EPCOT Poll

Do you like what Disney is doing with EPCOT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RobidaFlats

I very much miss the EPCOT of old, but I also fully acknowledge that that's probably nostalgia talking more than anything. Back then Disney was a place of magic and cutting edge technology. Now we all have the sum of human knowledge available to us 24/7 using a computer that fits into our pocket. There was also a perfect storm of talent back then that I don't think we'll ever see again. From Tony Baxter to the Sherman brothers, there were just so many amazing minds building those attractions...

But will this seemingly infinite sum of human knowledge become a flood of electronic babble? Or could we use a place to motivate and inspire us to usher in a new age of understanding and cooperation...?

jt04

I think this is a great point. Given the piecemeal nature of these updates (and Epcot's overall philosophy of distinct pavilions compared to fully immersive lands), all of the changes feel incremental and not necessarily complementing the same vision. Test Track 2.0, CGI Soarin', and Frozen were similar: two steps forward, one step back, not that exciting compared to the other parks. That's why everything thus far has left me feeling fairly indifferent.

There are some things that could seriously change that:
  • A worthwhile Imagination redo
  • A new World Showcase pavilion
  • Two World Showcase pavilions
  • A great attraction being added to WS (sorry, but Rat isn't great)
  • The scope of Future World's aesthetic redesign

Agree mostly.

WS still functions as intended although I know purists disagree. I think adding characters that are at least associated with the pavilions will keep them relevant and vital for decades.

my main concern is Future World still seems rudderless and without an overarching vision. Hopefully they are working on it.

Something architecturally impressive in place of Innoventions west would possibly provide that. D23 will be interesting.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
EPCOT as envisioned never was built. Epcot, the amusement park, was with some of the ideas from EPCOT, but as we have seen, they rapidly became dated as technology progressed faster than it took to refresh pavillions. Some of the technologies became politicized to the point where even basic premises became interpreted as dogma.

PorterRedkey

Ladybat

Tell me your thoughts on the upcoming changes to EPCOT
It just seems that they are phasing out dark rides like the original Journey Into Imagination, Horizons, Universe of Energy, etc... those rides IN THEIR ORIGINAL FORM back in the 80s and early 90s before they butchered them up were some of the most fantastic WDW experiences I ever enjoyed. I don't like how now character meets are considered "attractions" in themselves so require long waits or coveted fast passes. I liked how the characters used to be every where walking all over the parks. I do like enter reactive (sp) experiences but not as much as I love the dark rides. I don't really like screen rides either with the exception of Sorin. Perhaps Ratatoule is going to be a dark ride? It won't be ready when I go this time though. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong about the information about these new changes to Epcot but I just get this feeling they are mostly replacing dark rides with enter reactive type of shows. I hope I'm wrong because that makes me sad.

eliza61nyc

I voted yes. I can't compare it to the Epcot of old since I never went but I think just about anything is better than what is there now. Don't really care if it "fits" as long as it's good. I also don't dwell on what "should have/could have" been done.
Illuminations is probably the only thing I'll miss and I really don't have a big problem with that being replaced or updated

Paper straw fan

Here’s my thing some on here seem to glean over- when a park is new, it’s much easier to put together themes for different areas and stay fairly consistent with it. After that, when you are adding on to an existing park, it’s not as easy to stay within the existing themes (especially with the need for IP’s)

It’s similar at Universal and Six Flags, where everything new is also usually tied to an IP. Places like Cedar Point and Busch Gardens can “stay within the lines” because they can just make the ride into theme they want, instead of making an existing theme into a ride.

I agree, it can start to feel all over the place with add ons- but I don’t fault WDW for injecting some more entertainment into the ‘park kids are bored of and demanding to go back to the pool by 11 am’

Disstevefan1

I voted Yes because I like the blue sky drawings and I like the plans they have for the entrance I am glad they are moving the legacy stones and they are bringing back the monoliths in the center of the fountain.

I hear the plan will include the removal of the innoventions buildings INCLUDING CLUB COOL! I am ok with the removal of innoventions since it's never been good since communicore, but I HOPE they relocate club cool!! I love the free soda, even the Beverly!

PorterRedkey

It just seems that they are phasing out dark rides like the original Journey Into Imagination, Horizons, Universe of Energy, etc... those rides IN THEIR ORIGINAL FORM back in the 80s and early 90s before they butchered them up were some of the most fantastic WDW experiences I ever enjoyed. I don't like how now character meets are considered "attractions" in themselves so require long waits or coveted fast passes. I liked how the characters used to be every where walking all over the parks. I do like enter reactive (sp) experiences but not as much as I love the dark rides. I don't really like screen rides either with the exception of Sorin. Perhaps Ratatoule is going to be a dark ride? It won't be ready when I go this time though. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong about the information about these new changes to Epcot but I just get this feeling they are mostly replacing dark rides with enter reactive type of shows. I hope I'm wrong because that makes me sad.
It is interactive, FYI.
I agree that long-form dark ride are on the decline. We lost 2 in one day (GMR and UoE) for heaven’s sake.

Ratatouille is a clone of a ride at the Disneyland Paris resort. It is a dark ride that combines screens with physical sets. Most, if not all of the main action takes place on screens.

Here is an on-ride video if you don’t mind being spoiled. The Epcot version is supposed to be a direct copy of the Paris ride.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm taking a wait and see approach, however other than the GOTG ride, most of the other changes are fine to me.

Play pavilion is fine, Space restaurant is fine, Test Track isn't changing from what I can tell, so that side of the park is covered.

I do worry what they'll do with Spaceship Earth, and I hope they don't try to drag an IP into it.

On the other side...West side (I know, it gets confusing) there's Nemo which might see some minor changes, The Land is not going anywhere and Figment is a dead attraction that's still open and I'm guessing we'll eventually see something change there.

Innoventions has been dead to me for a long time, and the Play pavilion may cover some things that used to be. So maybe there is some good effort coming to re-imagine some exterior aesthetics that are more futuristic for the 2020's instead of the 1980's. It had to happen eventually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom