EPCOT Poll

Do you like what Disney is doing with EPCOT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Imagineer777

I guess that settles it then! ;)

DonaldDoleWhip

Indifferent to the announced France changes, having found Rat to be meh in Paris (and disappointed its addition comes at the expense of a pavilion plot that would’ve been perfect for Spain).

Guardians feels wrong for the park but I’m sure it will be fun. Reluctantly positive about it.

Play Pavilion holds little appeal to me, but I think it’s a net positive + nice recycling of a pavilion and engaging concept. Epcot should have something like this.

Japanese signature restaurant and Space restaurant sound cool.

New films for China and Canada should be an upgrade; that said, Soarin’s update felt right on paper yet was executed poorly.

New entrance is a slam dunk, and the redevelopment of the area beyond Spaceship Earth should be as well.

New nighttime spectacular is a question mark. Should certainly be entertaining but I’m not sure the long-term substitute will live up to IllumiNations.

Once a new WS pavilion is confirmed, I’ll feel more positive about everything; until then I’m somewhat indifferent overall.

Darth Snips

It’s kinda complicated. I really like the artwork for the new entrance. And I’m super hopeful about WS (new films, Rat, Brazil, etc.).
But I don’t have a great feeling about this new Play pavilion, and GotG in FW is just straight up wrong IMHO.
I think a lot will depend on the new look for the spine. This entire project could really live or die based on the what kind of design they go with.
For now, I’ll be optimistic and vote yes, but that might change come D23.

EJ96

I am excited to see EPCOT get some love, would have loved to have seen a Universe of Energy 3.0 hosted by GOTG instead of a <5 minute coaster "experience", but it is what it is. The play pavilion is a good idea to me, even though it doesn't appeal to most people unless you have kids. Even though I enjoyed the pavilion, I never felt WoL fit into Future World with the circus/fair theming, anyway.

I am cautiously optimistic how they will balance what they want to do (IP fest) and what diehards want (front entrance concept art a huge bone thrown at them). I am most upset to be losing Innoventions West, as some of the fondest memories of my childhood are in that building, but looking at the spine in its current state, it's not great. Hopefully they'll blow us away, but I'll always hold my breath on that. I am most excited for the SSE refurb, as it sounds like they want to not only do it right, but bring the whole experience into the modern day, which if holds true, will be AMAZING.

The only way I'll be mad is if they get rid of Figment permanently or even dare touch Living with the Land for anything other than minor refurbishments.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I don't think the changes are the best case scenario. But I'm, overall, happy with what the new direction is looking like. Even the most oddbal, ill fitting aspects (GotG) atleast feel like they'll at least be really cool attractions even if they don't fit.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The EPCOT that was no longer exists, it can't and shouldn't be left to stagnate in its current form Disney are doing the right thing in renovating and changing it, there will be people that will hate it because it is changing what EPCOT was but again that EPCOT hasn't been around for a long time now and it needs to grow again.

Sneezy62

Indifferent, but the poll really needs a confused option. Or What The Heck option. I see the entrance concept art and the space restaurant on the one hand and GotG right in between on the other. Frozen in Norway? I mean if you squint hard enough Nemo, Ratatouille and the Three Cabelleros make some sort of sense, I guess.

Until they finish redoing the central area and come to some sort of resolution on the keystone Imagination Pavilion, there really is no way of judging what they are doing. SSE and the eventual new Illuminations show are hanging out there in the wind too. Maybe there is some way that all this will celebrate and inspire human achievement, in the meantime it is a thought provoking project to watch.

HMFan999

I very much miss the EPCOT of old, but I also fully acknowledge that that's probably nostalgia talking more than anything. Back then Disney was a place of magic and cutting edge technology. Now we all have the sum of human knowledge available to us 24/7 using a computer that fits into our pocket. There was also a perfect storm of talent back then that I don't think we'll ever see again. From Tony Baxter to the Sherman brothers, there were just so many amazing minds building those attractions...

sedati

I am excited to see EPCOT get some love, would have loved to have seen a Universe of Energy 3.0 hosted by GOTG instead of a <5 minute coaster "experience", but it is what it is.
I think this is an example of where thinking needs to change.
If we're only measuring ride-time then this will put it ahead of The Living Seas.
I'm fine with shorter lines if there's a whole immersive experience built around it.
And while UOE will forever reign supreme as longest ride, I think many saw it this way:
Actual Standing Preshow (Radok)
Second preshow (theatre one)
Ride (Dinosaurs!)
Postshow (theatre two)
Trippy-Hippy Finale (theatre one)

Rk2k5

I’m happy with what Disney is doing to Epcot. However, I wish they would do more original attractions then just ips. Whatever they do tho will prob still be great.

No Name

A 67% approval rating on these boards is pretty good for Disney these days. I don't know which side bent more but I'd be inclined to say we've given in.

Personally I will have to withhold judgement. The Guardians coaster building is certainly obtrusive and I worry that the attraction itself will not reflect Epcot's themes. I like that they're adding capacity by using the WoL pavilion space again but the concept doesn't sound too compelling and I worry that it will suffer a lack of foot traffic even for its limited intentions. Also, somewhat irrational, but the WoL pavilion's existence doesn't sit well with my OCD. The Ratatouille ride, as the company successfully tongue-tied us into calling it, has its issues but will be a positive addition. The space restaurant gets my full approval. The entrance largely gets my approval. New films should be good. The middle of Future World has me worried. The IllumiNations replacement, I will reserve judgement. Gondolas, I will reserve judgement. Everything I forgot about, I will reserve judgement. Certainly a good deal of stuff happening though.

jt04

incomplete should certainly be an option...
if only uni had more ready then we might have known everything
😛

Agreed. So far Epcot 2 lacks a hook that is compelling enough. No Pandora or Galaxy's of as of yet. I don't expect we will get anything as big as those but an add that makes a statement about the parks direction seems fundamental to this transformation. IMO

DonaldDoleWhip

Agreed. So far Epcot 2 lacks a hook that is compelling enough. No Pandora or Galaxy's of as of yet. I don't expect we will get anything as big as those but an add that makes a statement about the parks direction seems fundamental to this transformation. IMO
I think this is a great point. Given the piecemeal nature of these updates (and Epcot's overall philosophy of distinct pavilions compared to fully immersive lands), all of the changes feel incremental and not necessarily complementing the same vision. Test Track 2.0, CGI Soarin', and Frozen were similar: two steps forward, one step back, not that exciting compared to the other parks. That's why everything thus far has left me feeling fairly indifferent.

There are some things that could seriously change that:
  • A worthwhile Imagination redo
  • A new World Showcase pavilion
  • Two World Showcase pavilions
  • A great attraction being added to WS (sorry, but Rat isn't great)
  • The scope of Future World's aesthetic redesign

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom