Epcot Question

ariel84

Although there may be some truth in this story, i highly doubt it. The original concept for World Showcase was to have it housed in two semi-circular buildings located next to the seven seas lagoon. These buldings opened out onto a central courtyard - the courtyord of nations. The feature of this design meant that all countries were the same size on the street front, despite being larger behind. Its design bore no resembelence that of Jaffray's painting.

Upvote 0

SteveUK

Does it matter? Several people may have had grand ideas of building their own theme parks but only one managed it. Everybody gets their ideas from somewhere but it takes a great man to take these ideas and build them into the most successful tourist attraction on Earth.

Upvote 0

Chad

Actually, It wasn't REALLY walts idea for World Showcase, he just wanted EPCOT, but his dream lives more in celebration then in Epcot...

But...
From most of the concept art you can find in the Imagineering book, which was done after Jaffery supposedly met with Disney, it looks nothing like what Jaffery had proposed..It looks like a BIG hotel with no lake, no facades, no gardens, no nothing. So, if the family WANTS them to release old concept art, they're going to find that a majority of it looks nothing like it...

As for what WS came out looking like...I do think it was coincidental...Seriously now, What else would you use to represent france then the eifel tower?!? ANd the Monorail does NOT run through WS, it goes through Future world...And a lake is just a logical solution to divide them up..

More greedy people wanting money...Probably so they can afford to GO to disney world..

Upvote 0
How can you be so sure that it was Walt's original idea? Nobody knows, and I'm sure nobody will ever truely know unless both Jaffray and Walt come back from the dead. ;)

Upvote 0

Imagineer Dave

Not true epcot is all disney. Plus Epcot wasnt designed after just one idea or concept. Epcot is a combination of two park ideas that were decided to be merged together. "World Showcase" and "Future World" were two different proposed parks thought up by two different people that decided to combine the two creations to make Epcot. So there really is now way that disney copied this mans idea because epcot is two seperate ideas put together.

By the way Bdis86 that avatar looks familiar? :lol:

Upvote 0

Imagineer Dave

But what the family of that man are trying to say is that Disney copied his whole idea for Epcot and that everything that Epcot is now is based on this mans drawings, but what im trying to say is that Epcot can't be based on this mans one idea because Epcot is based on two ideas put together. If disney wanted to copy him they wouldnt have came up with the two different park ideas (future world & world showcase) It's kind of hard to explain. Also from what they're saying it sounds like that mans ideas where for some kind of a Worlds Fair and Epcot is not just a Worlds Fair. It's a lot more then that. And it's not like this man came up with or invented the Worlds Fair, that was around before he even had his drawings (so the idea of a Worlds Fair is not his). His drawings have no concepts of a Future World (which Epcot has) so basically his idea was a permanent Worlds Fair, not Epcot.

Upvote 0

Bert

I have read a couple biographies on walt Disney, this is what I think. Actually the original Idea was for Epcot to be a city of the future. Walt wanted people to buy property or rent property with in the city of Epcot. It would be governed and run as a real city. However, it would of course be the city that walt wished would have always exsisted. It would be clean, safe, friendly, and all sorts of other futuristic things woulld be there.

Walt actually made a detailed plan about the idea. Stating such things as ages of people who should live there. For example no retired people could live there etc.

As walt grew older people told him how unrealistic such a plan would be. The idea developed into a place of education to showcase the worlds accomplishments.

So yes, it was sort of walts idea, but most of the stuff was actually developed well after his death.

At least thats my take!

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I know there are some differences betwen American English and the Queens English, so i take it the phrase
we are looking for closure
translates to something like, we were hoping for a big out of court settlement, show me the money!

Upvote 0

WDWFREAK53

I agree...Epcot (the name) was Walt's idea...but the actual park was designed and developed after his death. Walt wanted an EXPERIMENTAL PROTOTYPE COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW...aka...a futuristic city that all cities should be based upon(a little like what's inside space mountain when you ride on the TTA). He didn't mean for it to be a theme park originally.

Upvote 0

dizpins14

Since when are there islands at EPCOT?????? And what's the big freakin deal about having a nice garden. Disneyland had a nice garden when it opened. And importing trees native to the different lands, Disneyland did that in 1955 before these dude ever supposedly met with Disney. Disney had an office in New York???? Maybe I'm wrong about this but I don't think Disney had the money to afford an offices in New York. And the whole copying the train think is stupid cause Disney already built Disneyland with a big train running through its lands, who's copying who know????? Wow that's strange that one would build a lake and then put boats in it to transport people. The ferries at Epcot only travel from Future World to across the lake that's not travaling around the countries like in that guys plan.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom