ESPN fires Hank, who claims he quit...

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Check it out:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/06/espn-fires-hank-who-claims-he-quit/related/

ESPN fires Hank, who claims he quit
Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2011, 10:29 AM EDT

Getty ImagesThough ESPN’s decision to yank Hank Williams, Jr. from the opening theme music to Monday Night Football initially seemed to be a one-week suspension, it’s a little more permanent than that.

OK, it’s a lot more permanent than that.

ESPN has parted ways with Williams. The network announced the decision on Thursday, via John Ourand of SportsBusiness Journal.

“We have decided to part ways with Hank Williams, Jr.,” ESPN said in a statement. “We appreciate his contributions over the past years. The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue.”‬‬

Hank, of course, sees it differently. He claims that he has pulled his song from the show. Says Hank on his website: “After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You [ESPN] stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment, Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.”

Um, right. Hank apologized on Tuesday in the hopes of keeping the only thing that has kept him relevant for the last 25 years. And now that he’s being pushed, he’s trying to make it look like he jumped.

The sad part is that plenty of people will believe that Hank wasn’t fired, and that he actually did quit.

njDizFan

good riddance Hank.

Not to mention this isn't even close to being a first ammendment issue. He can say whatever he wants to whomever he wants, but as a company ESPN also has the right not to associate with him.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
good riddance Hank.

Not to mention this isn't even close to being a first ammendment issue. He can say whatever he wants to whomever he wants, but as a company ESPN also has the right not to associate with him.
I think the 1st amendment is the most misunderstood part of the US constitution. So many people thinks that it guarantees them the right to say whatever the please with complete impunity when all it does is guarantee that you will not be arrested for stating your opinion or facts. If I said "I hate Walt Disney World and everyone who goes there." no one will show up at my house to arrest me. My boss on the other hand would be completely justified in terminating my employment as such an opinion could negatively effect my ability to book vacations at WDW.

Drbob31

Williams made a major error here. He appears to be drunk in the interview, though I can't say either way. But that intro was most likely single-handedly paying his bills. Look for him on the road incessantly from now til kingdom come.

NYwdwfan

There is no mining quite as destructive as quote mining.:lol:

As I was reading your original post I KNEW someone would quote it out of context...quite a witty bunch around these parts! :lol:

BTW I'm ready for some football anytime, anyplace - I don't need that dumb song get me pumped.

Drbob31

Some really upsetting commentary on Southern culture came out on ESPN's Outside the Lines this afternoon. I was pretty displeased with this. Just because one drunken cultural icon can't keep his mouth shut doesn't mean we're all imbeciles.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Interesting question...

Who owns the rights to the song itself (which is a variation of an earlier song of his)? It was created especially for Monday Night Football, so MNF and/or the NFL possibly own the rights to it? Might they re-record it with another vocalist?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom