Epcot's Outpost expands with addition of new kiosk featuring recycled park guide maps

MissM

but what is the carbon footprint involved with this?
That was my thought. Good for the recycling but shipping it all the way to Uganda...and back? Jeez, doesn't sound very environmentally sound. If they did it right there in the park, like something people could watch the artist create in front of them, it would be better show AND much greener.

Interesting idea, seriously flawed execution.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't know the details, but I am guessing that it involves giving work to locals in Uganda. So really there is no other way to get them employed on this, other than shipping the raw materials there.

jt04

O.K., I'm no tree hugger...nor am I part of this whole new "green" fad, but what is the carbon footprint involved with this?

Anyone who would look at this product and think about a carbon footprint has to be a tree hugger at the very least. Wow.

That was my thought. Good for the recycling but shipping it all the way to Uganda...and back? Jeez, doesn't sound very environmentally sound. If they did it right there in the park, like something people could watch the artist create in front of them, it would be better show AND much greener.

Interesting idea, seriously flawed execution.

Seriously, when recycling is seen as anti-environment I think it is time to call out greenies for what they really are. It becomes clearer everyday.

This seems like a decent idea and the product looks nice. But I am sure neither of you ever buys imported goods including gasoline because you have roller skates made of recycled parts from american junkyards to get around. :lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If that is the case...how about giving some work to the locals or the millions of Americans out of work.

Disney are one of the largest single site employers in the USA, so they certainly do provide a lot of employment in the US. In fact, they are hiring now, so anyone in the Orlando area out of work should get over to the casting center. They also support a number of charities and organizations overseas, particularly in Africa.

sweetpee_1993

Interesting idea. Great inspiration for the crafty types like me. I have a stack of old park maps at home....the idea cup runneth over. Thanks Disney! :wave:
:lol:

MotherOfBirds

I think it's a great idea. It's employing people who would otherwise have few ways to support themselves and it's making sure that more paper doesn't end up in a landfill so it can sit there and take decades to decompose. And chances are that the paper is shipped to Uganda on a ship that would already be bound there anyway, with or without a box of old maps or two.

JimboJones123

Are the maps being made from recycled paper yet like most theme parks and zoos?

Does Disney now offer recycle bins for maps when exiting parks now like most theme parks and zoos?

Has Disney started putting in more self powered lighting?

Converted Autopia cars?

MissM

Seriously, when recycling is seen as anti-environment I think it is time to call out greenies for what they really are. It becomes clearer everyday.

This seems like a decent idea and the product looks nice. But I am sure neither of you ever buys imported goods including gasoline because you have roller skates made of recycled parts from american junkyards to get around. :lol:
Recycling is great. I live in an apartment that doesn't have recycling so I separate all my trash and manually drive out to the recycling facility once a month to drop a few bags worth off. I'm nowhere near opposed to recycling.

And I never said there aren't bigger issues out there with global commerce and the way we ship everything thousands of miles at great environmental impact. There are obviously further-reaching issues then just some park maps.

That said, there STILL is a valid point to be made that there is room for criticism in the idea of shipping materials from WDW only to ship it back. It's just not the most carbon-emission friendly way of going about it.

I don't hate the idea at all. I just think the process has room for improvement.

preludevtec01

But I am sure neither of you ever buys imported goods including gasoline because you have roller skates made of recycled parts from american junkyards to get around. :lol:

Why must most of your post be aimed at other members in a negative way? Have you ever heard of the phrase, "friendly conversation"? :ROFLOL:

Anyhow, the idea is really cool and I bet a big hit for kids.

wedway71

Well after looking at a few other web sites also...and the pics of this Outpost....seems to be a great place to steal...these beads...I have to yet to see a single CM in any of the pics on any website...-lol

Figment82

The "Beads for Life" program is nothing new - it's been around for years. A third party is running the kiosk at the Outpost and I believe there is one outside Rock 'n Roller Coaster as well. Disney supplies the program with old park maps, and it allows countless women in Uganda to support their families.

I purchased a couple of bracelets from the kiosk a few weeks ago, so I guess you all would consider me some sort of evil person. ;) I've been a fan of this program for quite a while, and I was glad to see Disney support it.

MissM

The "Beads for Life" program is nothing new - it's been around for years. A third party is running the kiosk at the Outpost and I believe there is one outside Rock 'n Roller Coaster as well. Disney supplies the program with old park maps, and it allows countless women in Uganda to support their families.
Well that's cool. It's good to hear it's benefiting more then just a corporation's bottom line, you know? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom