News EPCOT opening moves to 8:30am from today

Goatx

Geez.

We booked starting the week after Easter week for 2023. I was thinking it would be "less" crowded than Spring Break weeks...I'll have to keep an eye on this year. I think the equivalent week this year would be 4/26-5/5.
It doesn't matter when you go, someone somewhere has spring break, then there's parents who don't care about school anyway and even when you think you picked a good week, a bus comes and drops off 500 cheerleaders at the front step of your hotel. Every day is crowded, except like late January/early February.

correcaminos

I just realized I wrote the wrong dates. Meant to be 14th to 17th. I'll go fix it, thank you
It's prime week for central Florida spring break that week. We just happen to coincide with those dates where I live. That week is expected to be pretty busy.

ToTBellHop

I checked the park availability for March yesterday... and from the 14th to the 17th it was already on orange alert. I think on the 13th the only park not yet full was Epcot, in fact.

Curious if there's a reason those days got full first, given they're Monday to Thursday
People arrive on weekends for the week.

Lilofan

I’m happy for this change, mornings at Epcot are very nice.
What was really nice and quiet was back in the day when the entire park including World Showcase opened when the park opened. To walk around WS, visiting the countries and its offerings first thing in the morning was neat.

ToTBellHop

Hope they make the earlier openings permanent at some point so garden grill can do it’s breakfast again.
It is beyond time for it to return to 9 am to 9 pm. It’s not lost upon me that the initial 50th hours were 10 am to 10 pm and then they quietly removed that last hour. Add it to the morning! I hate showing up to Epcot in the summer when it is already 85 degrees.

correcaminos

What was really nice and quiet was back in the day when the entire park including World Showcase opened when the park opened. To walk around WS, visiting the countries and its offerings first thing in the morning was neat.
The entire park is opening at 8:30. Though with Remy and Frozen it might not be rhe same.

I actually don't have real memories of the park opening entirely at once. I do remember when future world would close at 7 and only WS was open at 9. Must have been when I was a kid and time wasn't something I thought about.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Headline: "Historic Epcot hours lead to unprecedented levels of day drinking" I mean, since opening half an hour earlier than what was the norm pre-pandemic is "historic" and all. ;)

"We need to give the consumers something to do early in the day, since we have unprecedented levels of demand for our daytime activations, thanks to my genius with our pricing and brand power, that only increases labor costs slightly or else the Board will throw a shoe at me and shoe polish is difficult to clean off my bald head. What can we do?"
"How about we open up the half ruined park, half construction zone at 8:30am? We can sell booze earlier than ever, since you like the profit margins"
"Brilliant!!! You're promoted!"

Lilofan

The entire park is opening at 8:30. Though with Remy and Frozen it might not be rhe same.

I actually don't have real memories of the park opening entirely at once. I do remember when future world would close at 7 and only WS was open at 9. Must have been when I was a kid and time wasn't something I thought about.
All of Epcot opening at 9am at one time. Peaceful to enjoy World Showcase in the early AM, only felt like walking a mile to get there.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Headline: "Historic Epcot hours lead to unprecedented levels of day drinking" I mean, since opening half an hour earlier than what was the norm pre-pandemic is "historic" and all. ;)

"We need to give the consumers something to do early in the day, since we have unprecedented levels of demand for our daytime activations, thanks to my genius with our pricing and brand power, that only increases labor costs slightly or else the Board will throw a shoe at me and shoe polish is difficult to clean off my bald head. What can we do?"
"How about we open up the half ruined park, half construction zone at 8:30am? We can sell booze earlier than ever, since you like the profit margins"
"Brilliant!!! You're promoted!"
Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning. :p

correcaminos

All of Epcot opening at 9am at one time. Peaceful to enjoy World Showcase in the early AM, only felt like walking a mile to get there.
Again I don't remember when that was. I assume it was when I was a kid and didn't even wear a watch, as I have been going since before Epcot opened (first trip they were building still). I only remember about mid 90s on for timing of stuff when we started planning more than my parents. At that time it was 11 am WS open but FW closed at 7.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Again I don't remember when that was. I assume it was when I was a kid and didn't even wear a watch, as I have been going since before Epcot opened (first trip they were building still). I only remember about mid 90s on for timing of stuff when we started planning more than my parents. At that time it was 11 am WS open but FW closed at 7.

In 1990, the park was 9am-7pm, according to my Birnbaum's. But sometime in the 90's it went to 9a-7p for FW and 11a-9p for WS. Those were the park hours for the 25th, I am 100% sure of that.

correcaminos

In 1990, the park was 9am-7pm, according to my Birnbaum's. But later in the 90's it went to 9a-7p for FW and 11a-9p for WS.
Thank you!!!Yep I was too young then to know! I was 5 when Epcot opened. So it took me until I was in HS to actually care about times and such.

All our old Birnbaums are at my dad's and sadly googling didn't help me find out when the change happened. Not surprised I didn't know in 1990 as my mom was still alive (we stayed at CBR in 1990). But our next trip she had passed and we were doing more planning than my dad did. My mom was THE planner in our house and then it shifted to us when we would actually need to pay attention like she did.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thank you!!!Yep I was too young then to know! I was 5 when Epcot opened. So it took me until I was in HS to actually care about times and such.

All our old Birnbaums are at my dad's and sadly googling didn't help me find out when the change happened. Not surprised I didn't know in 1990 as my mom was still alive (we stayed at CBR in 1990). But our next trip she had passed and we were doing more planning than my dad did. My mom was THE planner in our house and then it shifted to us when we would actually need to pay attention like she did.
No problem. :) I can also confirm that entertainment at various places around WS started at 10am back in late 1983, so that would confirm all of EPCOT Center opened at 9am until sometime in the 90's.

correcaminos

No problem. :) I can also confirm that entertainment at various places around WS started at 10am back in late 1983, so that would confirm all of EPCOT Center opened at 9am until sometime in the 90's.
Thanks again! One of those I lived it, but sure didn't have a need to remember those things. I was more enthralled with the booking of meals ;) Really and truly that's what I remember just being totally taken aback by other than seeing Epcot in 1982 being finished when I was 5 from the monorail. We returned the next summer to see it opened. Or when they had the robots that spun plates. You can imagine a 6yo doesn't really care what time they get up to go somewhere 🤣 Even in 1990 my parents let us all go while they had lunch at France. I wasn't the one with the watch! I loved Epcot as a kid though. Not surprisingly my 14yo says that's his favorite park too. Love knowing all the history I've forgotten or didn't realize happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom