Epcots new lands in 1983

Brewski

Original Poster
My parents were cleaning out there closet and they found an epcot center book-like thing. in the back it said "soon coming to world showcase" and it listed Israel, Equatorial Africa, and Spain. Under each country there was a brief description.

Israel-The menorah, symbol of the state of Israel, stands at a courtyard center, surrounded by buildings reflecting the rich balanceof new and old. Walk through ancient Jerusalem to an amphitheater to hear performances of both classical and folk music. Sample native dishes under the shade of oliveand cypress tree's in the Israel pavillion.

Equatorial africa-The equatorial Africa pavillion takes you on a safari through a world of natural beauty and adventure. You'll view the drama of wild animals from the safety of a giant Cailcedra tree. You'll feel the electrifying energy of the "heartbeat of Africa" show and sway to the jungle beatof the music and dance. Alex Haley, noted author of roots, is you host for "Africa Rediscovered", an adventure uncovering Africa's ancient cultural heritage.

Spain-Take a spectacular journey through spain by film to liittle known and out of the way vacation edens.A ride attraction captures the country's passionate heritage and spirit in her arts. In a water side restaurant, indilge in tapa's or spanish style finger food - a blend of varied ingrediants but sutable to simple tastes. And browse the market places of striking contrast, from pueblo village to aristocratic opulence.

I wonder what ever happened to this idea?

Brewski

Original Poster
yeah, i know they wont do Africa, but what stopped Disney from making Israel, Africa, and Spain in the early 80's?

my speculation is this. in the early 80's disney had serious financial problems that lasted somw time. eisner was brought in to turn things around and he did. his idea at the was more hotels and parks and not current park expansion.

maelstrom

donaldduck1967 said:
thats right i forgot about that. its just over the bridge by china right?

Yes, that's where the Outpost is. Have you seen the book "Walt Disney's EPCOT Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow" by Richard Beard? It shows some of the things that were planned for Africa, Spain, and Israel. It also talks about things that were planned for other countries (Rhine River ride in Germany) but were never built.

Figment1986

In the Epcot opening celebration that was on TV when it opened they had a spot featuring Africa.... Never happened because of funding.... it looked interesting in the video... dont remember anymore....

DarkMeasures

The most promising Pavilian never built I think was the Swiss Pavilian. Would have contained the Matterhorn and the coaster would actually go above the entrance of the Pavilian.

Number_6

DarkMeasures said:
The most promising Pavilian never built I think was the Swiss Pavilian. Would have contained the Matterhorn and the coaster would actually go above the entrance of the Pavilian.

I remember when I was on a family vacation with my parents years ago and seeing information about the "coming Swiss pavillion" when I was watching the Disney Information Channel(Now "Top 7 Things to do at Disney" or whatever the name of it is. I'm always distracted by the hostess).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, there was talk of a Russia pavillion. Housed inside a recreation of the Kremlin! The paperwork I have says opening 1999...

The Swiss pavillion was quite far advanced - in the Imagineering book there is a sketch of it.

As covered in past threads, there was also the original Maelstrom, 3 attractions in Africa, The Rhine River Ride, the Venitian Gondola ride, an American Adventure omnimover, Meet the World Carousel theatre, Mount Fuji Rollercaoster, Crystal palace theatre.....

DarkMeasures

marni1971 said:
Meet the World Carousel theatre, Mount Fuji Rollercaoster,

You know, for Japan having the big castle in the back, it is kinda sad that there is no attraction but that baseball exhibit.

World Showcase seems to have more canceled attractions than anything else. (well the original tommorowland at Disneyland in the 50's had tons of canceled attractions)

vonpluto

Here's a few tidbits about WS countries that I've come across over the years while surfing that dang web. Don't remember the sources.

Frank

Russia - Last debut date late1994, early 1995; projected film “The Bells of Change”, projected ride based on “Ivan & the Magic Pike”

Switzerland 1989 - Swiss government approved construction of a Swiss sponsored pavilion in World Showcase, to include a 164’ replica of the Matterhorn. Final approval hinged on financal aggreements between the Swiss government and Swiss companies.

STATE OF ISRAEL PAVILION
1979 EPCOT Fact Sheet
CURRENT DESIGN CONCEPT FOR THE STATE OF ISRAEL PAVILION IS:

On the shorelines of the Israel Pavilion, the ruins of an ancient minaret serves as an information center. This blending of historical and commercial elements showcases modern Israel throughout the pavilion.
Olive and cypress trees line the entrance, and provide shade for buildings and traveler alike. Along one portion of the front, a casual outdoor eating area provides guests with a place to enjoy people watching and delicatessen type foods. Opposite from here, a unique convenience shop offers its visitors a selection of native publications, books, and films.
Beyond the pavilions entrance, the rising walkways lead travelers to a courtyard setting with shops clustered around the perimeter. The bazaar atmosphere of a marketplace in Israel permeates the interior and exterior of these shops. Tapestries, custom wood and brass items, jewelry, fashion apparel, and quality gifts provide guests with a small piece of Israel to take home as a remembrance of their experience. The facades of these buildings reflect the rich balance of the new and old.
Through an archway in the court, guests arrive at the last element of the pavilion – a covered amphitheater characterized after the theater in Caesarea. Here the famous skills of Israeli musicians will be demonstrated in performances of classical and traditional folk music.

•Ukrainian pavilion idea advances at Disney World's EPCOT Center

by Natalia Warren

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Jason Harper, president of the Ukrainian Project Fund recently met with George Kalogridis, executive vice-president of EPCOT Center at Walt Disney World, to further discuss plans for the proposed Ukrainian Pavilion.
As a result of the meeting, Mr. Kalogridis added Ukraine to a list that includes two other countries vying for the site between the Chinese and German pavilions. Mr. Kalogridis also gave Mr. Harper the go-ahead to discuss the pavilion project with other Walt Disney Company officials.
"He was very receptive," said Mr. Harper about Mr. Kalogridis' reaction to the idea of a Ukrainian pavilion. "He is very energetic and positive, and has a fresh perspective on what EPCOT is and what it will be," he added.
Although Mr. Harper was not at liberty to discuss details of the March 4 meeting, he did say that EPCOT will definitely have a new pavilion in the not too distant future.
The early morning meeting was arranged by Greg Emmer, former executive vice-president of EPCOT and current executive vice-president of The Magic Kingdom. In 1993 Mr. Emmer hosted then Ukrainian Ambassador to the United States Oleh Bilorus, when the idea of the Ukrainian pavilion was originally raised by the UPF.
According to Mr. Harper, Mr. Kalogridis "took the time at the meeting to become very familiar with the Ukrainian pavilion idea. He was impressed by the proposal and called it very complete."
Besides architectural sketches of Ukrainian-style buildings, a drawing for a roller coaster ride and photos of souvenirs, the proposal includes a videotape of Ukrainian dancing, provided by the Rusalka Dance Company of Winnipeg, which also has lent its name in part to the proposed sit-down restaurant, Club Rusalka.

Copyright © The Ukrainian Weekly, May 12, 1996, No. 19, Vol. LXIV

Number_6

DarkMeasures said:
You know, for Japan having the big castle in the back, it is kinda sad that there is no attraction but that baseball exhibit.

Actually, the last exhibit area, at least the last couple of times I went, now has Tin Toys from Japan(a bunch of them Disney themed, but also others). The exhibit is called "Tin Toy Story." Personally, I liked the baseball exhibit more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom