News Escape of the White Rhino

Obobru

It’s actually not exactly made up. The other three parks all feature doorless bathrooms. Animal Kingdom is the only park where guest bathrooms have doors. The potential for an animal escape is exactly why.
Loads of bathrooms in all the parks have doors. Or maybe they just added them all last month ready for my visit. Epcot breezeway springs to mind instantly as it was the last restroom I went in but plenty of others had them too and not just small ones or ones inside restaurants which obviously have doors for smell reasons.

UKDisney Dave

I’ve always wondered about the bathroom dooors in AK and if the bathrooms were designed as places of refuge.

Thinking particular of the restrooms in Harambe village one of the things that stands out for me is the door construction seems particularly sturdy, and on the inside of the door there is a clear and obvious thumb lock (not sure if that’s what is called in the US, but basically a manual lock that can be turned by hand without the need for a key). I always figured it must be for the refuge thing, why else provide guests with the means to lock themselves in the bathrooms!!

peter11435

Loads of bathrooms in all the parks have doors. Or maybe they just added them all last month ready for my visit. Epcot breezeway springs to mind instantly as it was the last restroom I went in but plenty of others had them too and not just small ones or ones inside restaurants which obviously have doors for smell reasons.
No, I certainly wouldn’t say loads. There are a few exceptions, but not many. The vast majority of the restrooms in the other 3 parks do not have doors.

I’m not sure specifically which Epcot restrooms you are refering. But if it’s the ones on either side of Innoventions they definitely do not have doors.

Beacon Joe

It’s actually not exactly made up. The other three parks all feature doorless bathrooms. Animal Kingdom is the only park where guest bathrooms have doors. The potential for an animal escape is exactly why.

I think this "fact" comes one of Jim Hill's podcasts - he stated that the AK bathrooms are the only ones on property that have doors that can lock from the inside so people could be protected in the event of a loose animal. I found that to be an interesting fact, and after forgetting to check on his statement in 2015, in 2017 I finally remembered to verify if it was a true assertion or another one of Hill's "facts." It definitely was false.

peter11435

I think this "fact" comes one of Jim Hill's podcasts - he stated that the AK bathrooms are the only ones on property that have doors that can lock from the inside so people could be protected in the event of a loose animal. I found that to be an interesting fact, and after forgetting to check on his statement in 2015, in 2017 I finally remembered to verify if it was a true assertion or another one of Hill's "facts." It definitely was false.
The part about the bathrooms having doors at DAK for the potential of an animal escape is definetly not false. Every bathroom around the park has a door for just that reason.

Beacon Joe

The part about the bathrooms having doors at DAK for the potential of an animal escape is definetly not false. Every bathroom around the park has a door for just that reason.

See the part I italicized. I was trying to point out that there are some urban legends that have grown around the door question; Hill's statements are a good example of something false that gets spun around a true observation. Sort of like the "fact" bandied around that AK is the only Disney park where the bathrooms have doors.

As far as barricading against a loose animal, I'm not sure what good non-locking doors would actually do.

peter11435

See the part I italicized. I was trying to point out that there are some urban legends that have grown around the door question; Hill's statements are a good example of something false that gets spun around a true observation. Sort of like the "fact" bandied around that AK is the only Disney park where the bathrooms have doors.

As far as barricading against a loose animal, I'm not sure what good non-locking doors would actually do.
The thing is that it’s not false. That IS the reason DAKs bathrooms have doors while the other parks do not. It’s not an urban legend. It’s why DAKs continue to be built with doors and the other parks continue to not need them. It also at least used to be a standard part of operations training at DAK years ago.

Most animals do not know how to open doors.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It didn’t work so well in Jurassic Park...
tenor.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've heard stories of Cheetah's getting out of their area and approaching the Rhinos. The rhinos naturally became aggressive towards the cheetahs and it was the cheetah that had to be "rescued".

Cheetahs are low tier garbage builds. Until they're buffed, they shouldn't even be allowed in the park server...

If you want to corral a rhino, release the hippos...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom