Epcot wand?

donaldfan

Good, thanks for that:wave:

Personally I'd prefer even more Disney Character stuff in Epcot, and in the other parks too, and I know my hubby agrees. And yeah, I know that a lot of people would disagree with us. :)

What animated characters would you like to see added to the Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror or Kilmanjaro? :shrug:

JK

FantasMickeyM

Point taken, for me, I love to go to MK, but for me, Epcot is the, "mature" park. Walking around the WS at night with a pastry from France and a cup of coffee is among my favorite things to do. I just like to get away from the characters and all the little kids every once in a while. :)

COMPLETELY agree about getting away from the little kids for a while! :sohappy:

I think I misjudged you at first, sorry about that. You make sense and although I still want more characters, I see you point. :)

FantasMickeyM

Would you feel the same if there was a gigantic Mickey arm over Cinderella Castle?

Do you think that's a natural comparison?

Forums tend to have their share of people who think discussion is a matter of them being right and everyone else being stupid and wrong (in their opinion). They often make themselves easy to spot by making completely illogical comparisons to prove how wrong and stupid everyone else are.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not one of them. :)

Sorry about all these posts, I can't figure out how to put more than one quote in each message, and I felt I had to reply to all the "comments" and questions to my original message.

Personally I think the conclusion would be that it's all about opinions, and that we should leave it at that, unless anyone's got anything sensible to say about it.

I recon this has gone on for long enough:wave:

goofyfan13

COMPLETELY agree about getting away from the little kids for a while! :sohappy:

I think I misjudged you at first, sorry about that. You make sense and although I still want more characters, I see you point. :)

It's all good, sometimes I talk with a sarcastic tone, I try and police myself when posting here to avoid that, but sometimes I just don't catch myself. :wave:

With the characters, I don't even mind them at MGM, or even in moderation at AK, but Epcot is a park that I enjoy not seeing them all day. :D

donaldfan

Do you think that's a natural comparison?

Forums tend to have their share of people who think discussion is a matter of them being right and everyone else being stupid and wrong (in their opinion). They often make themselves easy to spot by making completely illogical comparisons to prove how wrong and stupid everyone else are.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not one of them. :)

Sorry about all these posts, I can't figure out how to put more than one quote in each message, and I felt I had to reply to all the "comments" and questions to my original message.

Personally I think the conclusion would be that it's all about opinions, and that we should leave it at that, unless anyone's got anything sensible to say about it.

I recon this has gone on for long enough:wave:

Yes, some people do see it as a natural comparison -- that's the point! If you look at SSE as something similar to a stadium, than yeah a big "Epcot" sign over it may make sense. Some people see it as a work of art, similar to the Tree of Life or Cindy's Castle. I understand where the pro-wand folks are coming from, I don't understand why you don't see my point of view though? I think you're sort of the pot calling the kettle black in your first couple sentences there. You think I'm illogical because I can draw a comparison between the Castle and SSE?

Here's a great Epcot blog you may want to take a look at . . .

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/

cloudboy

I am hesitant to post a reply to this topic, as there are already several others already active on this subject, and I don't want to incite any more bickering.

I did want to stress, though, that while I certainly DO have an appreciation of Spaceship Earth from an architectural standpoint, that is not the reason that I hate the wand or think preserving its structural simplicity.

The reason that I don't like the wand is that it takes away from the themeing of Epcot Future World. Many people may have never even seen this side of it, but there was at one point a strong theme to Future World, even if a little dated. It was a theme of utopia - of an opportunistic future based in reason and knowledge. It was a theme of the melding of creativity and science, personified by a kind of world's fair utopia.

What the wand, and several other elements in Future World do, is to destroy that theme, and instead turn it into a a kind of advertising space. Almost a three dimensional, interactive, billboard. Instead of walking into the future, you now walk into the next up and coming event.

cooleo

It's all good, sometimes I talk with a sarcastic tone, I try and police myself when posting here to avoid that, but sometimes I just don't catch myself. :wave:

With the characters, I don't even mind them at MGM, or even in moderation at AK, but Epcot is a park that I enjoy not seeing them all day. :D

I too may have misjudged you due to your comments on another wand post. I do agree with you that the park is unique in its own way & like what it was meant to be. However, I think you will be disappointed if you are waiting for the characters to go away from the park. They do in fact seem to be more plentiful at EPCOT more so lately.

goofyfan13

I too may have misjudged you due to your comments on another wand post. I do agree with you that the park is unique in its own way & like what it was meant to be. However, I think you will be disappointed if you are waiting for the characters to go away from the park. They do in fact seem to be more plentiful at EPCOT more so lately.

Oh, I don't expect them to go anywhere, I'm just saying I don't want Epcot to turn into another MK with a meet 'n' greet every 15 feet. Right now I can tolerate the way Epcot is, I enjoy the moderation. :D

donaldfan

I am hesitant to post a reply to this topic, as there are already several others already active on this subject, and I don't want to incite any more bickering.

I did want to stress, though, that while I certainly DO have an appreciation of Spaceship Earth from an architectural standpoint, that is not the reason that I hate the wand or think preserving its structural simplicity.

The reason that I don't like the wand is that it takes away from the themeing of Epcot Future World. Many people may have never even seen this side of it, but there was at one point a strong theme to Future World, even if a little dated. It was a theme of utopia - of an opportunistic future based in reason and knowledge. It was a theme of the melding of creativity and science, personified by a kind of world's fair utopia.

What the wand, and several other elements in Future World do, is to destroy that theme, and instead turn it into a a kind of advertising space. Almost a three dimensional, interactive, billboard. Instead of walking into the future, you now walk into the next up and coming event.

Agree with that too. But the Innoventions signs have been toned down from what I've heard. There's hope!

FantasMickeyM

Yes, some people do see it as a natural comparison -- that's the point! If you look at SSE as something similar to a stadium, than yeah a big "Epcot" sign over it may make sense. Some people see it as a work of art, similar to the Tree of Life or Cindy's Castle. I understand where the pro-wand folks are coming from, I don't understand why you don't see my point of view though? I think you're sort of the pot calling the kettle black in your first couple sentences there. You think I'm illogical because I can draw a comparison between the Castle and SSE?

Here's a great Epcot blog you may want to take a look at . . .

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/

Ok, everyone else here seem to make sense to me now, apart from you.

If you read (and understood) my messages, you'd hopefully see that your little pot theory about me doesn't hold water.

I do NOT think everyone else is stupid and wrong. I think (as I've already written) this discussion is all about OPINIONS (i.e. there IS no right and wrong.) And I'd like you to tell me when I've ever made illogical comparisons.

Can't believe I have to explain this, as in my mind it's very obvious why a hand next to the castle wouldn't make sense, whereas a hand next to spaceship earth might. A big hand next to the castle would be completely out of proportion and make no sense, as the castle is an actual real life size castle. Besides, the castle is already colorful, Disney-ish and fun and wouldn't necessarily need it. I think Spaceship Earth did, and clearly, so did Disney.

Spaceship Earth is a symbolic structure and would make as much sense at whatever size. And seems like Disney wanted to add some colorful Disney magic fun to it. (I.e. they chose to add "Epcot" instead of "2000" rather than taking the hand/wand down) And that choice seems to define the whole park and not just the sphere. It ties in with the direction they seem to be going with the entire park. I think it adds to it and makes it more what Disney is about, others don't.

Even if you don't, I understand why Disney put the hand/wand on the sphere, and not on the castle. It seems very obvious to me.

This, I think, is not just a wand-or-not discussion, but a discussion about what we would like Epcot to be.

I too, see Spaceship Earth as a piece of art, and a landmark. But just as this whole discussion is, what art is, is also a matter of opinion and different taste. I should hopefully know, being an artist:)

I do, of course, (as you would've known if you read my posts) understand the "against wand" people's point. I just happen to disagree.

Have great and magical day with or without wand :wave:

FantasMickeyM

I totally agree with you regarding the whole "The Land, Presented by Nestlé", "Imagination, Presented by Kodak", Test Track/General Motors, Mission Space/HP thing.. Hey, we already pay enough to get into the park, stop bombaring us with ads! :brick:

I don't really see the connection between the wand and the ads, although I can see how you think the wand/hand ruins the Future World theme.. But personally, I think the wand ties in very nicely with that Disney theme these parks seem to have:lol: , so I like it!

donaldfan

Cant' believe I have to explain this , as in my mind it's very obvious why a hand next to the castle wouldn't make sense, whereas a hand next to spaceship earth might. A big hand next to the castle would be completely out of proportion and make no sense, as the castle is an actual real life size castle. Besides, the castle is already colorful, Disney-ish and fun and wouldn't necessarily need it. I think Spaceship Earth did, and clearly, so did Disney.

:wave:

No, I don't see where a gigantic Mickey hand makes sense to stand next to SSE OR the castle.

At one point Disney thought it was a great idea to make the castle into a cake. Let me tell you I worked there that summer, that did not go over well. So just because Disney sees it fit to do something, does not make it "right". I don't think there are alot of magic mirror fans out there either.

BTW, I really think you should follow your own policing of the boards, and not quote someone and tell them why they are wrong, like you originally did. This is the only time I have ever had this type of discussion on these boards over five years, and to be quite honest, I never plan to again. It seems like you sort of seek this out. I should have followed my original thought to just ignore you, but thought it would be interesting to discuss with someone. Instead you just keep talking down to anyone that disagrees with you. That's why I was reffering to you the pot calling the kettle black.

"You think that's a natural comparison?"

"Cant' believe I have to explain this , as in my mind it's very obvious"

Have a great day!

BTW, the castle is not real or life-size :animwink:

Tim G

When I was there in December I recall hearing a CM say the Imagineers were looking into taking it down.
Gee... I heard a bus driver telling a CM the same thing...

And that bus driver has an aunt who's neighbor is a friend of an uncle of an Imagineer... :lookaroun

FantasMickeyM

No, I don't see where a gigantic Mickey hand makes sense to stand next to SSE OR the castle.

At one point Disney thought it was a great idea to make the castle into a cake. Let me tell you I worked there that summer, that did not go over well. So just because Disney sees it fit to do something, does not make it "right". I don't think there are alot of magic mirror fans out there either.

BTW, I really think you should follow your own policing of the boards, and not quote someone and tell them why they are wrong, like you originally did. This is the only time I have ever had this type of discussion on these boards over five years, and to be quite honest, I never plan to again. It seems like you sort of seek this out. I should have followed my original thought to just ignore you, but thought it would be interesting to discuss with someone. Instead you just keep talking down to anyone that disagrees with you. That's why I was reffering to you the pot calling the kettle black.

"You think that's a natural comparison?"

"Cant' believe I have to explain this , as in my mind it's very obvious"

Have a great day!

BTW, the castle is not real or life-size :animwink:

What?
What?

Not sure why I bother doing this.. They did not keep the cake there. I though it was funny, but I wouldn't want it to stay, neither wouold Disney for (in my opinion) obvious reasons.. The wand is still there 7 years on, and I know of no plans of taking it down. You think I seek trouble..? Read my messages! Haha, that's something I haven't been accused of before! The reason I started posting on this thread at all was because of the whole "we hate the wand and everyone who likes it are just stupid" mentality that a few people seemed to have (comparing the wand with bird and stuff..). It wasn't fair nor right. I have said again and again that it's all about o p i n i o n s.. When did I ever tell anyone their opinions are wrong? When did I ever talk down to people for disagreeing? I've told people when I think they're unfair, or treat their own opinions as facts. I've also told people I understand what they mean, but still disagree. If you want to discuss details: The castle does have some optical illusions, like the highest towers are smaller at the top. But it is a real castle building, in proportion enough for people to go into it, sleep, eat and work there. Compared to the sphere and wand, I consider that life size.

Can't we please just stop this stupid discussion, stop the accusing (please..) and the kindergarden mentality? My Daddy is stronger than yours:lol: It's probably clear enough that I like the wand, you don't, and we'll probably never become best friends. Leave it at that? Truce? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom