News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

gerarar

Premium Member
First thoughts. Love the intro and finale.

I also can't get over the heart-formed pyro effects in the finale. There are 6 of them, and they go off every beat of the song. And they're viewable all from around the lagoon. It's mwah! Chef's kiss!
Screenshot_20231205_213803_X.jpg

Screenshot_20231205_213832_X.jpg

At a first glance, I like the different pyro uses throughout the show. Bravo to the pyro team! We don't have the weird moving arms anymore (aka Harmonious), but we have a ton more barges and they produce some pretty spectacle things.

Really need to see this in person just for the fireworks themselves (imo). Haven't seen an Epcot fireworks show in person since 2020 with Harmonious. Completely skipped the park at night on my recent Sept 2023 trip because Epcot Forever wasn't something to desire.

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

I'm gonna be honest with you for a second and I know some will disagree but I have a feeling many people would have not liked Illuminations if it came out today. I could see it now. "So boring!" "Harmonious was more energetic!"

I don't think so, at least musically. The problem is not much can live up to that score.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
Seems like the consensus was that it exceeded the low bar that was Harmonious, but was far from a marquee entertainment achievement for WDW.

wutisgood

for all the illuminations stans I want to know how much pyro this uses vs that. I think for all the hype illuminations got it got away with using a lot less in between the beginning and end because it was a strong show thematically. Harmonious was a long show but allegedly had cut pyro at certain times compared to the premier level. I do hope to see a technical analysis of where and how much pyro is used between the three shows.

Earlie the Pearlie

I honestly think what's important here is that, whether you think it was excellent or not, there's at least a solid framework that can be built upon or modified as necessary. You have:
  • movable barges that span much of the lagoon and can produce a good crescendo of effects.
  • very solid original opening and closing numbers.
  • a structure that doesn't feel like a castle show and allows pieces to be swapped in or out easily.
With that in mind, if they find a certain section isn't landing, they can excise it. They could even conceivably go in a less IP-heavy direction in the future under different leadership.
As we had several versions of Illuminations before landing on ROE, this could be the first in a long line of fireworks shows named Luminous! And then in 30 years they’ll shut it down for New Epcot ‘47

vikescaper

After watching one of the live streams, I like Luminous but I want to see it in person before I pass final judgement. I loved ROE and feel that this could be a worthy replacement. I watched Harmonious twice and that was more than enough for me.

Tom Morrow

Another snoozer singalong made for the Disney Adults, Disney Lifestylers, influencers, and vloggers.

I'm gonna be honest with you for a second and I know some will disagree but I have a feeling many people would have not liked Illuminations if it came out today. I could see it now. "So boring!" "Harmonious was more energetic!"

The average person today also can't enjoy classic films anymore and need bombastic CGI superhero slogs of endless, boring action.

SplashJacket

Unbeatable fireworks and fountains.

Dozens of moments with pyro I’ve never seen or never utilized in that way.

Fountains were spectacularly and emotionally crafted to enhance the story.

That’s the takeaway we should have tonight. We have infrastructure that can be used to tell a great story. Unlike with harmonious, who’s worth was irredeemably tarnished by its barges, this show has fantastic bones which should keep World Showcase Lagoon vibrant at night for years to come.

I need to watch the show again, but I’m not quite sure the show had a bowtie finale to take us to tomorrow. It lacked We Go On. But the bones are there, and that makes me excited to rewatch.

Disney Analyst

Unbeatable fireworks and fountains.

Dozens of moments with pyro I’ve never seen or never utilized in that way.

Fountains were spectacularly and emotionally crafted to enhance the story.

That’s the takeaway we should have tonight. We have infrastructure that can be used to tell a great story. Unlike with harmonious, who’s worth was irredeemably tarnished by its barges, this show has fantastic bones which should keep World Showcase Lagoon vibrant at night for years to come.

I need to watch the show again, but I’m not quite sure the show had a bowtie finale to take us to tomorrow. It lacked We Go On. But the bones are there, and that makes me excited to rewatch.

The pyro execution was really just wonderful. Lots of it, and a lot of new and exciting effects.

Also the finale pyro was plentiful and powerful.

TheMaxRebo

Was thinking of that - if we never had anything like Illuminations and it debuted tonight and I watched it on a live stream I probably wouldn't be blown away either

surfsupdon

Watched online. It sure was better than what we have had with Harm and EF!!

Just wish we had that amazing score like Illuminations had! Sure it had slow parts, but that music was everything!!!! It was exciting.
Luminous didn’t have exciting music. It had narration telling you how to feel. That’s a big difference. Fireworks were great tho.

fgmnt

Illuminations was a great show and it lasted probably 5-10 years longer than it should have. It deserved to die and get a successor, it's just that Harmonious was unquestionably a poor attempt at succession.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom