Epcot New Year's Eve madness (photos and wait times)

raven

That's for sure. I saw a guy pushing a stroller with one hand, beer in the other and he would literally walk up to people and bark loudly in their faces. Gotta love obnoxious drunks. :rolleyes:

One of my biggest pet peeves. Not drunks but people with their kids passed out in the strollers at 2AM pushing them through large crowds and having no respect for their children. :rolleyes:

donaldfan

I'm one of them. :animwink:

You guys (the cast of EPCOT) are AMAZING!!

I always make a point to go up to a custodial (sp?) CM after ROE is over and tell them who amazed I am at the cleanliness of EPCOT. Every single time the person genuinely thanked me and conveyed in their own way a sense of pride.

LudwigVonDrake

One of my biggest pet peeves. Not drunks but people with their kids passed out in the strollers at 2AM pushing them through large crowds and having no respect for their children. :rolleyes:

I'm with you! I was in the Magic Kingdom during an evening EMH in July and was shocked by the large numbers of little kids just dragging their butts at 2:30 in the morning while Mommy and Daddy kept hustling them along.

raven

I always make a point to go up to a custodial (sp?) CM after ROE is over and tell them who amazed I am at the cleanliness of EPCOT. Every single time the person genuinely thanked me and conveyed in their own way a sense of pride.

Just a little insight:

Th night crews are hardly ever seen by guests except maybe for a few minutes on EMH nights if they decide to walk to their details. Not condoning regular costumed custodial or tooting my own horn but they simply are there to upkeep what has been done during the night. If the night crew has done their work right, you shouldn't notice the work they do. They deep clean every inch of concrete, carpet, restroom, queue, ride and restaurants in the parks. Once their work is done it's up to the day custodial (in the white costumes) to up keep the cleanliness.

I dispise it when people call them a "janitor" because they say it as to degrade the role. Most people don't even know the amount of effort and lengths that people in the night have to go through, including the massive equipment used, to make it look fresh each day. This also includes horticulture, food distributors and stockers, maintenence and show support.

Every sweeper truck you may see on property is deployed from Epcot. During the day they sweep the parking lots of the resorts and roads. At night they do the parking lots of the parks, water parks and DTD. One is even on standby behind MK while the fireworks are going on in order to quickly clean up the debris on the roads to quickly them open again.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
OK, OK, I've been to Disney at some really busy times, but this officially boggles my mind. It's inconceivable to me that someone is going to stand in line for four hours? Really?? Are people really standing there for that long??? How could you even do that???

Reading that makes me think I should never, ever, go to WDW for New Years' Eve.

Just be smart. We went to DAK during the day, and crowds were normal. Waited 20 min for KS mid-day, Everest fastpasses available per normal with only about a 45 min stand-by line, no problem getting into shows (except Nemo), etc. Then to Epcot for fireworks with no intention of riding anything. Atmosphere was wonderful, and we noted that the waits for FW attractions other than TT, Soarin' and M:S were not bad at all (30 min SE, essentially zero for LwtL, Nemo, Energy, Figment, EO. We walked around WS, danced a bit in the mosh pit that was China, did some shopping, took pics under the TT loop when we were routed backstage, bought some drinks, and watched the fireworks. It was very enjoyable. If I had gone intended to ride a bunch of stuff, I'd have been upset, but be realistic, and it's a great time.

juan

I ran into some great custodial CMs NYE:

I was walking in UK wearing a white hat and a seagull dropped a bomb right on me. I went to the restroom to clean it up and a friendly custodial CM cleaning the restroom said "Let's get you a new hat" He took the time to take me to the shop next door to write a replacement coupon.

Props to great guest service! :sohappy::sohappy:

toolsnspools

I know MK closed a few times last year, but I don't recall EPCOT ever closing. We were there for NYE and unless I am mistaken it did not close for capacity.

I checked the news archives. It was AK on the 28th and DHS on the 29th that were closed due to capacity. EPCOT did not get closed last year. I imagine the capaicty of EPCOT is pretty high. Someone posted pictures of people laid out on all the grassy areas in EPCOT taking naps. Looked like the witch from Snow White had been busy handing out apples.

TuffyCatt

I checked the news archives. It was AK on the 28th and DHS on the 29th that were closed due to capacity. EPCOT did not get closed last year. I imagine the capaicty of EPCOT is pretty high. Someone posted pictures of people laid out on all the grassy areas in EPCOT taking naps. Looked like the witch from Snow White had been busy handing out apples.

Even though Epcot apparently wasn't as crowded this NYE, we still saw plenty of people taking naps in random parts of the park, including almost any open grassy area. In the building next to Club Cool (or whatever it's called now) with the long carpeted hallway there were people napping all over the place. I really wanted to see the little Epcot timeline in there, since I hadn't seen it before, but had to awkwardly lean over two people napping on the floor in order to see it. Definitely something I haven't seen at any other time at Epcot - but I guess it's something to do when attraction lines go up to 260 minutes! We personally found walking around and people watching plenty entertaining.

COProgressFan

Just a little insight:

Th night crews are hardly ever seen by guests except maybe for a few minutes on EMH nights if they decide to walk to their details. Not condoning regular costumed custodial or tooting my own horn but they simply are there to upkeep what has been done during the night. If the night crew has done their work right, you shouldn't notice the work they do. They deep clean every inch of concrete, carpet, restroom, queue, ride and restaurants in the parks. Once their work is done it's up to the day custodial (in the white costumes) to up keep the cleanliness.

I dispise it when people call them a "janitor" because they say it as to degrade the role. Most people don't even know the amount of effort and lengths that people in the night have to go through, including the massive equipment used, to make it look fresh each day. This also includes horticulture, food distributors and stockers, maintenence and show support.

Every sweeper truck you may see on property is deployed from Epcot. During the day they sweep the parking lots of the resorts and roads. At night they do the parking lots of the parks, water parks and DTD. One is even on standby behind MK while the fireworks are going on in order to quickly clean up the debris on the roads to quickly them open again.

Raven, we truly appreciate all you do to keep Epcot in great shape!

A serious question - is there any reason that Epcot generally seems so clean and maintained while the MK looks so worn? Is this a result of management differences between parks? I am not talking about maintenance such as painting or carpentry, but the deep cleaning you talk about -- dirty pavement, dirty or stained carpets, dusty displays, tarnished brass, light fixtures full of bugs, dirty tile grout, etc. These are the things that I would think the overnight "deep cleaners" would address, but these often seem neglected at the MK more so than the other parks.

flavious27

A jam packed Land pavilion

picture.php

Soarin 280minute wait!

I don't think I have seen the Land that packed before, that looks crazy.

flavious27

Who the heck would wait 50 minutes for IMAGINATION.....FREAKING IMAGINATION. Waiting 50 minutes for a ride (a complete waste of space compared to it's former glory in it's original form), with broken effects and out of sync audio....fantastic. You'll be imagining alright, imagining you were on a better ride, so that you won't go CRAZY.

Hey some people wanted to go on something, anything.

flavious27

Wow :eek: It boggles my mind that I could leave for Philly Intl, get on a flight to Orlando and arrive before someone gets on a ride if they got in the line at the same time I left my home. No ride is worth that. Did they set up portable toilets in the que :lol:

In the time that someone waited, you could have flown down and caught Tron at the AMC at DTD and rode Imagination! just as they got through Soarin.

flavious27

79,000 was projected. And less than 4 hours after the last park guest left the property last night the park opened again for it's normal operating day today...with no evidence a party of that magnitude took place just hours before. The place is spotless! :animwink:

RIP Roy Jr, that man helped to restore WDW to what we expect.

flavious27

My point exactly.

In any other type of venue, the Fire Marshall would disperse too many people crowded into the same area that it wasn't designed to hold. I fail to see why this is acceptable, and condoned, in a theme park.

Because WDW brings in so much revenue that there is not an income tax.

rct247

Has anyone come across any good photo reports of the crowds over at Magic Kingdom, especially on Main Street and the Hub around parade and fireworks time?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom