News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

JohnD

Ok, I rewatched Luminous this morning with a much better video and view - found a great one, very still video from one spot/one angle (no zooming in and out or anything) - was from Italy and can see SSE in the background, etc. - really made a big difference

On second view I liked it much more - there are a ton of really subtle and exacting lighting cues matching the audio that I picked up this time - really impressive.

Think my favorite part is the You'll Be in My Heart segment - I thought the multiple languages in harmony worked really, really well... in contrast I found it very distracting in When She Loved Me - that part just didn't work for me. (granted, I am not the biggest Toy Story 2 fan)

The Toy Story/Play section also felt like it doesn't fit - other options to exhibit "friend love" than those choices

That said, from Into the Unknown until the end is pretty spectacular and really well done. Love the "echo" part with the countries lighting up for the echo and all the pyro

Still think I need to see it in person to fully appreciate but am way more excited to see it on our next trip now than I was last night
My plans next week are Epcot over two days with leaving Epcot early the first day to see Hoop De Doo. Planning on seeing fireworks and CP the second night. You're making me rethink I should be in the park both nights.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Having camped out in front Japan for a few hours before the show, my family had a great view of the show, and I have some observations.

• This was a vast improvement over Harmonious. For us real old school Epcot fans, the opening of the show where people spoke from the different nations with the pavilions illuminated was a throwback to the original Illuminations shows that predated Reflections of Earth.
  • The show was measured and paced. Some have called it slow, but it felt Epcot. The theme was adult. There was an arching theme to make you ponder and the theme is certainly one that adults will zero in on and could feel emotional about.
  • While we had IP music, which I'm no fan of, I felt that they did a good job with how the music was integrated. It was much better than Harmonious that seemed to be nothing more than a Magic Kingdom show.

And for the IP, there was a better mix of what was used. It went beyond the standard stock of what feels like four songs that they use on nearly every show in all of the other parks. It is what it is. I know the reality that until further notice, they're going to use IP synergy at EPCOT, so it was at least was very good for what it is.

• The original music for the show was well done, but it lacked something in terms of how it played out during the show. RoE and other prior iterations of Illuminations did a terrific job of having a thematic melody throughout and it didn't quite do that.
  • The fountains --- This is where the show was excellent. It evoked World of Color, but for those who remember, the Dancing Waters Show that was at the Disneyland Hotel.
  • And the exit music: It was great to hear the One Little Spark rendition and hopefully we'll one day see Figment with a worthy attraction again.
  • As for the fireworks, no one in our family are big into them, yet we all found that element to be very well done and we were standing right in front of one of the launchers where the sparking star style fireworks shot towards the center. It was well done and my college age sons both thought that part was cool.
It will be interesting to see if there are tweaks to the show. The audience reaction in our area was pretty good, but not wild. Without a doubt, there was always a bigger reception to RoE.
I would expect there to be some minor tweaks and cuts, considering how little time they had with this show in production.

hpyhnt 1000

I've gotten to watch a couple different recordings now. My thoughts:
-I think @wdwmagic had a great summary a few pages back. I totally agree.
-I think this is a show that will grow with people.
-It does feel safe, and that's understood. From what I've seen, most fans of Illuminations like this a fair bit, but they say it simply isn't enough/didn't reach the IROE standard. The Harmonious fans seem to be the ones who don't like it as much due to the lower energy.
-It seems a lot of the live viewers are saying this needs to be seen live. It doesn't video/photograph as far as visual impact.
-The infrastructure is great. It's appropriate for WS but includes some cool tricks and capabilities - which could be extended/evolved/repurposed/etc. That's awesome. (I couldn't help but think what taking the existing Peace on Earth tag and updating it to this infrastructure could be!)
-The tone is right here. I agree the narration is a bit on the nose. But, this was a MASSIVE step in the right direction. It does question whether an IP show really works in Epcot. But, this fully has the right idea.
-The show is definitely subdued, and I don't know if that's a bad thing. It doesn't give you all the emotions like ROE did. Rather, it almost aligns to World Celebration. A quiet reflection. The two of them together creates an energy of simply wanting to stay and linger (with a drink or snack... of course). We'll see how that translates, but I don't think it's a bad thing.
-I do think some of the middle section could have been better served by some medleys rather than specific song or two. But, like Illuminations, you could easily update Luminous with new songs/ideas but the same entry/exit/idea.
-The finale is great, but too short. This would have been the perfect opportunity for a new epilogue/fake ending, like We Go On, in between.

Overall, we aren't there yet. But, this was a huge step in the right direction. I am actually considering renewing my pass (something I had 100% decided against) to get to see this and World Celebration. I'm still skeptical with current management, but this gives me some hope.
Agree with a lot of this. Luminous is certainly flawed - every show is to an extent - but much less so than Harmonious. And it does "feel" closer in theme and tone to the kind of show EPCOT should have.

I guess one thing I'm just not getting - the fountains, pyro, and show tech. Most folks are giving them high praise, but I don't think it's all that great.
  • Too often the fountains just look like a blob of color in the center of the lagoon. Admittedly I'm only going by videos which make things flatter and smaller, but there seems to be this idea in recent shows that more = better, so we must have as many fountains moving or doing something all the time. As a result, it looks a bit of a mess rather than sweeping or grand or deliberate.
  • The lighting is a similar issue. More is not always better, and when you have what seems like a couple hundred spot lights sweeping about in every direction, I think it's too much and has less visual impact overall. The lighting and fountains almost compete with each other rather than complement.
  • Outside of the hearts and 360 effect that rises from center barge, the rest of the pyro is just fine. For one, there's too many sections where only one high shell at a time is going off, which isn't very impressive. There's also points where the shell used doesn't really fit the mood of the music (the first part of So Close for example) or where timing doesn't really line up with the music (the end of Heartbeat Symphony). As a result, Luminous feels more generic compared to Reflections of Earth, which had impeccable timing, custom fireworks colors, the inferno barge, three types of lagoon floating shells, air launch technology, and multicolor syncrolites (seriously, how have EPCOT shows regressed to now having only white syncrolites?).
Also, the show reveals its tricks within the first five minutes. Yes, there's that 360 effect toward the finale, but by the end of Heartbeat Symphony, we've seen everything else - the perimeters, the pavilions, the torches, and the lights, lasers, fountains and pyro launches. The remaining 10-12 minutes are variations of the same stuff, which is a bit of a letdown compared to past shows.

All that said, Luminous as a whole is a better show for EPCOT than Harmonious was, and maybe it'll get some tweaks in the months ahead to improve it.

mattpeto

Well something is coming, but not quite sure on the timing.
My guess is SWAGs will return in 2024. Most likely in an limited or After Hours Star Wars event at Hollywood Studios. A VQ for an experience/eats at Starcruiser (longshot)?

It matches what they did for Jollywood. (Paywall for a nighttime show that already exists, event with limited entertainment, etc). Plus they activated that launch site again finally for Jingle Bell Jingle BAM!...

As of now DHS last after hour event is scheduled in late April.

May the 4th.....

ToTBellHop

Like others, my biggest issue is that Play section (you didn’t even give us the Play pavilion!). It feels like they were forced to integrate a couple tentpole IPs and shoehorned this in. But, in an otherwise pretty emotional flow, a few minutes of Happily Ever After is a distraction. This segment should really be about communication and forming connections with others in youth, also a classic Epcot theme. Disney has plenty of songs about that without having to include Toy Story twice in the show.

osian

I've watched several different videos of the show and...I think I like it! Can't wait to see it in person (in 11 months).

The designers have done a tremendous job in choreographing the fountains and the pyro. The story is interpreted and acted it out in dance. It's not just water being squirted and fireworks being shot into the air. They have character and they are living. You can tell when they're happy, when they're sad, when they're celebrating and when they're overflowing with emotion.

And OMG that bit in the finale where the soul explodes from the centre and spreads itself everywhere, then pumps out hearts...that's powerful. That has the potential on paper to be cheesy but no, it's absolutely perfect.

But, you knew it was coming, the middle section of movie songs doesn't cut it for me. They're just a series of dreary power ballads. I'm not familiar with them actually so I couldn't tell you what they are or where they come from, but a show that is about music as a personification of the soul and is touted as a symphony should be just that, a rousing symphony. The opening Welcome segment is a good example of that, but after that, yes, it's just IP being shoehorned in where it doesn't belong. The music should be telling the story, along with the dancing fountains and pyro. I'd like to mention Peter and the Wolf to indicate what I mean. But in this case, they've just been trying to pick an existing song from a limited catalogue that could loosely tie in with the theme of that specific segment. The music hasn't been custom-built for the show to tell this particular story, and the vocals are only there to convince you that the music fits. It's the music that should be telling you the story, not the vocals.

However, given that these songs at least are trying to tell the story in question rather than telling the story of the movie that they came from, it feels more EPCOTy and if it satisfies Iger in the process then this is probably the best that could be achieved.

And also, this show proves yet again that physical, practical effects in 3D are infinitely better than bright LED screens and fuzzy projections on water spray.

TheMaxRebo

Like others, my biggest issue is that Play section (you didn’t even give us the Play pavilion!). It feels like they were forced to integrate a couple tentpole IPs and shoehorned this in. But, in an otherwise pretty emotional flow, a few minutes of Happily Ever After is a distraction. This segment should really be about communication and forming connections with others in youth, also a classic Epcot theme. Disney has plenty of songs about that without having to include Toy Story twice in the show.

Chance to use some less over-used songs too

Best of Friends - Fox and the Hound
Look Through My Eyes - Brother Bear
Strangers Like Me - Tarzan (though already have a Tarzan song in the show)
Learn Me Right - Brave

Disney Analyst

Okay so just watched a video, second viewing since last nights livestream. This show is really beautiful, and I completely disagree with those who say the pyro is not unique. Each sequence offers difference and excitement, and the finale for this show is truly fantastic, in fact one of the best they've done.

I love the message of this show, the human journey. It's a great reminder that despite all the noise, we are all human, and we do come together in hard times.

I have actually always thought this, and to quote the show:

"How lucky is it that we exist on this planet at the same time?"

A lot of people here have a bad case of rosy retrospection. Illuminations ROE had a beautiful score. That's it. The fireworks were well designed, but there wasn't anything great about the fireworks in ROE other than they were designed well with the score. ROE was a mediocre fireworks show. The fountains were awful and underwhelming. The inferno barge was cool, but even it for all its glory was just a one trick pony. Almost 6 minutes of the show was just looking at a slow moving earth globe with nothing else going on... The first 4 minute section and the first 2 minutes of We Go On. I loved Illuminations, but it wasn't what everyone here is making it out to be.
That’s exactly the point, to me at least. Illuminations score was so good that it did the heavy lifting. It didn’t need a narrator telling me what to feel and when. Were there some slow parts that needed fixing and more pyro? Absolutely. But the music was so powerful it told the story on its own. Still gives me goosebumps every time. And We Go On is such a beautiful song that speaks to our resilience. I didn’t hate Luminous, but as someone who cries at everything lol, I didn’t feel anything.

scottb411

Watched the WDWMagic 4K video and this is a much better show than ROE. Stating that, I agree with the posts that state that the ROE musical score was hard to beat and that seems to be the main issue with any faults of the latest shows.

Stating all that, I think that Disney should strongly consider taking the ROE (Reflections of Earth) musical score at it is and use it at a nightly Animal Kingdom fountain and drone show and that will make everyone happy. It will be a "sure thing" night show and be very popular.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
A lot of people here have a bad case of rosy retrospection. Illuminations ROE had a beautiful score. That's it. The fireworks were well designed, but there wasn't anything great about the fireworks in ROE other than they were designed well with the score. ROE was a mediocre fireworks show. The fountains were awful and underwhelming. The inferno barge was cool, but even it for all its glory was just a one trick pony. Almost 6 minutes of the show was just looking at a slow moving earth globe with nothing else going on... The first 4 minute section and the first 2 minutes of We Go On. I loved Illuminations, but it wasn't what everyone here is making it out to be.
I felt like the first segment of illuminations not only was the music aggressive but the fireworks were as well and more in your face (in feeling anyways) and very loud. That kind of energy is what I miss. That show had several ramp ups and downs. The middle water section was boring however but that musical score really got everyone into it.

pigglewiggle

Watched the WDWMagic 4K video and this is a much better show than ROE. Stating that, I agree with the posts that state that the ROE musical score was hard to beat and that seems to be the main issue with any faults of the latest shows.

Stating all that, I think that Disney should strongly consider taking the ROE (Reflections of Earth) musical score at it is and use it at a nightly Animal Kingdom fountain and drone show and that will make everyone happy. It will be a "sure thing" night show and be very popular.

Honestly, just play it every night in the stadium they built. Wave some water with colorful lights. Would love to end the night at Animal Kingdom, with some wine, listening to ROE.

Tom Morrow

It was the first show to have pyro synchronized to that degree. People exaggerate or misremember how long you're actually just looking at the globe. It's not actually half of the show with nothing happening. The globe portion does what none of the current shows do: build anticipation. It did that and delivered the payoff in droves. I do agree that it's still slightly too long of a lull, but that was specifically an artistic choice, a risk they were willing to make back then. They were willing to make the audience wait just a little too long for that next firework because they were confident in their production and knew everything after it would payoff and resonate with viewers. And it did.

Like it, or hate it, you remember the globe more than any part of Harmonious or Luminous. The final leg of the show with elements like the globe opening and the barrage of bright white shells - same thing. They're beautiful, meaningful, and the show spent time building you up to those moments.

The difference between crafting a show that resonates emotionally with people vs. one that just... does stuff.

Also, ROE in it's final few years had a lot of pyro cut and that shouldn't be your lasting impression of it.

Yes, ROE long overstayed its welcome, but it was still the company putting on an art performance and not a marketing synergy party.

Last edited:

Disone

Hmmm. I don't know about that. Is Happily Ever After just a generic fireworks synced to Disney IP? For the most part yes. There are some customized fireworks in that show but someone would knows better I am pretty sure could confirm illuminations reflection of Earth also had its fair share of customized fireworks. They were not all just off the shelf and they were certainly not type of fireworks that you and I can buy at the 4th of July tent sale on the side of the road.

Illuminations Reflections of Earth was masterfully done. Yes it had its lull / slow burn but even it's then it was not just the globe in the middle of the lagoon doing nothing for 4 minutes. It started from the shore and worked its way to the middle of the lagoon in a star field of floating fireworks. When those expired lasers took over. Later the fountains would join in, (agreed if by themselves they would be completely unimpressive) but they were a visual element added as anticipation began to build.

This was the most controversial part of the this show, the slow burn that was the globe's first appearance to it centering itself in the middle of the lagoon to the beginning of the celebration. Then ultimately final reveal of the 21st torch from within and the the dawning of the next thousand points of light.

But regardless of those lulls most people walked away from this show completely impressed. It is a textbook example of the experience being greater than the sum of its parts.

Golden age of Walt Disney World has never been now. This fan site is full of rosy retrospects for sure! But honestly I don't think illuminations reflections of earth is victim of being one of them.

TheMaxRebo

My plans next week are Epcot over two days with leaving Epcot early the first day to see Hoop De Doo. Planning on seeing fireworks and CP the second night. You're making me rethink I should be in the park both nights.

Well, normally I would say do Epcot both nights but HDDR is tremendous too, so can understand one night at each for sure

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom