Epcot's 2011 Food & Wine Festival

Disney Shib

Original Poster

I was wondering if anyone has been to WDW during Epcot's Food & Wine Festival. My boyfriend and I are taking my parents down in October and the newly release menu looks incrediable. I guess my questions are whether or not this is something we have to pay additional for or if we need to purchase tickets or make reservations? Thanks so much!

WDWmazprty

No you don't pay any extra fee to actually go to it, but you do have to pay for the food. You can use the DDP as well if you have that. I would bring extra money just for that though, because there are a lot of different kiosks to try food at and you might not want to use all your snack credits on those.

But its great! Have fun!

Disney Shib

Original Poster
No you don't pay any extra fee to actually go to it, but you do have to pay for the food. You can use the DDP as well if you have that. I would bring extra money just for that though, because there are a lot of different kiosks to try food at and you might not want to use all your snack credits on those.

But its great! Have fun!

Thanks so much! It sounds wonderful.

tizzo

I was wondering if anyone has been to WDW during Epcot's Food & Wine Festival. My boyfriend and I are taking my parents down in October and the newly release menu looks incrediable. I guess my questions are whether or not this is something we have to pay additional for or if we need to purchase tickets or make reservations? Thanks so much!

The festival goes on in the park during normal hours. Thus park admission gets you into the festival as well.

I've been to Epcot during F&W many times, but I don't generally participate in the festival per se. What most people probably think of when they think of the festival is the kiosks around World Showcase at which you can buy all of the food choices that are offered as part of the festival. So while you don't have to pay (other than park admission) to get into the festival, the chief benefit - the food - does cost extra. The food consists of sample-size portions and IMO is quite pricey. I believe they advertise $4 to $7 for an entree (at least that's what I think it was last year). But I remember portions being quite small - you're going to need more than two or three of these to make anything approaching a meal. On this, I'm in no way your typical guest. I consider a $30 sit-down meal to be enormously expensive, and a comparable amount of food is probably going to run you closer to $50 at the F&W kiosks.

There are other events that are part of the festival, some free and some not. For example, I believe there are wine tasting events and cooking demonstrations. I've never participated in any of these, but my understanding is that you do need to make reservations and pay to attend these.

As far as free events, the one that comes to mind (and the only part of F&W in which I've ever really participated) is the "Eat to the Beat" concert series at the America Gardens Theater. This is a series of famous but no longer popular bands (in many cases just one original member heading a new band playing the original band's catalog). Admission to these concerts is free with park admission. Some are more popular than others, and that will influence how early you have to get in line to see them. Last year, we went to see Rick Springfield - on a weeknight - and people were lined up for the second show before the first one even started. Other bands you can walk in and find a decent seat five minutes before they take the stage. I believe they also offer dining packages that guarantee you seating - a benefit whose value will vary depending on the band for the reason I just explained.

My advice would be to plan a day at Epcot, and play F&W by ear. Everything else in the park is available just like any other time, and it's not going to cost you any more just to walk in. You can then walk around World Showcase and spend as much or as little as you like. Forgo an ADR for that evening so you can partake of the festival fare, or not, as your whim and budget dictate.

JillC LI

If you have the DDP you can use your snack credits to buy from the different country kiosks. That worked out well for us. Try to go early before it gets too crowded.

fillerup

I'm sure this has been discussed but I wasn't aware that Epcot will be open until 10pm on six Saturdays and two Fridays during the festival with Illuminations at 10.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Unlike some of the others, I LOOOOVE The F&W Festival!

Yes, the portions are relatively small and yes, it can be relatively expensive, however the food choices are so unique and some are VERY good. I'm a local, so I usually go 2-3 times per year.

Its easy to participate on a budget, you can actually get a small F&W charge card (it comes on a bracelet), put, say $20-30 on it and then you will know how much you have left after each kiosk.

RetiringIn2005

We love F&W and really enjoy the kiosks. You get a chance to taste foods you don't ordinarily eat. Yes, it can be pricey, but being older (60's), we don't eat that much anyway, so a couple of items from the kiosks is plenty for us for meal. Plus during F&W, we don't do any full service restaurants, so we save a lot of money that way.

danpam1024

Unlike some of the others, I LOOOOVE The F&W Festival!

Yes, the portions are relatively small and yes, it can be relatively expensive, however the food choices are so unique and some are VERY good. I'm a local, so I usually go 2-3 times per year.

Its easy to participate on a budget, you can actually get a small F&W charge card (it comes on a bracelet), put, say $20-30 on it and then you will know how much you have left after each kiosk.

I love it too! As with any good restaurant, you get what you pay for. The food is fantastic. We buy the gift card bracelet thing and it works out well. I don't mind the cost, but I'm not a cheese burger and fried foods kinda gal either, I am well aware good food is expensive:lol: and I'm ready and willing to pay for it at the F&W fest!

Communicore

Food and wine is really fun, it adds to the "drink around the world" experience. I always say that the drink around the world is never complete if it was not done during the food and wine. The food portions are very tiny it seems like they are reserved for Mickey's little friends only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom