slips, and falls down the 50-foot chute? It happened at the Mall of America a few years ago (they also didn't have an employee at any of the control points). It can happen anywhere. While the CMs obviously can't physically force someone to stay seated, it certainly reduces Disney's liability significantly. What more can be done? And Disney has an inordinate amount of unecessary positions. Those "crowd control" positions don't actually do anything to control the crowd.

That's exactly what I mean by overcomplication. There is no reason it should take so many people to restart the ride. And no reason it should take so long.

****EDIT
I agree that these types of positions SHOULDN'T be necessary. And maybe people who don't follow the rules get what they deserve. But in reality, it's always better safe than sorry. You and I know that when the ride breaks down, even though no one comes to talk to us, we are probably pretty safe. But the vast majority of guests only know the ride is stopped. They don't know they are safe. They don't know what's happening and people like to know what is happening. And from experience, PA announcements aren't sufficient. Even IFv a CM can't tell you what is wrong, being there in person is at least somewhat reasusuring to THOSE guests. As I mentioned in a previous post, look what happened on Harry Potter. It wasn't even a few minutes when GUESTS called 911. And they were actually about to restart the ride! I still stand by that I don't think it is necessay for there to be such a complicated system to restart the ride. Instead of having to restart the ride, those CMs could have been hosting at the control points.

They are positions created in case something happens, which is not necessary considering we already have a highly advanced intrusion system and a CM in Tower monitoring the entire attraction. Could a freak accident such as what you described happen? Yes. In order for that to happen though the guest would have to get out of their log, ignore all PA spiels, climb to the top of the lift, slip and fall. That's a lot of extra effort to cause a freak accident. We would have dispatched someone who should be there long before they could climb to the top. For something like that to happen, it would either require a lot of effort or a ton of stupidity by a guest.

I know how quickly someone can get to C Lift. I had to go to that area yesterday twice for intrusions. It took me about 2 minutes each time.

I understand your concerns, but you are simply looking at this from a single guest's perspective and not a big picture one. 9 times out of 10 when we have a downtime, everyone remains in their logs as instructed and we get the ride back up and running in a few minutes. When we do have to evacuate, we get everyone off as quickly and safely as possible. It's a highly advanced attraction that requires a lot of people to reset. Should it be that complicated? Maybe not, but it is. Arguing about it isn't going to change anything.

I'm just trying to inform you of what we actually do and that it does work how it is suppose to...

When we get lap bars in the spring, the number of intrusions should be drastically lowered.

stuart

You would think that people would have enough common sense, but on Monday when I rode Splash Mountain a kid stood up every few minutes simply to try to see what was ahead. I am not going to speculate on the motives of guests who prematurely exit the ride vehicle, but if Disney doesn't have any preventative measures in place to prevent that, they are liable. And announcements and signs are not legally sufficient.

Disney can't be liable for the stupidity of those who get out of a ride vehicle between boarding it and stepping off at the end of the ride. Going by your logic then most rides on Disney property are unsafe - a couple other MK examples would be IASW and Tomorrowland Raceway (as the seatbelt can easily be undone) - whats to stop guests getting out of those ride vehicles? The same will apply for most rides at parks worldwide. Disney would surely only be liable in the event of a ride malfunction that resulted in guest injury due to inproper maintenance / failure to comply with health and safety regulation related to theme park ride operation / negligence by cast members etc.

If a ride is operating - such as splash is at the moment - incompliance with regulations, and a guest voluntarily gets out of the ride vehicle whilst in ride, whether it be stopped or in motion - how can this be the fault of Disney?

Also, if announcements and signs are not legally sufficient then why can Disney, and various other theme park operators worldwide operate like this?

I think you'll find that rides will be subject to various health and safety checks before they commence operations, and regualrly inspected to ensure they comply with local and national regulations and that the rides and shows in the parks will be operating in accordance to these. Perhaps you could direct your issues at those who regulate such health and safety / ride operation laws as opposed to Disney and the cast members who will be working, as the Disney Company is, in accordance with these regulations.

Also, I would imagine that in terms of how a ride can be restarted the processes to go thru this will be restricted to the ride design and technology of the time, hence why they may seem 'overcomplicated'. Depending on the ride infrastructure this would merit significant down time - which would not be required if the ride is still safe and compliant with current regulations. If these regulations changed, resulting in a redesign of some elements of the ride, then I'm pretty sure you'll find Disney would take the ride down to implement them.

And one more thing - the positioning of cast members throughout the ride as you suggested, explain to me how this will stop guests from getting out? Surely if a CM is on one side of the ride, then a guest could still easily get out of the ride vehicle, onto the side of the CM or more easily the other side. In addition, i do think that it would be money wasted positioning CM's throughout the ride for the relatively few times the ride will stop for a prolonged period of time - especially as annoucements can do the job, as well as a CM's sent thru the ride to see everyone if needed. The ride i assume, like most, will be covered by CCTV and if there was an issue in a particular area a CM could be dispatched there. This is probably why on the Tomorrowland Raceway there is a CM on the bridge to cover the blackspot in that area. As far as the reassurance side of things goes, people of a nervous disposition will still be nervous no matter what a CM says and no matter how many there are, especially if hearing various alarms, sirens, and announcements for the benefit of CMs located throughout the attraction. You could actually go too far in the other direction - if you had that many CM's stationed throughout then guests may get the impression the ride is unsafe that its staffed this much. Its the same with nervous flyers - the engines may rev, or the flaps may come down, the plane may drop slightly - all perfectly normal conditions of a flight - and a flight attendant can reassure that person all they want, but they will still be nervous, want to undo their seat belt etc. You cant make everything 100% safe. You cant wrap everyone in cotton wool. Thats just the way life is.

Thrill Seeker

Disney can't be liable for the stupidity of those who get out of a ride vehicle between boarding it and stepping off at the end of the ride. Going by your logic then most rides on Disney property are unsafe - a couple other MK examples would be IASW and Tomorrowland Raceway (as the seatbelt can easily be undone) - whats to stop guests getting out of those ride vehicles? The same will apply for most rides at parks worldwide. Disney would surely only be liable in the event of a ride malfunction that resulted in guest injury due to inproper maintenance / failure to comply with health and safety regulation related to theme park ride operation / negligence by cast members etc.

If a ride is operating - such as splash is at the moment - incompliance with regulations, and a guest voluntarily gets out of the ride vehicle whilst in ride, whether it be stopped or in motion - how can this be the fault of Disney?

Also, if announcements and signs are not legally sufficient then why can Disney, and various other theme park operators worldwide operate like this?

I think you'll find that rides will be subject to various health and safety checks before they commence operations, and regualrly inspected to ensure they comply with local and national regulations and that the rides and shows in the parks will be operating in accordance to these. Perhaps you could direct your issues at those who regulate such health and safety / ride operation laws as opposed to Disney and the cast members who will be working, as the Disney Company is, in accordance with these regulations.

Also, I would imagine that in terms of how a ride can be restarted the processes to go thru this will be restricted to the ride design and technology of the time, hence why they may seem 'overcomplicated'. Depending on the ride infrastructure this would merit significant down time - which would not be required if the ride is still safe and compliant with current regulations. If these regulations changed, resulting in a redesign of some elements of the ride, then I'm pretty sure you'll find Disney would take the ride down to implement them.

Well said.

Evaced on Splash Mt.

I was evaced on ToT last November. Talk about eeerie. WE were just about the drop and the car just sat there. NO drop, NO opening of the doors but just sitting in the dark waiting. WEIRD. Our elevator car was eventully pulled back after 10 min and we walked off and out the back of the ride. The peeps on the "elevator" were so much fun that there was no fear. Of course being dedicated riders we all went on to the next open elevator and had a terrific ride.:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom