News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

trainplane3

I think tags will return to EPCOT. They have a great hardware platform, and talented people to create something special. As always, it will be down to money.
To add to this, it seemed like they didn't have much faith in Harmonious when it debuted so they never did a holiday tag aside from the required ones. I mean, Luminous already got a partial programming for the Epcot anniversary tag for the DVC event. That says a lot. It only needs to be programmed for the back half of the equipment which shouldn't be difficult. It's already ahead of Harmonious in terms of extra tags.

jrhwdw

Epcot's Anniversary Tag for the Public won't return till Epcot's 45th(2027) if Epcot still likes the five year plan......

No reason why Epcot can't do POE Tag after Thanksgiving this year! Let’s hope Epcot figures that out!.....

As far as a full Holiday Show, We had Holiday IllumNations until ROE came along. I'm guessing ROE was way too popular to close it for a month in favor of Holiday IllumNations? Which is way POE Tag came a few years later? Question is: Is Luminous too popular for a full Holiday Show?

Last edited:

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Epcot's Anniversary Tag for the Public won't return till Epcot's 45th(2027) if Epcot still likes the five year plan......

No reason why Epcot can't do POE Tag after Thanksgiving this year! Let’s hope Epcot figures that out!.....

As far as a full Holiday Show, We had Holiday IllumNations until ROE came along. I'm guessing ROE was way too popular to close it for a month in favor of Holiday IllumNations? Which is way POE Tag came a few years later? Question is: Is Luminous too popular for a full Holiday Show?
I feel like with the fact that Luminous is getting good scores (the first nighttime show since HEA to get them) and the fact that they had to spend extra money making the show, I doubt there would be any true inclination to try and mess with it except for adding a tag that could only help the show.

gerarar

Premium Member
If the Peace on Earth Holiday tag comes back, they better bring back the floating pyro fountains at the beginning of the tag. It was always a wow-moment imo.

Their final run during the 2018 season was cut short after an incident where one flew into some bushes near guests

If need a refresher on the effect, it's at the very start of this video:

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
If the Peace on Earth Holiday tag comes back, they better bring back the floating pyro fountains at the beginning of the tag. It was always a wow-moment imo.

Their final run during the 2018 season was cut short after an incident where one flew into some bushes near guests

If need a refresher on the effect, it's at the very start of this video:

Definitely, I love that effect as well, but wonder how it would work with the small barges taking up more real estate in the lagoon.
I was thinking about it, and although it could use some major pyro additions, a tag from Luminaria (2001 DCA show) sounds actually alright to me. I adored the classic POE tag, but seems so tied into the orchestral Illuminations tradition that I feel like it would clash with Luminous a bit. That POE finale from Season of Light seems closer to the musical style of Luminous, and is fantastic in its own right. Any thoughts?

jrhwdw

Definitely, I love that effect as well, but wonder how it would work with the small barges taking up more real estate in the lagoon.
I was thinking about it, and although it could use some major pyro additions, a tag from Luminaria (2001 DCA show) sounds actually alright to me. I adored the classic POE tag, but seems so tied into the orchestral Illuminations tradition that I feel like it would clash with Luminous a bit. That POE finale from Season of Light seems closer to the musical style of Luminous, and is fantastic in its own right. Any thoughts?
I can see your point but, no reason Classic Epcot can't be in WSL either!

wbostic12

In the Parks
No

It is very odd that Disney has used moving fountains for nearly 15 years beginning with World of Color, and every single time they make a show, they seem to make the fountains slightly different. Sometimes they are improved (Luminous), and sometimes they are more jerky (DL F!, ROL).
In other news, I want to know what size lens Bio used to get that shot.

vlvtwishes

It is very odd that Disney has used moving fountains for nearly 15 years beginning with World of Color, and every single time they make a show, they seem to make the fountains slightly different. Sometimes they are improved (Luminous), and sometimes they are more jerky (DL F!, ROL).
In other news, I want to know what size lens Bio used to get that shot.
Luminous and Harmonious, even Momentous at HKDL, use fountain technology outsourced from an external company, OASE, they're well known for their top-tier fountain products and devices, so shows using their tech have better water effect quality. On the other hand, DL F! and ROL seem to use the faulty World of Color tech, which are prone to hiccups, hence why WOC has problems with keeping fountain running in good condition.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Luminous and Harmonious, even Momentous at HKDL, use fountain technology outsourced from an external company, OASE, they're well known for their top-tier fountain products and devices, so shows using their tech have better water effect quality. On the other hand, DL F! and ROL seem to use the faulty World of Color tech, which are prone to hiccups, hence why WOC has problems with keeping fountain running in good condition.
Hopefully DL F! Switches to these more reliable fountains when the show comes back. It would be nice to have these fountains at DHS F!

Vinnie Mac

Does anyone else love the pre-show music for the show? Wasn't sure how i felt about it at first but it's grown on me these past couple of months. Chacruna by Jungleyd and the very last song that plays (the one that transitions into the show). Very illuminations vibes.

I still think my favorite Epcot pre-show song EVER is Our Life by Uttara-Kuru. Hearing that around the lagoon with the torches on and the temperature cooling as everyone looks for a spot to watch Illuminations is a core childhood memory for me

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Does anyone else love the pre-show music for the show? Wasn't sure how i felt about it at first but it's grown on me these past couple of months. Chacruna by Jungleyd and the very last song that plays (the one that transitions into the show). Very illuminations vibes.

I still think my favorite Epcot pre-show song EVER is Our Life by Uttara-Kuru. Hearing that around the lagoon with the torches on and the temperature cooling as everyone looks for a spot to watch Illuminations is a core childhood memory for me
I enjoy this set of pre-music much more than the last. Each time I saw the show for the first few times, the "story" behind these selections began to make more sense. Only two weeks until I'm back again!

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Just wanted to see because I knew there was some discussion of this over the past few months, are the barges out of the lagoon during the day now? I know early on they stayed in the lagoon during the day due to both crowd management and maintenance, but now that those two things are theoretically less issues, what’s the status of that?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just wanted to see because I knew there was some discussion of this over the past few months, are the barges out of the lagoon during the day now? I know early on they stayed in the lagoon during the day due to both crowd management and maintenance, but now that those two things are theoretically less issues, what’s the status of that?
Lagoon is now clear during the day, been pretty much that way since the start of Flower and Garden.

gerarar

Premium Member
As mentioned above, almost all the cut pyro and fireworks that occurred since like New Years have finally been returned to the show's finale and restored as of Thursday March 7, 2024.

Just to rundown,
  • Two separate sequence of 6 small green shells. This was initially cut to 3 in January, then 2 shells a month later. Back to 6 now.
  • Green crossettes were swapped with ones that have a shorter airtime (tbh I prefered this since they were also louder since it exploded during a quiet note in the song).
  • Red crossettes during the center barge sequence was similarly swapped with ones that have a shorter airtime.
However, "I See The Light" and the finale are still using the "cutback" comets with a brighter star but shorter tail.
Also, the finale crackles were recently gone for a couple weeks. This also returned last Thursday (3/7).

Here's a comparison video of different showings for the past 3-ish months. You can see quite a difference in the pyro supply being used and the number of shells that were reduced for quite a while. I tried to mark it with comments when it happens.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom