EPCOT: What would you add or change?

Figments Friend

Needless to say, my suggestion would be to put you in charge of Imagination 3.0. :)

What do you mean with your suggestion of Progress City on steroids?

Well shucks....that is nice of you to say, but i am not sure if i would be the right candidate for the task.
Management would probably not be too pleased with my budget proposals...oh, and my insistence on the 'Baxter Factor'.
;)

'Progress City' on steroids...that comment referred to some great ideas suggested by Eddie Sotto in one of his past discussions about EPCOT and what could be done to bring it to the next level.
Basically, he was touching on how it would be great to bring some true new tech into the Park for display or implementation, and also devote some areas of the Park to actual residential areas.
Similar to Walt's original plan, but on a more modern direction sized to fit into the pre-exsisting Theme Park.

Mickey87

As others have said, add two new countries, a Wall-E ride or area, and a Tron ride or area.

Perhaps change the ending to SSE. The whole, "This is your future" is cool but I would like to see what else they could come up with. Oh and I love SSE but for me personally, SSE just isn't SSE without Jeremy Irons (sorry).

Prototype82

I've never heard of a "living with the sea's".

What would I change? I'd remove franchises and not hold onto the past. EPCOT Center shouldn't be about obsessing over nostalgia. It should be out with the old and in with things that are new, relevant and current. Showing the best of nations and the best of the technology that is just on the horizon. So here's my list:

- Rhine River Cruise alongside Biergarten

- Fast-paced United Kingdom ride in a trackless modern bus of sorts with an interactive queue inside of monasteries and Gothic corridors. Tapestries and old manuscripts would be interactive through touchscreen and projection effects. It would be a 3D multi-sensory ride with large screens with 2 or 3 city sets with massive model work.

- Present day district in Japan - Guests meander down alleyways of neon-lit shops full of manga, cosplay, electronics, and fashion merchandise to enter a train station to embark on a fast paced ride through the country. At one point, the train passes through a mystical Torii gate - transporting the guests to a world full of gods, demons, and spirits.

- New updated Spirit of Norway that is so powerful that you'll get tears all over your 3D glasses

- Russia or Brazil pavilion. Disney pays out of pocket so it'll actually happen.

- 3D Universe of Energy. Massive rehab and rebuilding of physical sets, go digital, high-budget animation takes us through the dawn of the Universe, human evolution, and the struggles and triumphs of harnessing energy through a SERIOUS narration rather than a comedy show.

I'll add onto this later...

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
As others have said, add two new countries, a Wall-E ride or area, and a Tron ride or area.

Perhaps change the ending to SSE. The whole, "This is your future" is cool but I would like to see what else they could come up with. Oh and I love SSE but for me personally, SSE just isn't SSE without Jeremy Irons (sorry).
SSE just isn't SSE without Walter Cronkite (sorry).

Prototype82

Update the godforsaken Canadian pavilion, starting by scrapping the Circle Vision show and CM outfits.

What would you replace the epic CM outfits with? If we're sticking with traditional garments like the rest of the pavilions, what would you go with? English or scottish costumes? the garb of voyageurs?

Mickey87

SSE just isn't SSE without Walter Cronkite (sorry).
Unfortunately, I was so young when they replaced the Walter Cronkite narration with Jeremy Irons. I barely even remember Walter Cronkite's narration. While I agree that I think Cronkite's version was amazing, I relate more with Jeremy Irons since I remember his version better. So I hate to say it but I prefer Jeremy Irons over Judi Dench, Vic Perrin, or even Walter Cronkite. But whatever floats your boat.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Unfortunately, I was so young when they replaced the Walter Cronkite narration with Jeremy Irons. I barely even remember Walter Cronkite's narration. While I agree that I think Cronkite's version was amazing, I relate more with Jeremy Irons since I remember his version better. So I hate to say it but I prefer Jeremy Irons over Judi Dench, Vic Perrin, or even Walter Cronkite. But whatever floats your boat.
I don't remember Vic Perrin, though I did ride it as a kid. But, I'd take Irons over Dench any day... Both he and Cronkite were epic narrators, Irons with his deep voice, and Cronkite with his recognizable, authoritative news tone and unique tempo.

Mickey87

I don't remember Vic Perrin, though I did ride it as a kid. But, I'd take Irons over Dench any day... Both he and Cronkite were epic narrators, Irons with his deep voice, and Cronkite with his recognizable, authoritative news tone and unique tempo.
I completely agree. Cronkite and Irons really had that special something that helped captivate guests. I really want to like Dench's version, but something just seems off.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I completely agree. Cronkite and Irons really had that special something that helped captivate guests. I really want to like Dench's version, but something just seems off.
Could it be the fact that she sounds like a middle school history teacher who is near retirement?

michmousefan

Some of this is based on a post I wrote the other day for Spirit's Sixth thread, but...

For WS: First off, I'd freshen the movies: shoot some new scenes for the France film -- there's much that could stay, but in reality why not shoot in 4K HD and make a new classic. New film for China, and Norway as well. I'd also add another country to the collection; probably a Brazil or South American combo pavilion, with some type of ride. I'd also get rid of the Millennium Pavilion and build an E-ticket in its place that is part of the UK Pavilion. Something celebrating the UK's rich history; might be fun with a time-traveling aspect to it with a certain Doctor.

At Norway, add a whole mini-land using the expansion pad next to Mexico, with a Frozen ride and a new Princess restaurant and M&G. That would allow the Akershus to revert back to a more serious cuisine.

In FW: Replace the existing Imagination ride with a new attraction using the Mystic Manor ride tech, theme it to Imagination via the upcoming Pixar "Inside Out" movie. Demolish the 3D theater (even my Zoo has a 4D movie now, so 4D's not as special as it once was) and replace it with a newly imagined ImageWorks on the first floor and a restaurant on the second, with an outdoor deck and plenty of views of Illuminations.

The next part would require some major reconstruction, but this fantasy comes with no budgetary strings, right? Split Soarin off as its own "Sky" pavilion, and add a fun weather simulator attraction and exhibits as well. Build a new E-ticket on to the Land.

On the other side of FW, film a new adventure for Mission Space, retire the mechanical dinos at Energy and re-do the pavilion with an enhanced renewable energy theme. Still keep the traveling cars but give that middle moving portion of the ride some compelling new content.

And on the Odyssey site... rebuild; make that your new Festival Center for F&W and F&G, including banquet space for Party for the Senses, etc. That would leave an opening at Wonders of Life, so find a new set of attractions there... and don't fall into the traps that TDO placed there in the first iteration of the pavilion -- from the oh-so 80's color scheme to the circa 1989 celeb parade at Cranium Command. Something a little more timeless, please.

horizons82

EPCOT is a VERY emotional topic for me.

As the son of a CM, we used to go to WDW a LOT when I was younger, and as much fun as the MK was, EPCOT Center (as it was called back then) was my favorite park.

Even though I still enjoy Epcot today, it can't hold a candle to the awe-inspiring park that it was for so many of those years when I went to it so often in its original form.

Horizons, the original SSE, the original UoE, WoM, the original Imagination...I miss them all dearly and often find myself watching YT videos of those attractions and/or listen to old ridethrough audio recordings.

However, when I really think about it, what I miss most about Epcot isn't just the physical attractions--what I miss is the idealistic, positive, sincere way in which EPCOT presented ideas back then. I found the original EPCOT to be a wonderful, visionary park that took a serious approach to ideas but still had just enough quirky humor to keep it from feeling too heavy-handed. In this respect it was the perfect balance in mood and setting for the kind of park it was meant to be.

While I realize that the original attractions and physical properties of the park would feel somewhat dated these days, I am disappointed in how the park has changed from something with idealism, vision and edutainment and has been turned into something sillier, less refined, and more about entertainment. The way the ideas of the park are presented IS something that didn't have to change and newer attractions could have kept that more serious tone and created a sense of awe without bringing in characters, more thrill-like rides and such. We already have other parks for those kinds of attractions.

I could sit here all day and ask for all of the original attractions of Epcot to be brought back (including the original look of The Land pavillion interior), but that simply isn't realistic. But what IS possible is to get the park back to a forward-thinking park that is awe-inspiring both in the scale of its thinking, ideas and attractions and to keep the branding of the characters and such to a minimum. So if there was something I could change, it would be to return the mood, atmosphere and the more sophisticated yet inspiring way in which the original EPCOT presented itself.

The setting and mood of the original El Rio del Tiempo vs. the current Gran Fiesta Tour is a perfect example of the kinds of changes I hate to see at Epcot because it took something that was trying to present itself as authentic, educational and cultural and made it silly/fun. I'm not saying that I don't like Gran Fiesta in its own way, but it pales in comparison to the emotional, atmospheric impact of the original, which is how I feel about much of Epcot these days.

All, just in my humble opinion of course.

KCheatle

I would open 2 rides in the world showcase- one between Germany and Italy, and one between Morocco and France. The first one would be a dark ride about all of the landmarks in Italy. I think there's a lot of cool things about Italy that could be touched upon in a dark ride. The Moroccan one would be a water ride based off the Draa River in Morocco.

I would also change the menus for QS locations in the future world. I think the food selection is terrible.

I would overhaul Innoventions. I feel like there's potential with Innoventions, but right now, I think it's just taking up space. I'd incorporate some of the technology which is available but underused because it's at the DisneyQuest into one side of Innoventions. That side would be geared towards more young adults and older adults. On the other side, I'd move Figment in (it goes with the theme of "Imagination") and then build a new imagination pavilion which would be geared towards younger children.

I'd overhaul the interior of the existing Imagination Pavilion and Captain EO and, keeping the integrity of the original structure to the best extent possible, build a new restaurant with a "futuristic" food theme- I can think of a menu based solely on top chef entrees that I've seen over the years. The restaurant would have a large pavilion that overlooks the world showcase and specifically the lagoon at night for Illuminations. It would have a dessert party, except the desserts would be based upon the different countries and they would be paired with corresponding wines. I would leave the upside down fountain untouched, but I would move the shooting water fountains over by Nemo.

Disneydreamer23

I would put a few more pavillions and add a parade with all the countries participating and I would update every thing I would add a few more intense rides and another ride in the Countries

KingOfEpicocity

lets keep in mind the original purpose of EPCOT Center (yes i want to readd the center) its to showcase ideas
"of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere in the world."

E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982.

so first things first, not more ms, put an updated horizons in, for WOL give it a fresh clean look and update the rides to make them more attracted to today's crowds. as for UOE all we need to do is speak more on education than fun, a perfect mix is key, as for LS, add more educational stuff, its dominated by nemo and friends, give it a scientific purpose, like sea base alpha. the land is ok, AND BRING BACK THE OLD JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! move all the HGTV crap to Odessy, and lastly give innoventions a more, communicore update, same with test track 2.0, but its pretty cool.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'd like this lounge in Epcot Test Track to be open to the public or a duplicate. Great views.

BhgQ8-SCcAA7THt.jpg:large

ra pedersen

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom