Epcot wasted space?

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I'm sure this has been discussed countless times, but I'm awful at finding relevant past threads, so I apologize. Or perhaps this might spark new opinions and updated info.

Can anyone help me understand what the seemingly empty buildings in Future World are? I'm speaking specifically about the white-roof buildings just behind SSE in the photo below. If memory serves, many moons ago these were souvenir shops, and then meet-n-greets at some point. I might be wrong about that, but now they look like just empty buildings... for many, many years. Can anyone help me understand? If these are empty buildings or if they're being used for administrative purposes, why would they let such prime sq ft in the center of EPCOT's main entrance be wasted this way? If they are being used for guest purposes, what are they? I see "guest relations" above part of one of the buildings, but that could easily be relocated to a less prime area.

Btw, I realize that one of these buildings is home to the famous peephole bathroom, but I don't believe that was the reason these buildings were built... unless there's some grand conspiracy and Bob plans on making a paid attraction of it. :rolleyes:🤣 It just seems to me that this space could be used in some much better way... or used at all since it seems to be abandoned space. Isn't there one bright person working in a place of influence that can suggest that large empty buildings at the entrance might be better utilized?

My knowledge of these buildings is really dated, so perhaps they're part of a current refurb, but as of today Google Maps doesn't specify what these buildings are or what's located in them short of a couple small areas of them.

Any info or corrections of wrong assumptions would be great appreciated.

Epcot.JPG

dhslxop

The building on the left is now home to the Creations Shop and Connections Eatery / Cafe. The building on the right was demolished as part of the Epcot refurb.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
The building on the left is now home to the Creations Shop and Connections Eatery / Cafe. The building on the right was demolished as part of the Epcot refurb.
Thanks! Demolished to be more open space, gardens, etc., or to make room for something else?

Sbk1234

Those buildings were Communicore. And before they became meet and greets they were amazing places. This video will tell you all you about it. Thanks @marni1971 !

Communicore West was demolished to make way for the Moana Journey of Water (underway) and the new Festival Centre (on hold).

I really loved the Communicore (before they became Innoventions). They really were dynamic, interesting places, so full of life and energy.

cloudboy

If you look at the way they, along with Spaceship Earth and the post show building, all fit together you realize they are there to squeeze even more money out of the guests.

JohnD

Thanks! Demolished to be more open space, gardens, etc., or to make room for something else?

Gardens/open space, including "Moana's Journey of Water" or whatever it is. The remaining building is fully utilized with the gift shop, Club Cool, and the cafe.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Gardens/open space, including "Moana's Journey of Water" or whatever it is. The remaining building is fully utilized with the gift shop, Club Cool, and the cafe.
Thanks for the info, John. Great to hear they're finally going to better utilize the space. We'll leave the debate for later as to whether they're utilizing it well or not, but this is encouraging news compared to what's been a brooding building void of anything joyful, or even educational.

JIMINYCR

Ive always said there should be no empty space anywhere in the parks. An empty building should always be utilized so people can walk through and spend time, dispersing some crowds, giving them something to utilize more park time. The spaces could have screens playing entertaining clips, be used to promote upcoming shows, display Disney historical items. None of these ideas takes up excessive staffing, builds lines, or is costly to run.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Ive always said there should be no empty space anywhere in the parks. An empty building should always be utilized so people can walk through and spend time, dispersing some crowds, giving them something to utilize more park time. The spaces could have screens playing entertaining clips, be used to promote upcoming shows, display Disney historical items. None of these ideas takes up excessive staffing, builds lines, or is costly to run.
Not a tremendously effective use of empty space, but better than how they were recently using it for sure. And you're right... if it allows a few families with kids to unwind for a nap while a cartoon plays or something, that's a few less families waiting in lines with crying kids so the rest of us can get on a ride a bit quicker. Honestly not a bad idea, but hopefully whatever they'll do with it will be even better for dispersing crowds a bit. Perhaps a M&G area, or where they can put on shows every so often to disperse crowds like you said.

Last edited:

JohnD

I would argue that the green space on the west side of SSE won’t be empty space but purposelful space. Green space is not necessarily empty space. Is Central Park in NYC “empty space”? No.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I would argue that the green space on the west side of SSE won’t be empty space but purposelful space. Green space is not necessarily empty space. Is Central Park in NYC “empty space”? No.
I read @JIMINYCR's response a bit differently. I thought this was a comment about the empty buildings that were there, not of what it will become. I could be wrong.

sileic

Speaking of space. Does Club Cool and the Creations shop / cafe take up the whole building or is there unused space for more?

doctornick

Speaking of space. Does Club Cool and the Creations shop / cafe take up the whole building or is there unused space for more?

Others can say for sure, but yes I think that Creations, Connections (both the quick serve and Starbucks café) and Club Cool fill up all those buildings.

Heppenheimer

Those buildings were Communicore. And before they became meet and greets they were amazing places. This video will tell you all you about it. Thanks @marni1971 !

Communicore West was demolished to make way for the Moana Journey of Water (underway) and the new Festival Centre (on hold).

Communicore was really the heart of what Epcot originally was all about. And it would have probably been the easiest portion to update and keep relevant with the times, but, nah, lets just put in some character meet-and-greets and more merchandising shops... although to be fair, I think at least one of those shops was always there... and merchandising and IP synergy seems to be the real future of the Walt Disney Company under Chapek anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom