News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

ToTBellHop

As a teacher of younger people, their taste in entertainment is dubious at best. That they liked it tells me all I need to know about the quality.
Most young people just like what people born in 1983 liked as kids. They’re just pretending it’s new. Looking at you, kid who plays with a Dwight Schrute bobble head while wearing a Notorious B. I. G. shirt!

Parker in NYC

I honestly think the removal of the show has wayyy more to do with the sightlines and the barges themselves than guest scores.

People on these boards hate it, sure. But the general public really liked this show. People on here like to pretend like everyone hated it but thats not the case and I've been saying that for well over a year now
Tell that to the dwindled ADRs. People just weren’t staying late for this show. Money talks. If this was such a hit, the numbers tell a different story.

Vegas Disney Fan

Content-wise, I think Harmonious was a good 2-3 revisions away from being a perfect show. Had the show opened with more cohesive narrative moments between the sections like it had during the Disney+ special, I think it would have solved lots of issues about the lack of a defined story or thru-line that connected each segment together.

Unfortunately content updates won’t matter compared to the incredibly shortsighted decision of permanently anchoring such ugly fixtures in the lagoon. Early concept art made it seem like these platforms had sculpted pieces on them to at least give them some sort of visual aesthetic, but nope. Just black rigging.

I enjoyed Harmonious but felt the same, the show itself had issues but nothing that couldn’t be fixed with some tweaking. Ultimately there was no fixing the barges or the decision to go with a 2 sided screen in a circular space though, the hardware doomed this show before it even opened.

mattpeto

I enjoyed Harmonious but felt the same, the show itself had issues but nothing that couldn’t be fixed with some tweaking. Ultimately there was no fixing the barges or the decision to go with a 2 sided screen in a circular space though, the hardware doomed this show before it even opened.
Yep all of this. A couple of edits could made a better show. Illuminations went through revisions too.

But it failed as the permanent show because the views are hideous during the day.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Harmonious Felt like AI wrote it… it was missing soul, and not very ambitious. The technology, was incredible, yet very obtrusive.
IMO of course….
As the sun sets over Epcot, the air is filled with excitement and anticipation for the upcoming fireworks show. The crowds gather around the World Showcase Lagoon, eager to see the spectacle that Disney has in store for them.
Suddenly, the water of the lagoon begins to stir and bubble as colorful fish and sea creatures emerge from beneath the surface. The audience is treated to a dazzling display of lights and colors as the creatures swim and dance to the rhythm of the music.
Next, Tinker Bell appears, soaring high above the lagoon, leaving a trail of shimmering pixie dust in her wake. She lands on a nearby barge, where Mickey and his friends are waiting to start the show.
As the music begins, the sky is illuminated with bursts of color as fireworks explode in every direction. The audience is awestruck as their favorite Disney characters come to life in a spectacular display of light and sound.
The Little Mermaid appears on the water, surrounded by schools of fish, as she sings "Part of Your World". Ariel is joined by other Disney princesses, including Belle, Cinderella, and Jasmine, who dance and twirl to the music.
Next, the Pirates of the Caribbean take over the show, with Jack Sparrow leading a swashbuckling adventure on the high seas. The audience is treated to an explosive display of fireworks, as the pirates engage in a battle to save their treasure from the clutches of the enemy.
Suddenly, the music changes and the audience is transported to a galaxy far, far away. The Star Wars characters come to life as the Millennium Falcon races across the sky, with lasers and lightsabers clashing in an epic battle.
Next, the superheroes of the Marvel universe take over, as Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor lead the charge against the forces of evil. The audience is treated to an incredible display of pyrotechnics and special effects, as the heroes save the day.
As the show reaches its climax, the Incredibles appear on the water, with Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, and their superpowered children fighting off villains with their incredible abilities.
But the surprises aren't over yet. Suddenly, Moana appears, sailing across the lagoon on her trusty boat with Maui by her side. The audience is transported to the island paradise of Hawaii as Moana sings her signature song "How Far I'll Go".
As the show comes to a close, the night sky is filled with a cascade of shimmering sparks and explosions. The audience cheers as Mickey and his friends take their final bow, and Tinker Bell flies off into the night sky.
The Epcot fireworks show is a magical and unforgettable experience that brings together the best of Disney's intellectual property, including recent additions like Star Wars, Marvel, and Moana, in a stunning display of creativity, imagination, and artistry.

Vinnie Mac

Harmonious Felt like AI wrote it
AI Wrote this (which is better than Harmonious, I'll admit):

The nighttime show at Epcot should reflect the park's focus on international culture, technology, and innovation. Here's a concept for a show that could capture the spirit of Epcot:

Title: "Worlds of Illumination"

Description: As the sun sets and the stars come out, the World Showcase Lagoon transforms into a stunning canvas of light and sound. "Worlds of Illumination" takes guests on a journey through the countries of the World Showcase, highlighting their unique cultures, achievements, and contributions to the world.

The show would feature a series of vignettes, each focused on a different country. The vignettes would be introduced by a host, who would provide some background on the country and its contributions. The host could be a famous person from the country, a Disney character, or an original character created for the show.

The vignettes would be a mix of projections, special effects, music, and live performers. For example, the Canada segment could feature a projection of the Northern Lights, while a group of dancers perform a traditional First Nations dance. The Japan segment could feature a giant animatronic Godzilla battling a robot, while a taiko drum group plays in the background. The France segment could feature a projection of the Eiffel Tower, while a can-can dance troupe performs.

The finale of the show would bring all the countries together, highlighting their shared humanity and the ways in which they have come together to create a better world. This could be done with a large-scale projection mapping show on Spaceship Earth, the iconic geodesic sphere at the center of the park.

Overall, "Worlds of Illumination" would be a celebration of diversity, innovation, and the power of human connection. It would be a fitting tribute to the values and ideals that Epcot was founded on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom