News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

No Name

Sometimes I wonder what we’re missing with the cancelled bar on legs and other parts of the original plan.

And then I remember this show gave us ugly barges during the day for something that never struck a chord at night. And the guardians coaster looks like a giant warehouse from outside for something that isn’t incredibly well done inside. I don’t think we’re missing anything great.

ToTBellHop

Sometimes I wonder what we’re missing with the cancelled bar on legs and other parts of the original plan.

And then I remember this show gave us ugly barges during the day for something that never struck a chord at night. And the guardians coaster looks like a giant warehouse from outside for something that isn’t incredibly well done inside. I don’t think we’re missing anything great.
But those legs…

I'm going to be honest, the biggest lesson that Disney needs to take from this is that a proper lagoon show doesn't  need anything else. The kites failed. The barges failed. At what point do they realize that the globe wasn't what made I:ROE good?
So with that logic, I:ROE would’ve been the same if it didn’t have the globe, the same globe that presented the 20th and final torch that represented the 20th century and unity as it rose from within and “We Go On” could be heard by guests around World Showcase Lagoon?

While I can agree that bigger isn’t always better, I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you on the globe. The globe and what it represented within the story very much was vital, at least from the perspective of creating a moment that allowed for an emotional connection between the show and its audience.

Inferno barge, the torches around the lagoon, and the globe in its glory with the 20th torch very much elevated the story of I:ROE and allowed audiences time and time again to not just see and hear a story, but to feel and connect with a story as old as time.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
So with that logic, I:ROE would’ve been the same if it didn’t have the globe.
I believe you're misinterpreting my sentiment, as we're on the same page.

My point was that it wasn't the work of that specific piece of infrastructure itself that made the show special. It played a part in a larger harmony of effects, as you pointed out in great detail. The focus of show development should not specifically be infrastructure. Reflections of Earth succeeded because the story came first, then the hardware.

Harmonious failed at this, because the show was made FOR the infrastructure, where as good shows have infrastructure made for THEM.

Vinnie Mac

So with that logic, I:ROE would’ve been the same if it didn’t have the globe, the same globe that presented the 20th and final torch that represented the 20th century and unity as it rose from within and “We Go On” could be heard by guests around World Showcase Lagoon?

I
I think that part is beautiful but I feel like an almost equal emotional impact could have been made with a WOC style fountain display while the white shells launched. The globe wasn't what made ROE, the soundtrack is what made ROE. The globe was the identifier for the show but not the thing that made it beloved.

I believe you're misinterpreting my sentiment, as we're on the same page.

My point was that it wasn't the work of that specific piece of infrastructure itself that made the show special. It played a part in a larger harmony of effects, as you pointed out in great detail. The focus of show development should not specifically be infrastructure. Reflections of Earth succeeded because the story came first, then the hardware.

Harmonious failed at this, because the show was made FOR the infrastructure, where as good shows have infrastructure made for THEM.
I did misunderstand your initial comment. Thanks for the clarification. We’re on the same page. Story should always come first and the show elements added are there to assist in the telling of that story.

I think that part is beautiful but I feel like an almost equal emotional impact could have been made with a WOC style fountain display while the white shells launched. The globe wasn't what made ROE, the soundtrack is what made ROE. The globe was the identifier for the show but not the thing that made it beloved.
I can agree that the story/soundtrack set the foundation for the show and the telling of the story, as it should for any show. The soundtrack was strong and was great at connecting with its audience. I can agree that the globe complimented the telling of the story.

I will have to say that what “makes” a show for one can differ for others… and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s whatever allows a person to feel a connection.

While WOC style fountains would’ve been interesting to have and not knocking the idea, but for me, I don’t think I personally would’ve been as connected with the show as I was with the finale of the show being something other than what we knew it as.

esskay

At this point I feel like they are just going to eventually do that.
TBH that would be the best outcome, it was pretty timeless and overall very well recieved.

I:ROE v2 would be great. Introduce projection mapping on every showcase building / monument, throw some on SSE, maybe add some drone lighting and you're done. I'd keep the globe and barge but maybe redesign it to be larger. I know theres hight limits on what can fit in the lagoon but theres ways around it (e.g have the globe sections fold down so they can fit under the bridge without needing to raise it).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom