Epcot?

Bama14

My son is eight and Epcot is a favorite of his. Of course he loves the rides, but there are also a lot of interactive activities. Exploring Innovations and the ending of Mission Space, Journey and SSE along with the Seas can take some time. Also there is a lot to see at World Showcase as far as entertainers and charactor meetings and the Agent P Missions. To make the WS more interesting you can also get them a Passport. CMs at each country will sign and stamp the passport for them when they visit and they can color a Duffy Bear if they need a little break. Illuminations is also a really beautiful, amazing way to end the evening. We never finish Epcot in a day.

wareagle93

Original Poster
My son is eight and Epcot is a favorite of his. Of course he loves the rides, but there are also a lot of interactive activities. Exploring Innovations and the ending of Mission Space, Journey and SSE along with the Seas can take some time. Also there is a lot to see at World Showcase as far as entertainers and charactor meetings and the Agent P Missions. To make the WS more interesting you can also get them a Passport. CMs at each country will sign and stamp the passport for them when they visit and they can color a Duffy Bear if they need a little break. Illuminations is also a really beautiful, amazing way to end the evening. We never finish Epcot in a day.
So what is this Agent P that y'all are talking about? We've been twice and the kids are now 8 & 9 and I don't recall agent p.

DfromATX

Yes, one day easy. But, as others have said, go into the countries and explore. There's other things than rides. Lots of good places to eat too.

JiminyandTink

Heck, you could spend half a day waiting in line at the Epcot Character Spot (and I have) :)

I love Epcot and spend at least 2 days there every trip (But in all honesty, I would have the same answer for all four parks).

Bama14

One thing I will say about doing WS with kids is to start on the Canada side and work around. Save Norway and Mexico for some of the last countries. If kids see rides in these two, they often expect them all the way around.

wareagle93

Original Poster
One thing I will say about doing WS with kids is to start on the Canada side and work around. Save Norway and Mexico for some of the last countries. If kids see rides in these two, they often expect them all the way around.
Very cool...both kids really like Phineas and ferb. We might just make a full day of it.

Goofyernmost

I am going in 5 weeks and doubt I will go there this trip. The reason is my daughter tolerates it. Epcot is simply not kid friendly in my opinion. There are a few kids attractions, but not enough. We are going to hit Typhoon Lagoon twice while there if the weather is right. Much more fun for her to do that. My enjoyment comes from her being happy.

If my daughter was not there, then it is a different story and with a different group. Sitting and having drinks around the world is fun. Definitely not something a 7yo enjoys.
Please don't take this in a wrong direction, I see that you said you have decided that it isn't kid friendly, not her. I am not judging how you deal with your kids, that is your business. That said, I will tell you how I feel about it. I always felt that when I let my kids make the decisions concerning what we did and when we did it, I was, in effect, making it their responsibility that we all have a good time. Kids, in my mind, don't really know what they like. They see things, mentally, different than we do as adults and even the best description that we verbally create are not seen in its reality.

I originally went to WDW because I thought it would be a nice place to take the kids while they were young and would be traveling with us as a family. I let them have input (suggestions) to our agenda but not control of it. This was a family thing and I personally felt that if all I was going to get out of it was seeing the joy in my children while I trudged around behind them, I could find many other places I could go too.

I guess I am more old school as well. I felt that they were damn lucky that they were in a family that not only wanted them along but had the ability to go to a place like WDW. They were the center of my world, but they rode along with me, the world didn't revolve around them. I found that if I showed enthusiasm and joy while there it was contagious and that they would also feel it. They did.

One of my granddaughters had a fit when we said that we were going to Epcot. She was 6 at the time and had determined that from what she saw in the vacation planning video there was nothing there that she would be interested in. She slipped into boredom mode before we ever stepped foot in the park. Well, she didn't have any choice but to go wherever we went. After a few minutes of pouting and foot stomping she finally decided, I guess, that she should make the most out of it. She started to get into it. When we got to Test Track, I felt, oh, no, she isn't going to like this. She asked what it was about, we told her, and she wasn't sure but decided it would be more interesting then sitting out on the wall waiting for us, so she came along. Guess what...she is 10 now and her absolute favorite ride in all of Disney World is Test Track. Her favorite park is Epcot. She talks about it all the time.

Moral of the story...one never knows what individuals will like until they have experienced whatever it is. They, or you, may think they won't be liking it, but find something in it that wins them over. I have been on these Disney related boards for years and I always get a chuckle when people ask what is worth going too and what should they skip. No one can answer that for anyone else. We don't see the world the way they do. Example, I loved "Sounds Dangerous" whereas I have never ridden Dumbo in 30 years and have no intention to do so. I'm sure that if I had asked advice about it, those two attractions would have had a completely different reaction from many people.

Bparso87

We spend full day no exceptions my favorite park live beers from all over the world. But my kids love it to the rides could be some of there favorite. The love test track and soaring. But do the kidcot have them color and get it stamped at every country they lived it.

Bob Saget

It is refreshing to hear of a child that age who is genuinely interested in the learning & culture of Epcot, and not simply looking for rides...rides...RIDES...and princessy-delights like so many other children. Good for him!

Epcot is our favorite park as well, and seldom can be done all in one day.

BigRedDad

I see that you said you have decided that it isn't kid friendly, not her. I am not judging how you deal with your kids, that is your business.

No offense taken at all. Everyone has their own opinions. Outside of the playground stuff at Innovations, Nemo, SSE, and Figment, that is about it for attractions. The created Perry, Kimpossible to give kids something to do walking around WS. For my daughter, it is not something she enjoys. Kidcot is only fun so many times.

In maybe 3-5 years, she will come to appreciate the countries and enjoy visiting them. At 7, it is a level of tolerance for her.

bethymouse

2 days for us.:D My boys age 8 LOVED Agent P's Adventure! It took us a while, maybe 30 minutes or so just around Japan. We always do the countries. The boys love greeting the CMs and speaking to them. There are just little hidden gems at EPCOT. We always rest and eat at EPCOT. We always watch Illuminations ( our favorite). Our favorite ride is Test Track. We ride that over and over!:D My boys actually like Livin w/ the Land boat ride as well. Soarin is great! We get a fast pass and usually ride it twice. They still like Nemo, and really enjoy meeting CRUSH! Turtle Talk w/ Crush is kinda cool.:cool: One boy likes the orange side of Mission Space and rides it w/ Mommy ( we're daredevils). The other guy rides the green side w/ Daddy.:) We usually skip Ellen's Energy Adventure. They're not too much into dinosaurs and Bill Nye the Science Guy w/ Ellen ( getting outdated IMHO). Sadly Journey into Imagination is not really worth it, but they do seem to like to spend time "playing" in the Image Works Lab area ( no longer sponsored by KODAK).;) I guess my guys are not into science that much, so we don't do much w/ Innoventions. We have waited for the Character Spot, and it was worth it once. Love shopping around the world. The boys usually stop and watch the entertainment around World Showcase. We've never waited for Belle or the Beast- those lines are outrageous!:eek: I love shopping at Mouse Gear ( good selection of XXL XXXL clothing). We could even make it into a 3 day park. I guess bottom line is: don't spend the extra money for Park Hopper. We tried it one year, and we were exhausted going from park to park. Maybe if you have teenagers that you trust to go off on their own.;)

bethymouse

Oh and don't forget about Spaceship Earth "the big golf ball".;) My boys love playing the "hockey like " game Power City ( 1 hour- played game 3 times while Mommy just rested).:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom